Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2nd fuel pump fuel question???  (Read 2918 times)

Offline ohiostatebusa

• Rider
  • 9.32 @ 159mph
2nd fuel pump fuel question???
« on: April 12, 2007, 05:43:46 PM »
i have a 05 busa with a wet system i am trying to add a 2nd fuel line for my fuel (gas) solenoid i have heard of people just Y-ing the main fuel off of the fuel pump but i want to add a second fuel line so i ordered a tank bung from schnitz racing but there is no where on the bottom of the tank that is flat to mount it can anyone help me with what to do??? thank you
05 Busa
80hp wet nos system
Dyna arc-2, PC III, muzzy sidewinder
schnitz progressive unit, large box mod

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: 2nd fuel pump fuel question???
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 06:05:03 PM »
I'm also finishing up with a wet system install right now. There are only a few things left to do, and creating a fuel source is one of them. I may grind off the post that has the ground wire on the fuel pump plate, then drill a small hole there and either use a fitting with a washer, or because there's not much room take it to a radiator shop or something like that and have them weld or braze in a fitting. You have to remove the fuel pump from the tank to do this, I already removed it once to look things over  :lol: The ground wire would just be moved to one of the 5 bolts on the fuel pump plate.

I'm curious what you end up doing, keep us informed (I'll do the same)

Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 06:07:33 PM »
There's also a fairly flat area where you may be able to mount that fitting from Schnitz, it's just behind the fuel plate I was talking about in the above post. You'd need a very small hand to get in the tank to hold a wrench, but it could probably be done that way.
Thomas

Offline ohiostatebusa

• Rider
  • 9.32 @ 159mph
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »
i don't know if that is a good idea because of the heat from welding right next to those electrical contacts so i flattened a spot next to the fuel pump plate and used the bong i got from schnitz racing let me know what you do????????
05 Busa
80hp wet nos system

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 06:04:14 AM »
no problem, I'll let you know what I end up doing. I also have an option of using a cylindrical metal fuel tank from a minibike that I have laying around. It hold about a quart or less, so it definitely wouldn't be my first choice. I think I'll end up taking everything to a radiator shop or something and see what they say. It may not be for awhile though, I mis-calculated some mounting measurements and have to re-do a LOT of things.  :x
Thomas

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 09:41:07 PM »
Right side of the tank

Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline ohiostatebusa

• Rider
  • 9.32 @ 159mph
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 02:55:59 PM »
thanks for the pic that is what i was planning good to know it worked for you
05 Busa
80hp wet nos system

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »
I ended up getting the Pingel bung from Schnitz, I believe you drill a 9/16" hold then bolt it in. It has an o-ring on the inside to prevent leakage. Nice piece, but it wasn't cheap at $40

The inside is threaded with 1/8" NPT, so I can use either a brass nipple, -4AN or -6AN fitting.
Thomas