Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: subframe failures  (Read 6360 times)

Offline dnolder

• Rider
subframe failures
« on: November 24, 2002, 08:42:00 PM »
I'm looking at Hayabusa's, there's a 2000 close by but looking at some of the posts, should I stay away because of subframe problems with 99 and 00's? Second question I currently have a 2002 FZ1, can you use genmar and helibars without changing to new cables? I'm no new rider (50 yrs old) I just like power. I appreciate any comments (like maybe I'm nuts for wanting on) Thanks

Offline dnolder

• Rider
subframe failures
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 08:44:00 PM »
I mean helibars and genmar for a Hayabusa. Thanks Again

Offline Bigfun

• Post Master
subframe failures
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 10:13:00 PM »
I don't know about the bars, but don't be so paranoid about the subframe "issue" that you avoid the '99 and '00 for that reason, that's a perfect example of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. My '00 has a bit over 36,000 miles on it with somewhere between 5-10,000 of that two-up, and have had no problems with it. BUT! I also don't have a four-one aftermarket exhaust system which may be a contributing factor to sub-frame failures with those years because the stock, two muffler exhaust system also functions as a support for the aluminum subframe. That's what I have heard anyway and it does make sense. If you would buy a '99 or '00 just keep an eye on the welds, aquire a steel unit, or add subframe reinforcements which are available but I don't remember from who, and watch the massive "Stoppies". Despite what you may have heard, there are a lot of satified, happy '99 and '00 Busa riders out there. If you do decide to look at the bike you mention, be sure that the latest (third generation) updates have been performed on the cam chain tensioner. I am 51 years old and would not trade my '00 for any other year Hayabusa.

Offline Twisted

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
subframe failures
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 10:25:00 PM »
art 51? huh? you have been posting you're baby pictures?

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
subframe failures
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 10:35:00 PM »
My '00 has 38,000+ miles soon to be 39,000 by december.

I have not had the "Aluminum" Sub-Frame issue, but I have the Original Exhaust on it also...

Ride mainly Solo, but have done my share of 2-up riding also.

If your only worried about the '00's subframe, then buy the Sub-Frame braces that can be found here..

Go get it & Enjoy it    

Peace,
Busafied
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
subframe failures
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »
I have a 2000 with a 4-2-1 single side exhaust. It has done 18,000ish miles. I ride solo with no luggage and check it regularly and it's fine.

The previous owner put the exhaust on and rode two up lots judging by the wear on the pillion pegs, so I don't see that I have anything to worry about. I'm 180lbs    ...OK, 196lbs.
Sandy fan!

Up to my neck in shit...standing on your shoulders.

Offline Bigfun

• Post Master
subframe failures
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2002, 11:49:00 PM »
Twisted: No baby pictures, but there is one of me over in the photo section that is fairly fresh, I'm sitting on my "Blimpbike".

Offline Bus Rydr

• Post Whore
subframe failures
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2002, 11:49:00 PM »
Another 2000 Busa owner with over 30,000 miles.  No problems with the Busa period.

And yes, the Helibars will fit with all the stock length cables and hoses. But if the brake lines  have not been changed, you may want to think about switching to braided steel.  Original rubber hoses should be getting a little spungy by now.

Offline CuriousMike

• Rider
subframe failures
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 12:42:00 AM »
gn,
I have Heli-Bars and Reapers 3/4" risers on.

I removed an eye-bolt that the front brake line goes thru to insure I had enough slack for the front end.

After many wheelies, I can say there is plenty of room for the front brake line...  

If you have an aftermarket windscreen, you will need to trim your windscreen a bit for full lock clearance ( the top of the brake master cylinder will graze the windscreen.)  I've done this to both my Double Bubble and Sport-Touring screen.

Before buying the Gen-Mars for $100++, give a shout out to member "Reaper" and ask about his handlebar risers... he sell's them for ~$35 shipped.

Offline benmagne

• Rider
subframe failures
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2002, 08:06:00 AM »
the bar risers was mountet on the 2000 bike i bought. apr 2,5-3 cm  (1"-1 1/4")
and  the clutch wire was to short and had to be changed.

if you ride the bike for several hrs tripps,  you should consider corbine sadles
www.corbine.com

I have riding Honda for more than 10 years,
so i did have an hard time to chose between the
XX and the busa,  now that i have had the busa
I am wery satisfaied and the xx is no objeckt anny more.
Ben
PM,,  I am from Norway.. so pardon my french

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
subframe failures
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2002, 08:13:00 AM »
Every 99-00 Aluminum subframe has the potential to fail. That does not mean all of them will but no one knows if theirs will fail or not,it's just a roll of the dice and you must seriously ask yourself if you are willing to take that chance. I would hate to have mine break while dragracing,doing a topend run,riding a passenger or being 300 miles from home. There have been cases where the subframe failed and caused the rear tire to lockup and cause a crash (So far only in the U.K)
Here are some pics of Broken Subframes

This is a different bike

War is nothing more than Old Men talking while Young men die

Offline benmagne

• Rider
subframe failures
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2002, 10:26:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Magne Kristiansen:
the bar risers was mountet on the 2000 bike i bought. apr 2,5-3 cm  (1"-1 1/4")
and  the clutch wire was to short and had to be changed.

if you ride the bike for several hrs tripps,  you should consider corbine sadles
www.corbine.com

I have riding Honda for more than 10 years,
so i did have an hard time to chose between the
XX and the busa,  now that i have had the busa
I am wery satisfaied and the xx is no objeckt anny more.
Ben

Offline benmagne

• Rider
subframe failures
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2002, 10:30:00 AM »
it dosent look like quoting is for mi to manage
i told that the clutch wire had to bee cangeed
it was the choke that were replaced . sorry
Ben