Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: chevy V8 valve adjustment...  (Read 38857 times)

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
chevy V8 valve adjustment...
« on: January 26, 2004, 04:34:00 PM »
anybody know the specs for the rockers on a big block?

is it like 1/2 turn after you cant move the rocker anymore?
Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6 
The GTO's like a fine woman in a black dress at a fancy party. The WS6 is like the hot chick in the hiked up miniskirt at the nightclub. So what do you want? Refined, or nasty?

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 05:07:00 PM »
If you are talking about hydraulic lifters, back it off until it clicks, tighten until noise stops and then 1/4 turn (90 degrees) tighter.

Some people say 1/2 turn (180 degrees) but either will work.  The less pre load the less the tendency to pump up.

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 05:17:00 PM »
If solid or roller need's to be set with A  feeler gauge. if you do set it like a hydraulic and it's not, you will wipe the lobes off the cam.
No computer operating busa freak!

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »
Very true, and quickly also.

Offline SUTPHEN77

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 05:44:00 PM »
I usually go 1/4 to 1/2 a turn after chatter stops. 1/2 turn tightens up your motor a little

Offline Fred Martin

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 06:00:00 PM »
Are you adjusting them hot (engine running) or cold (not running)?

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »
i was planning on warming up the motor then doing it with engine off, thought about doing it engine running, but i dont wanna stick my fingers in the wrong spot at the wrong time or get burned by oil... never done it with the motor running before, well actually i've never done it at all with this motor.

here's my 2 tons of fun:

The GTO's like a fine woman in a black dress at a fancy party. The WS6 is like the hot chick in the hiked up miniskirt at the nightclub. So what do you want? Refined, or nasty?

Offline WayneE

• Mad Post Whore
  • Habitual linestepper
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BUSA2002:
I usually go 1/4 to 1/2 a turn after chatter stops. 1/2 turn tightens up your motor a little

Depends on the lifter type, Busa2002.  I was running a Comp 'R' hydraulic roller lifter on my '96 Firebird and they recommended like 1/16-1/8 past zero lash.  I ran 1/8 turn and spun the motor to 6700-6800 rpm.

The stock hyd roller lifters liked 3/8-3/4 turn past zero.

Squirts is it a solid or hydraulic setup?

Offline 396

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »
First get rid of the pro flow air filter. One good backfire and the black filter material will make a mess of your carb. If it is a solid cam it will be fine to adjust when the motor is off, as long as you know how to do it. If it is hydrolic the best way is with the motor running but the poly locks will make it take longer, thus you will have a bit of a oily mess.

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »
Squirts1 pull one of the rocker arm's off get something hard to put against the tip of the push rod try to push in the lifter if it's hyd. you will be able to colapse it a little. If it feel's rock solid its probably not a hyd. cam in the motor. the best way to tell is to pull the intake and look at the lifters, hyd. lifters have little holes in them for the oil to pass through, they also have a retainer clip where the push rod cup is.(they can be takin apart) solid lifters have no holes and cannot be takin apart! WARNING!! do not set these like there hyd. if there not!! if it's solid or roller a good place to start would be .26 on the intake and .28 on the exhaust. I hope this help's it's been awhile since I messed with any car stuff.  

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »
If it has solids, you will be able to detect some slack between the rocker and the end of the valve stem when cold (hot also, but not as much).  Try to jiggle the rocker arms up and down when the other rocker (on the same cylinder) is down ( depressing valve stem).  Usually when a solid lifter goes out of adjustment it will get looser.

If you don't detect any slack between the rockers and the valve tips (as described above) it will probably have juice lifters.

Offline SUTPHEN77

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2004, 06:44:00 AM »
I agree wayne, it all in your taste, squirts just a little something to stop the oil from splattering all over, especially if you have a high volume oil pump, take an old set of valve covers if you have any and cut the center out fo them so you can see the rockers. Also if you are afraid of getting your fingers in the way it is hard to tell by your pic but the nuts are usually 5/8 end it looks like allen head lock screws(if i remember correctly its been a while)use a 5/8 spark plug socket with a wrench instead of a ratchet, and an allen wrench.

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »
that's a good question... i think they are hydraulic lifters...

i hooked up a remote starter and turned it over a couple times... then watched any of the springs that were depressed and the rockers slowly came back to a neutral position... would solid lifters do that?

unless it was just the cam turning under the spring pressure... i dunno... well that doesnt make sense either because it looks like all the vlaves are fully closed... so im guessing its hydraulic          

Offline SUTPHEN77

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2004, 05:33:00 PM »
if i am understanding your question correctly, solid lifters would definetly do that as well as a hydralic lifter (as long as they are pumped up). you may be able to compress a hydralic lifter by putting pressure on the rocker arm (push rod side). you definetly shouldnt be able to compress a solid lifter

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 05:34:00 PM »
well pushing on the pushrod didnt seem to move anything whatsoever

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2004, 06:26:00 PM »
did you read my second reply?

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »
yep, i did and that made me think it's a solid lifter... that and another reply about slack on the pushrods... most all of the rockers i can wiggle side to side with my hand so there's some slack... also made me think it's got solid lifters.

so i have to use that remote starter to bump it over until #1 cylinder exh or int is fully depressed then adjust #6 exh or int right? if it's solid adjust to about .025? i cant imagine going any looser than that without it chattering like crazy...

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2004, 06:35:00 PM »
is taking the intake off to much trouble for you?

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »
i thought about doing that... i guess i could, it would be a pain in the butt though, guess i could just mark the distributor, and have to drain the coolant again...    just replaced all the hoses couple weeks ago...

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 06:39:00 PM »
squirts if you post or pm me your ph. number I will call you and talk you through this!

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2004, 06:42:00 PM »
I didn't know Busas had V-8s in them.      

Dude, post this kind of stuff in the off topic forum known as "Whatsever on Your Mind". Helps keep all the OT crap out of the bike stuff.  
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »
 i dont see anywhere in the definition of general discussion "bikes only"

if it does then why dont you go flame on everyone who posts a video of some guy crashing his car... or of a christmas card... or about his baby being born... or about his new house... etc...............................

Offline lanta

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2004, 06:57:00 PM »
I agree.

If its a solid cam you need to know what lash the cam calls for. Pull the timing cover and see if their are numbers on the end of the stick.

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
Squirts You need to get the #1 piston up on compression stroke,you can do this two way's 1 ratchet on balancer or have a friend tap the starter while you stick a finger over #1 spark plug hole. When you feel compression make them stop taping. Take your ratchet and bring piston up to t.d.c. (line on balancer to 0 on timing tab) then pull distributor cap stright up rotor should be pointing to #1 spark plug wire. Oh #1 on a B.B.Chevy is the front clyn. on driver's side, If rotor point's to #1 spark plug wire you can start takeing her apart! Step's to take, drain coolent, pull top rad hose off, unhook throttle linkage and fuel lines, temp wire, pull distributor&wire's out the way, intake bolts and your there! post your progress and i'll take you through the next step!

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »
Yes Lanta's idea is a good one also, At least that way you know exactly what cam you have. Then you could call the manufacturer and find out the spec's and setting's