Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: chevy V8 valve adjustment...  (Read 38831 times)

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
chevy V8 valve adjustment...
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »
i'll have to start over next week. going out of town for the weekend... i appreciate the help guys.      
Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6 
The GTO's like a fine woman in a black dress at a fancy party. The WS6 is like the hot chick in the hiked up miniskirt at the nightclub. So what do you want? Refined, or nasty?

Offline BUSA-KY

• Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by BUSA2002:
I usually go 1/4 to 1/2 a turn after chatter stops. 1/2 turn tightens up your motor a little

thats it  ..nuff said !!!  
"LEARN HOW !!!.............even if you don't do it , its good to know how its done"

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »
Busa-ky yes that's if we were talkin about hyd. lifters but I dont think we are!! or are you tellin me that you set all "your" valve's that way!!!  
No computer operating busa freak!

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2004, 12:20:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by squirts1:
         i dont see anywhere in the definition of general discussion "bikes only"

if it does then why dont you go flame on everyone who posts a video of some guy crashing his car... or of a christmas card... or about his baby being born... or about his new house... etc...............................

I usually do drop a hint to the other squirrels who feel like General Discussion is for every topic.  You seem to have enough posts to have been around here long enough to know what’s going on … no?        

MH needs to get his head out of his ass and rename a few forums around here.  General Discussion is for general BIKE discussion and should be named so.

Can you imagine what a cluster fuck this board would be if there was only one forum for every topic under the sun?        

Do whatever ya want to do, but if everyone is too damn lazy or stupid to chose the right forum then this place will just be one huge cluster fuck board.    
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

Offline SUTPHEN77

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2004, 06:24:00 AM »
thats right 11k but, at least it is about a motor, a big block in fact    which is what most of us are about is more power     I have read allot worse in GD but you are right it is getting a little busy in the GD forum. It is still all good  

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »
pulled a lifter....

The GTO's like a fine woman in a black dress at a fancy party. The WS6 is like the hot chick in the hiked up miniskirt at the nightclub. So what do you want? Refined, or nasty?

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2004, 04:08:00 PM »
hydraulic?

i'm seeing a clip inside the top... and holes in a circle around the top inside

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »
Yeah, juice.  But, just to be sure, put on solid surface and push down on center - where push rod seats - with the push rod and you should be able to depress the center some.  

Also, try to put back together with same lifter/lifters on same cam lobe they came from.  Same with pushrods.

After reassembly, fire it up, let it warm up.  Back off one rocker at a time until you can hear it click - tighten until clicking stops - go 1/4 turn (90 degrees) more and thats it for that valve.  Now do the other 15.

Offline turbobusa65

• Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2004, 04:16:00 PM »
Squirts yes that's a hydraulic lifter!
No computer operating busa freak!

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2004, 04:25:00 PM »
it'd be real easy to adjust them engine off right now since i have it all apart... except the motor would be cold...

i dont have a spare set of valve covers either

and when im setting them...
loosen the allen bolt in the center,
then adjust the outer nut until zero lash,
then turn the outer nut down another 1/4 tighter
then tighten down the allen bolt on top of that?

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
why do you think almost all of the valves would be that loose if they were hydraulics? since hydraulics should be under zero lash... just that far out of adjustment or set that way intentionally?

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2004, 04:42:00 PM »
Cam could be going flat - look at bottom of lifters - should be flat, not cupped.

Some people think you can wind one a little tighter if you set up with no preload. (just remove click)  Won't wind any tighter and can, over time, start to click.

Seller could let them click and say it had a solid lifter cam (not likely, but possible)

Yes, you have the adjustment sequence down pat.

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by squirts1:
why do you think almost all of the valves would be that loose if they were hydraulics? since hydraulics should be under zero lash... just that far out of adjustment or set that way intentionally?

I haven't read all this thread, but I’m assuming you have a service manual that describes how to adjust they hydraulic lifters?

Once the zero lash point is achieved, the rocker arm is then turned another X turns to basically put the adjustment into the center of the lifter's inner piston movement range.

Looks like the X value you're using is 1/4 turn in from zero lash ... but are you sure that's correct.  I helped a friend adjust hydraulic lifter once, and it seemed a lot more than 1/4 in from zero lash was required.
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

Offline Fred Martin

• Rider
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »
Start it with #1 cyl. on compression stroke adjust it like this and they all get 1/4 turn and you don't need the engine running.

Start with the intake side------
With #s 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 INTAKE/EXHAUST fully open adjust #6,5,7,2,1,8,4,3 INTAKE/EXHAUST  Do it in that order.  Say if number 1 is open adjust 6 if 8 is open adjust 5 and so on.  

If your doing the intake just do intake and exhaust do exhaust.

Spin the pushrod with your fingers untill you just fill a little resistance from the rocker arm  pushing on the push rod. NOT TILL YOU CANT TURN IT ANYMORE.

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »
spin the pushrod till i feel resistance, then 1/4 turn more, that waht you are sayin?

at that point i can just rotate the pushrod with my finger

Offline Fred Martin

• Rider
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »
YES

Offline SUTPHEN77

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »
fmart is correct, but i just feel better hearing the tapping. if you dont tighten the allen screws while adjusting, make sure you hold the nut while tightening them. as i said before if i remember correctly the nut is 5/8" use a spark plug soccet and a wrench on it and you can get a good grip on it while you tighten the allen screw.

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2004, 05:27:00 PM »
ok, i just did that on one intake valve... felt tight at first, but i guess like you said above it has some squish room.... it felt stiff at first but after it set a few seconds i could turn the poshrod again without much effort... so that's the way i should do the rest?

Offline Fred Martin

• Rider
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »
yes make sure that you started with 1 on compression

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
i started with the balancer mark at zero

Offline lanta

• Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »
I think doing it with the engine off is a good starting point but not knowing the condition of the lobes or lifters I'd suggest throwing a little oil around(covers off) and resetting them engine running.

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »
the cams are pushing the lifters up almost .375 each

i got another question... a few of the lifters squish really easily and others are VERY stiff... is thatj ust because some have no oil in them right now and others are full?

Offline Fred Martin

• Rider
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »
Yes

Do you have the intake off?

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2004, 06:22:00 PM »
yep

Offline Fred Martin

• Rider
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2004, 06:43:00 PM »
Go ahead and adjust them like i told you to and you will be set.  Thats way I told you to tightent them until you fill slight restance.  This allows you to set the same preload on each lifter.  If that doesn't help after you start it up I have another way but they way I told you is the simpliest.

You did take and pull #1 plug to make sure it was on the compression stroke right? after you put the timing mark on zero.  Because you can have it on the exhaust stroke also.