Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Tendency to stand-up while leaned over?  (Read 5238 times)

Offline pr111

• Rider
Tendency to stand-up while leaned over?
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:39:54 PM »
I just noticed this recently but I'm not sure if it's been there all along.  Just cruising along, mild sweeper, I'm finding that I have to keep pressure on the inside bar otherwise she stands right up.  When I'm riding hard, I'm hanging off and weighting the inside peg so it never seemed apparent.  I have about 4k on the front tire (Pilot Power) and just recently mounted a new set of PPs on the rear.  Could this cobmo be causing it?  Anyone else notice the same thing?  By the way, I have the rear raised 1 inch.

Thanks for any insight,
    PR

Offline luvfastbkes

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: Tendency to stand-up while leaned over?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 08:41:42 PM »
PR--I would say the culprit, all else remaining unchanged, is your 4k mile front tire.  I used to have a ZX11 that cupped the front tire in 2k miles religiously and that caused the exact symptoms you're mentioning.  And having the rear ride height raised probably exacerbates the feeling, but I wouldn't change that! 

I haven't noticed my busa cupping fronts nearly as badly as the 11, but with a heavy bike and strong front brakes that are used like they should be, it happens!

Offline ATC'er

• Rider
  • Windsor, CT
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 06:17:08 AM »
On my previous bike (Bandit 1200S) I noticed the same exact thing.  Seemed to be most pronounced in mild sweepers, but not noticeable at extreme lean angles.  Brought the bike to the dealer for some unrelated service and they told me I needed to replace the front tire.  They said it showed signs of "feathering".  I was skeptical, but did it anyway because the tire had 12,000 miles on it and I wanted an excuse to upgrade to some Pirelli's.  Long story short, the bike was completely neutral when leaned over with the new tire.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:10:34 PM by ATC'er »
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." (Albert Einstein)

Offline pr111

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 04:53:42 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I'll live with the quirk till it's time to replace the rear and then replace both tires at the same time.  I'm going to try the Qualifiers next.

-PR

Offline speedwhore

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 04:33:23 AM »
Ya the front tire is the problem.

Offline Racer86

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 06:49:55 PM »
I had a yamaha 650 with a twist in the steering head that moved the front wheel off of the center lines of the frame On left hand corners it would "stand up" like you describe. On right cornerss it would DROP into the corner. Made for evil handling.