Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Metzeler Sportec M1 tyres  (Read 5872 times)

Offline bluesilver

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Metzeler Sportec M1 tyres
« on: February 27, 2007, 11:01:26 PM »
G'Day, Not sure if this is inthe right area but will try anyway.

I have just fitter a set of Metzeler Sportec M1 tyres front and rear.

The front trye seams to be howling ( the same type of noise that the 4WD tyres make on the highway).
I think that it is coming from the front tyre as it wasn't making this noise with the orginal tyres on it.

It only howles when you get up to about 50kph and is at its worst at 60-70kph, then after that it seams to go away.

Has anyone else had this problem with these tyres before or know how to sole this problem?

Offline bluesilver

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: Metzeler Sportec M1 tyres
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:38:48 PM »
Everything is installed correctly.  The tyre is on the correct according to the trye rotation arrow.

This might sound strange,  but the tread pattern looking from the front of the bike is an upside down u. 
Is this correct?   I thought the tread might of been the other way around ( looking at the front you would see a u shape tread.
But I am not really up to speed with tread patterns.

Any ideas appreciated.

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 02:13:17 PM »
There have been a lot of questions about tires "Humming" on the Busa's front over the years. I have heard it on mine, off and on, with the stock tires, Michelin Pilot Road when they first came out and the M1's which I have used about three sets of. I have the new M3's on it now and no hum. I think it is a characteristic of the bike to have the tire humm  under certain conditions, since it does not do it on all bikes, and off and on with others like mine. I have cut off the motor and coasted in neutral down hills, turning the wheel, using the brake and varying the speed and when it is in the humm mode it does it under all conditions, more when the wheel is turned. For my bike, I think it is the wear pattern of lack of same that influences it. I've checked the bearings, fork tension on the legs being equal, alignment and all that I could think of and nothing makes any difference. No humm on the m3's yet, got 1000 on them now.

Offline bluesilver

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 01:50:58 AM »
Oh, Ok I think this could be my problem.  :lol:  Lookiing at the front of my bike the tread pattern looks like this ^ (upside down V).

I guess this is why it is making a humming noise.

It is at its worst at about 70kph even when costing with the clutch in at 70kph you can still hear it.

the bike is an 04 model with only 20,000km on it so I guess the bearing shold be ok.

I will put the wheel on the other way and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.   :D

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »
Everything is installed correctly.  The tyre is on the correct according to the trye rotation arrow.

This might sound strange,  but the tread pattern looking from the front of the bike is an upside down u. 
Is this correct?   I thought the tread might of been the other way around ( looking at the front you would see a u shape tread.
But I am not really up to speed with tread patterns.

Any ideas appreciated.

Based on what you said here, you have it on right. If you are on your hands and knees, looking at the tire from right in front of the bike, the point of the directional rotation arrow should hit the ground first as the bike rolls forward. The U or V of the tread pattern should have the open or wide end of the U or V hit the ground first as the bike rolls forward. This seems contrary to what you would expect, but it is that way on all the tires I have used.

Offline bluesilver

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 12:04:24 AM »
Thanks for all your help.  Appreciated.

The tyre was on the wrong way around with the tread pattern.

The strange thing is the arrow is acually incorrect.

The tread pattern is now correct and there is no more tyre noise.   It is just the rotation direcition of the arrow is now wrong.

i am not worrying about this as everthing is going fine and is not showing any sign of acesss wear.

Thanks again.

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 07:29:27 AM »
 you can run them either   way .Its done at the track alot (controlled conditions,dry track ,ect) .  The right way sipes more water out from under it in the rain. Doesnt seem possible they could have screwed up on the arrow . Be careful in the rain
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich