Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Mayabe I dont have a fuel leak, but an OIL SPRAY?  (Read 944 times)

Offline •Khandy•Rhed•Bhusa•

• Post Whore
Mayabe I dont have a fuel leak, but an OIL SPRAY?
« on: June 05, 2006, 07:24:39 AM »
After I got the bike rolling after the 'wreck' It seemed as though I was using twice as much gas as before.  While riding without the fairings, I would notice every once in a while I would feel a sprinkle of liquid on my right arm.  It was not ever wet and disappeared before I could see it. Much like gasoline does.  I would ride, then park. Then get on later and gas seems to have evaporated.

Thats when I knew something was up.  Before I could go a week plus on a tank of gas. And thats with playing around. Now I have to fill up like every 2 days. That a big difference. Also my MPG is always good over 39 and even hit 41+  But even cruising in 6th gear makes gas go bye bye.

My question is, where would gas leak from? Very visible locations?  My guesses are either Leak, Me messing around way to much, tank floaty, or MAYBE PLUGS? I have not changed plugs since I had it at 5k miles and its 17k now, sure bet it has not been changed since it was bought. But the bike does not misfire or loss on power or anything if it were to be plugs.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 08:07:02 PM by Hayaboosta03 »

Offline busamagic

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Possible fuel leak? MPG is good though
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 03:31:18 PM »
start by checking everything you replaced or messed with.how bad was the wreck?
Cruising on a Harley

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 04:44:18 PM »
wreck was not too bad for the bike, just cosmetic.  I did look under the tank before but not too much, didnt know what to look for. I will check again.

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:05:35 PM »
These pics show the left side of the engine, that all the plugs and stuff were sprayed with liquid most likely what?  Thats why they are wet/dirty looking.  I know all this can't be chain lube right?  The top hose from the airbox looked to be wet as the part where its connected (ON THE PLASTIC, on LAST PIC) I can not see any loose connections.  Also when I did the airbox mod last year, there was oil in the airbox, there was still some when I opened it up last week?? Whats up with that? could this be an oil spray? and maybe a gas leak not happening I dunno.

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
Re: Mayabe I dont have a fuel leak, but an OIL SPRAY?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:56:40 PM »
jacque cousteau had better underwater night time photography in the 70's than the camera phone pics you just posted.
its fuel. take it to someone who has a clue.

Occam's Razor;
With all things being equal, the simplest explanation/answer is normally the correct answer.

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:06:06 PM »
  Also when I did the airbox mod last year, there was oil in the airbox, there was still some when I opened it up last week?? Whats up with that? could this be an oil spray? and maybe a gas leak not happening I dunno.

Regarding the oil in the airbox. I recall one of your first posts was a question about checking oil level. You had drastically overfilled the engine with oil. If the airbox was never cleaned out, after some of the excess oil was vented into the airbox, that could explain why the oil is in there now. Unless you're still overfilling the engine oil.  :o

I can't tell anything from those pics. Sorry.

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 06:19:50 AM »
Thanks 02SE I was thinking that yesterday on my way to work, come to think of it, I never did clean it out real good after I filled it way too much thanks!

So that sooty stuff does look like fuel huh? I will have it looked at when I get the money then, Thanks. I know where to start.

Offline JorNic Motorsports

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 09:33:35 AM »
no, have it looked at now or dont ride it. remember that fuel is flamable. spraying fuel directly on a hot surface will never end well.

Offline h82bbad

• Post Master
    • MYSPACE
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:22:02 AM »
no, have it looked at now or dont ride it. remember that fuel is flamable. spraying fuel directly on a hot surface will never end well.
+1
exhaust by Motorhead.