Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Monster Garage  (Read 13561 times)

Offline landracing

• Rider
    • http://www.landracing.com
Monster Garage
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 01:44:03 AM »
Negative wrong answer,

Craig Breedlove was first to set a record over the 400 mph barrier but was not first over 400 mph. Craig Breedlove set the record with his three wheeled jet car for first record over 400 mph.

Anybody else want a shot at that.

landracing

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 02:08:11 AM »
Art Arfons, in the Green Monster?.

Offline landracing

• Rider
Monster Garage
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2005, 03:30:34 AM »
Arfons came in the picture after Breedlove, in mid 60's, so whammy wrong answer.

landracing

Offline JACKD

• Rider
WRONG PEANUT
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2005, 04:04:52 AM »
A three wheeled vehicle was and is never going to be a car.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Hank

• Mad Post Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2005, 07:35:34 AM »
Hank's going to kick my ass?, nah it wasn't directed at him, and he knows it.

I am glad Brian is my buddy.He is a BIG guy.Sheep? What sheep? :D  :D
Arcane WorldWide Racing,
home of the 701 hp Hayabusa,
and the"Original Ghetto"Banana™©®.

Offline landracing

• Rider
Monster Garage
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2005, 10:33:04 AM »
come on jack, you dont know this answer????

And yes after making the record run for Breedlove with his three wheeler it was not determined a car and was later deemed a motorcycle.

Landracing

Anybody else have any guesses on who the first person over 400 mph.

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2005, 10:39:45 AM »
Was it "Donald Campbell" Related to Sir Malcolm Campbell that first went over 400? I know that the Golden Rod that Tommy and Dick Smothers owned went over 400, But I think that Donald Campbell may have been forst!
Made History at Daytona and still one Fast Old Man

Offline landracing

• Rider
Monster Garage
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2005, 11:51:45 AM »
Vincent,

Getting close, but wrong answer, Donald campbelll did set a record over 400 at 403 mph at Lake Eyre in 1964. One year after Breedlove set the record at 407.5 mph. He used a turbine engine in that attempt. But still looking for the first person over 400 mph any more guesses on the subject.

And vincent your statement of "I know that the Golden Rod that Tommy and Dick Smothers owned went over 400" did you mean Bob and Bill Summer Brothers with GoldenRod who went 409.2 in 1965.

Golden Rod went 400 mph after Breedlove and Campbell but there are two more people who went 400 before all of those. and two people who went over 400 between Campbell and Goldenrod.  Keep the guesses coming this is turning into a nice history lesson.

Landracing

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2005, 12:48:27 PM »
According to this, Craig Breedlove was the first person to exceed 400 mph at Bonneville.

http://www.encyclopedia4u.com/s/spirit-of-america.html

He set his first record on September 5, 1963 at Bonneville, the first man to exceed 400 mph.

Is that wrong?.

I didn't look anything up at first, I just made a somewhat informed guess.

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2005, 01:31:26 PM »
I got the Smothers Brothers Road Racing mixed up with the Summer Brothers!

I really thought the other lesser Known Campbell that was more into Boats was the GUY!

Arfons was later! I now know who it was, Mickey Thompson In the Challenger 1 powered by 4 Pontiac Engines September 9, 1960 3 years before Campbell! I had to dig to find this one!

Offline JACKD

• Rider
AND THE QUESTION IS
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2005, 03:40:12 PM »
Hill os old. Amo  is young.
You know I know the answer.
If you can't get the question right and know the differece, what are you going to do with the answer ?
The only misidentification between a car and a bike was in the press that wanted to represent themselves as having the best informaton.
That is why the beer book is more widely read than the record book and the rule book changes with the wind.
ENJOY
OBTW
MT went 354mph and Jim Travis just restored it for Danny.
And don't start another war with England, they take it very serious.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline landracing

• Rider
Monster Garage
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2005, 07:16:12 PM »
os2e,

The book is incorrect, Breedlove was not the first person over 400 mph. HE WAS the first person to set a record over 400 mph.

Vincent,

Keep digging You are getting close Mickey was the second person to go over 400 mph.

JackD,

What do  you mean "If you can't get the question right..." The question is simple who is the first person over 400 mph.

