Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Exhaust and cracked subframes.  (Read 4932 times)

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
Exhaust and cracked subframes.
« on: November 19, 2002, 10:07:00 PM »
Suzuki say cracked sub frames are down to after market exhaust, because the two original spec exhaust are stress baring members. So, does that mean any after market exhaust, or just single side exhaust?

I have a full single side Yosh system, but my frame is OK. Will it remain that way? Suzuki also say it's a twisting action on the frame that breaks it, rather than a downward force, so why did they blame the exhaust in the first place?  
Sandy fan!

Up to my neck in shit...standing on your shoulders.

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 10:19:00 PM »
They said any after market exhaust. The pictures I saw and the comment was that the aftermarket exhaust are mounted with a clamp and rubber bushing. I don't think Suzuki has EVER come out and said that it was a twisting action or any other kind of force. As far as I know, they say as little as possible about it. If they said it was a twisting action, they would be admitting they know about the weakness. As far as will it be ok? Who knows. Get some braces, at least they will purportedly  keep you from crashing.
Mike

Offline Busafied™

• Mad Post Whore
    • My Homepage and BS..
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2002, 11:06:00 PM »
If your insecure/unsure, and don't want the headache..

Do a search on billet subframe braces, a member here, just recently posted his new Billet Braces for the Aluminum subframe, to eliminate/reduce the possiblity of this weakness biting you in the butt, pun intended  

Peace,
Busafied
"You're Only Limited, By Your Own Mind..." My Home Page 
I built the Motor and the Turbo System. RIP {CDK} 11-11-08 I miss you...

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2002, 11:44:00 PM »
A guy at Suzuki HQ told me the fault lay with riders mounting their bikes by standing on the foot peg and then swinging their leg over. This was the twisting action on the subframe Suzuki blamed for the cracks. They're very defensive and unconvincing in their answers.
Sandy fan!

Offline A&J Performance

• Post Master
    • http://www.A-JPerformance.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 11:48:00 PM »
contact gixx1300r he has the braces.

Offline Gottabusa

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2002, 11:51:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Funky Moped:
A guy at Suzuki HQ told me the fault lay with riders mounting their bikes by standing on the foot peg and then swinging their leg over. This was the twisting action on the subframe Suzuki blamed for the cracks. They're very defensive and unconvincing in their answers.

I always thought the rearsets were attached to the main frame or whatever, though I've never really payed attention. If it's the passenger pegs they're talking about, then how the hell is the passenger supposed to get on the bike without burning the f**k out of their leg?!?!?!? Just the ussual run-around if ya' ask me. It's always the operators fault!  

Offline TaoBusa

• Post Master
    • Yorihey.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2002, 12:15:00 AM »
There have been cases of subframe failures on bikes with stock exhausts. That was nothing more than a very lame excuse by Suzuki to prevent paying for a bunch of new subframes.  

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2002, 02:06:00 AM »
I dedicate my 100th post to Sandra Bullock. SANDRA IF YOU'RE READING THIS, AND WE KNOW YOU ARE YOU 'BUSA FAN YOU, I SPEND MOST DAYS DEFENDING YOUR HONOUR AGAINST THE STUPID OPINIONS OF THE FOOLISH. This ones for you, darling, keep up the good work.

As for Suzuki, it's a good job that on balance they have such a desirable         product, because collectively they have treated the Hayabusa owner with contempt. SHAME AND A POX ON THEE, VILE SUZUKI. You should take a lesson from the pages of Bullock.
Sandy fan!

Offline BlueCat!

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 09:04:00 PM »
Err...! Sandra?
Sandy fan!

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2002, 09:09:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Narcissus:
There have been cases of subframe failures on bikes with stock exhausts. That was nothing more than a very lame excuse by Suzuki to prevent paying for a bunch of new subframes.    

I agree 100%. Take a look at a 600/750 or 1000 subframe. Those bikes also have a single exhaust endcan from the factory
War is nothing more than Old Men talking while Young men die

Offline Bigfun

• Post Master
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2002, 10:33:00 PM »
"Pages of Bullock"?  

Offline SJJBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2002, 10:46:00 PM »
quote:
A guy at Suzuki HQ told me the fault lay with riders mounting their bikes by standing on the foot peg and then swinging their leg over. This was the twisting action on the subframe Suzuki blamed for the cracks. They're very defensive and unconvincing in their answers
What a load of horse$hit! Any passenger I have ever had, always uses the driver's peg on the left side as a step up, and then swings a leg over the seat.

SJJBusa