Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Front fork advice  (Read 8321 times)

Offline zxrider11

• Apprentice Post Whore
Front fork advice
« on: February 27, 2007, 01:21:34 PM »
I currently own a 2006 Hayabusa, and have accummulated about 3,000 miles since purchased new last fall.  I am looking for improved suspension performance, and I mostly ride twisties and corners on the street with an occasional track day.  My riding buddies have CBR1ks, R6, and 954rrs.  I can hang with them in the corners just fine for now, but I am looking for any extra help I can get in the suspension department.

I am having Race Tech .95 springs installed in my front forks, along with the Gold Valve kit.  The quote I received from a certified Race Tech suspension shop locally is $350. 

Should I have the fork seals replaced too?  Any other suggestions?  I weight 200 pounds fully geared up. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here is a link to a few pics of my ride:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/zxrider11/2006%20Hayabusa/IMG_0022.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/zxrider11/2006%20Hayabusa/IMG_0027.jpg
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 01:24:14 PM by zxrider11 »
2006 Hayabusa
2003 Yamaha WR450f

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
Re: Front fork advice
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »
If you do track days and mostly cornering I would have went with a bit heavier spring. I am 220 and do mostly street/back roads and I used the 1 kilo, if I did track days I would have gone to the 1.05

The seals should be fine, mine where at 8k miles and alot of bottoming out before springs.

Questions how is your suspention set up now? I mean as far as ride height is it stock? If you lower the front 3/8 it will help alot but you might find the springs are a little underpowered. Stock height they should be ok.

I would also look into useing 15 weight oil vs stock, it did so much for my bike it is amazing. I still have stock valves but the oil change just kicked ass.

The more aggresive you make the bikes stance, and the harder you ride the stonger springs you need, to a point of course.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline LE05BUSA

• Rider
  • If you say so...
    • LABusas.oRg
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:35:37 PM »
Quijinn is right. 1kg/mm or more for 200+ lbs if you plan on riding it very hard...1.05kg/mm is probably the best choice for you. You need to either crank the crap out of the preload on the rear shock or go to a stiffer spring on that as well. Companies like Works Performance, Traxxion Dynamics, or Race Tech can revalve and respring the rear for you. The last thing I would suggest is raising the rear an inch or so, such that it puts a little more weight on the front. Handling will be HUGELY improved. I used PMRC's PM-17 raising links for the rear...+1" over stock. $26.95 and worth every penny! http://www.pmrcomponents.com/pmrweb_008.html

Offline LE05BUSA

• Rider
  • If you say so...
    • LABusas.oRg
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:40 PM »
P.S. - losing the heavy stock exhaust and PAIR equipment will make a huge handling difference as well. Losing those BT56's will be big too... :wink:

Offline the shredder#3

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
I've had race tech in the last 4 busa's I've had.
bloody chalk & cheese between them & stock
Ant type of up grade is better than stock if you a BIGGER GUY.
wont ride a stock suspenion busa again.
give's a lot of feed back & confidence.

shane
HOME OF AUSTRALIAS FIRST GHETTO KIT.

Offline zxrider11

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 01:48:51 PM »
P.S. - losing the heavy stock exhaust and PAIR equipment will make a huge handling difference as well. Losing those BT56's will be big too... :wink:

Yeah, pulled the junk Oe BR56's @ 1,500 miles.  I have PP 2CT's mounted up and like them
2006 Hayabusa
2003 Yamaha WR450f

Offline Bus Rydr

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 08:22:28 PM »
These replies are dead on for your weight.  I had the RaceTech set up done some time ago.  Got the 1kg springs and gold valves.  I'll tell you, the first thing you notice is no more nose dives when you brake hard.  If I didn't know any better, I would have though the new set up added more HP  :D You will get much faster in the corners with a front end that does what you tell it to do. Just one less thing to focus on when you're picking that line.

Offline Soprano

• Rider
  • Once you're in this family, there's no getting out
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 02:09:11 PM »
Ok.  I've done the common upgrades to the bike for HP and braking.  Exhaust, PCIII, K&N, Airbox mod, TRE, HH pads, SS lines.  Now everyone seems to think I should be looking into suspension next.  As I stand 6'2" and 285;bs without gear I have to say I agree.  Can anyone recomend a good place to send my stuff to get done?  I know I can adjust the stock setup, but I have been getting the idea that this will just not do for me.  Knowing that I am allergic to tools, where should I go for this stuff?

Offline LE05BUSA

• Rider
  • If you say so...
    • LABusas.oRg
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »
Where do you live? 1.2kg/mm Race Tech fork springs, Gold Valves, and a revalved & resprung stock rear shock will do you right. Your local dealer or repair shop that you trust can easily do the install if you don't feel up to it. I had Works Performance do the revalve/respring on my shock and I am very pleased with it. 800-850lb/in rear spring is about right for your weight.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 10:12:36 PM »
If you dont track race or drag knees hard then you can go with 15 weight oil, 1.2 kg springs and new seals. Massive difference. All out then got for new seals and heavier then you might think needed springs, speacially if you raise the back of the bike.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline LE05BUSA

• Rider
  • If you say so...
    • LABusas.oRg
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 05:58:11 AM »
If you dont track race or drag knees hard then you can go with 15 weight oil, 1.2 kg springs and new seals. Massive difference. All out then got for new seals and heavier then you might think needed springs, speacially if you raise the back of the bike.

I'm 6'5" and 340lbs...1.2kg/mm front spring w/+1" links in the rear is NICE!