Landracing

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2005, 07:58:45 PM »
John Cobb ??

Offline landracing

• Rider
Monster Garage
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2005, 08:19:44 PM »
we have a winner

John Cobb piloting is Railton Mobile Special went 403 mph on a one way trip down the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1947. Powered by 2 Superchargerd Napier Lion engines. He later died at Loch Ness attempting the water mark at over 200 mh. He was the first to put a jet engine into a boat.

Steve I give you a pat on the back.

that was fun anyway.

landracing

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2005, 08:30:36 PM »
Thanks - I was going to say George Eyston  first - but I think he "only" went 394 or so.

Offline JACKD

• Rider
TRY AGAIN
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2005, 09:06:34 PM »
You said Craig had a 3 wheel jet car.
Nobody had a 3 wheeled jet car.
Change your question just a little bit and the answer will follow right along.
Do we remember the first single engined , piston car over 300 or over 400 ?

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2005, 09:41:56 PM »
Quote from: landracing
we have a winner

John Cobb piloting is Railton Mobile Special went 403 mph on a one way trip down the Bonneville Salt Flats in 1947. Powered by 2 Superchargerd Napier Lion engines. He later died at Loch Ness attempting the water mark at over 200 mh. He was the first to put a jet engine into a boat.

Steve I give you a pat on the back.

that was fun anyway.

landracing

The problem is, the records Books show his 2 way average of 394

With sponsorship funds from Shell Oil Co. and Goodyear, Breedlove finished his revolutionary new jet-car in 1962 and took it to Bonneville, expecting to break Englishman John Cobb's land speed record of 394 mph in an effort to bring home the record to America for the first time in more than 30 years. The new car's handling problems prevented Craig from doing that, but his sponsors hung on.

Craig Breedlove - smiling typically

The 26 year old Craig Breedlove went to Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats again in August 1963 hoping to break John Cobb's 1947 world land speed record of 394.20 mph.  His car no sported a steerable nose wheel and a high, vertical stabilizer on the car.  When he returned, he had indeed driven the fastest vehicle on Earth. But just the nature of the vehicle became a topic for debate because it did not have four wheels and the wheels were not driven.

Some said his Spirit of America was not a car but a motorcycle because it had only three wheels. Others said its jet engine meant it wasn't a car or a motorcycle, but something that defied existing classifications. Everyone agreed that Breedlove had driven this 38-ft.-long tricycle in both directions across Bonneville's measured mile at an average speed of 407.45 mph, clearly a record for wheeled vehicles.

Looks like 3 wheels to me!
ALso his latest Car. I think all of this "Cars" were 3 wheel design  and are technically a Motorcycle

Offline landracing

• Rider
Monster Garage
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2005, 11:05:35 PM »
Yes vincent record was 394 but he had a 403 one way pass on the two way average. Thats why it was good trivia.

Craigs current car is not three wheeled it does have 4 wheels.

JackD,

Sir Malcolm Cambell was first over 300 with single engine. He used a V-12 Napier Lion Engine.
And what do you call Craigs first car. It was powered by a j-47 jet engine.

Im outta here guys Im off to portland for Freuds Bonneville Northwest Reunion.

Landracing

Offline VincentHill

• Post Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2005, 09:52:08 AM »
Remember I stated "3" wheel Design. His First Jet car only had 3 wheels but the second car has the front wheel in 2 sections to make it "4" Wheels, but since they are together, I called it a 3 wheel design not 3 wheeler.

Yes it was a 1 way run and that was what I was looking for and could not find! You win!

Offline JACKD

• Rider
I guess you had to be there.
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2005, 10:34:55 AM »
I  WAS.

Offline Blackhawk

• Mad Post Whore
Monster Garage
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2005, 06:23:01 AM »
Quote from: Hank
Sheep? What sheep? :D  :D

Its time to come clean Hanky... Don't make us request a search warrant to come over to your place and have a little looksy.
If we don't actually find the missing sheep, I bet we find you have a strange appreciation for fine knit sweaters  :lmao:
PSI's Matters Racing
2003 Pro Street Hayabusa -- NLR Power/AMS Boost Control