Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Difference between different year busa's  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Denver_whitest185

• New User!
Difference between different year busa's
« on: August 30, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »
so, i know that busa's really haven't changed much since they were produced in the first generation busa's

my question is were there any smaller changes between years that would make them better for modifications? or just a general advantage over other years.
I've heard that the first 2 years were slightly different than the later bikes.

Offline badassblackbusa

• Post Master
Re: Difference between different year busa's
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 07:40:41 PM »
03 and up are the best because they fixed all the major problems and made some improvements. like cam chain tensioner, clutch is better, no more starter kickback. 01 is the bastard child stay away from it 99-2000 are all the same electronics and parts. 02 and up are all the same electronically only thing that changed there is the 03s had the starter fix. 05 and up had the passing lamp button which is nice for nitrous activation.
and to saint peter i will tell another solider reporting sir ive served my time in hell..

• New User!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »
so, pretty much stay away from 01's and if i can find a 03+ in my price range, do it.

Thanks dude.

anymore info?

• New User!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 04:31:01 PM »
oh, and are there any little quick fixes that help with reliability or little problems that tend to be common for busa's?

for example, i keep seeing aftermarket alloy oil pans....

Offline badassblackbusa

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 06:19:23 PM »
only thing the aftermarket oil pans help with are lowering the bike  but then you have to run a sidewinder exhaust. the most common problem on the busas is 2nd gear going out you can get the transmission backcut to fix that. other than that they are pretty solid. change the oil every couple of thousand miles more if you drag race.
and to saint peter i will tell another solider reporting sir ive served my time in hell..

Offline Jebakaturbogsxrpilot

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »
 :thumb:

99-00: unrestricted. 99 copper is the collector favosrite. cam chain adjuster recall. easy fix.
99-00: aluminum subframe recall. buncha bullshit. tons of people buying and using them to race with.
01-07: requires the TRE mod to bypass OEM ECU tuning for uber speed.
02-07: steel subframe.
02: ECU upgrade to higher bit rate.
03: starter upgraded. low voltage in battery can result in kickback resulting in fractured cases. rare, but happens. there is a fix for 99-02 from schnitz et al.
03- 07: ti nitrate fork coatings. ubber bling but otherwised unnoticeable performance upgrade in a 500+lb bike.
08: new bag of tricks.
So I'm having this dream! I'm on my Turbo Busa and these guys are after me in a car, but they can't catch me, So they get a bike, but they can't catch me. So they get a plane, and just as their about to catch me, the TURBO KICKS IN!

Offline maxsgp

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
The 99-00 also had external fuel pump the rest are internal. O4's are the best. Especially black and purple....... :lol:
Vel Stage 2 8.99 161  6lb 57yrs

Offline busamagic

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 07:42:56 PM »
The 99-00 also had external fuel pump the rest are internal. O4's are the best. Especially black and purple....... :lol:

:bah:  03 copper is the best :thumb:
Cruising on a Harley

Offline busa4speed

• Restricted
  • Post Whore
  • Cincinnati, Zone 15
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 10:08:13 PM »
Stay away fro the 04 busa I cop from Norwood has one and you know that can't be a good sign. Get anything but that and never I mean never get one that's purple and black. Oh yes I forgot to say Hi Crow :cop: :rfl: :rfl: