Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Metal shavings in coolant  (Read 2616 times)

Offline druwbiz

• Rider
Metal shavings in coolant
« on: March 29, 2009, 01:11:03 PM »
I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem? I did the search and came up empty. The only thing I can think of  is the water pump bearing might be going out. Also just for a reference it's a 2005 hayabusa with 6000 miles on it.

Offline ATC'er

• Rider
  • Windsor, CT
Re: Metal shavings in coolant
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »
Are you sure it's metal shavings?  I've read posts on here of people finding residue in their coolant which is supposedly from the sand casting of the engine block at the factory.
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." (Albert Einstein)

Offline crazybill

• Mad Post Whore
    • www.PortTechHeads.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »
debris in the cooling passages from machining . they probably just didnt get it 100% cleaned out .
“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a builder who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

Offline druwbiz

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »
I know what the sandy buildup looks like in the reservoir, I don't know if these are in fact cast/machining break offs from when this motor was built. I will filter the coolant and take a picture of the shavings, if i am worried this much about it i guess I should pull the water pump...

Offline druwbiz

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 05:52:03 PM »
Just a follow up with the situation. I pulled the water pump and took it apart, nothing found nothing, so it must be castings. Thanks for the replys that I got.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:54:03 PM by druwbiz »