Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: hi tech guys: electronics whiz has hacked into ZX12 ECU!!!  (Read 79848 times)

Offline busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
Re: hi tech guys: electronics whiz has hacked into ZX12 ECU!!!
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2008, 07:09:47 PM »
That is partially very good news - tells the cause of the problem. It is either a baud rate or a signal level problem. The chip in your interface is FDTI so it should support the 7812 baud rate straight out of the box - so I suspect the later. Signal level problem is most likely caused the fact that both the interface you have and the ECU try both to push +5V to the line. I saw this happening when I used an external processor card to send data to the gaugecluster. Basically the TX pin from the USB TTL interface should only ground the signal, not push +5V back to the ECU.

If you can spare for a few more additional days after I have received the USB TTL interfaces I can dig deeper into this. Currently I have only RS232 level interfaces with additional MAX232 TTL converters at hand which use the +5V from ECU. Those work just perfectly which of course does not help you ...
do you have a link to the interface you're using..

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2008, 01:27:24 PM »
Got the first samples. Connected two wires to to the engine data green/black wire and one wire to ground. Connected the USB connector to my PC and started the program. Fired up the power on ECU and got immediate "Datastream active...". No voltage level problems. The interface I got are very alike to what you have - not exactly the same, but very close.

The correct process for starting the program is:
1) Turn on laptop
2) Connect interface to the laptop
3) Start Engine data monitor program
4) Press "Connect ecu for engine data"
5) Press "Data on"
    you should see "Synchronizing..."
6) Turn power on in the bike
    you should see "Datastream active..." and bike gauge should say "CHECK"

If at any moment you see "Synchronizing..." on the program window you need to turn the power off on the bike either from the key or with the kill switch and then back on.

I will give couple of these interfaces to my local friends over here to test if there is something which I have done on my laptop which I dont recognize. Then will send a couple of interfaces to DaveO for testing too. If I get positive reports that everything works then I will put effort into finalizing the software for everyone to use. There is over 70 different variables that we can choose to display including TPS, Intake Air Pressure, Intake temperature, Ignition advance, fuel injector pulse, coolant temperature ... something I only few months back dreamed of being able to track for tuning purposes. Btw the software is written with Visual Basic 2005 so it should also work on Pocket PC too if someone thinks that carrying a laptop is a bit inconvenient ...

About the earlier interface, you asked what am I using, well the desk looks like this right now - but, the coming interfaces are just straight USB cable looking things. Very simple to connect and use... 

This is very close what the coming interfaces will look like. Obviously there are wires to connect, but only two wires to be tapped on ecu harness.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 01:29:52 PM by PetriK »

Offline busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2008, 11:29:57 PM »
Got the first samples. Connected two wires to to the engine data green/black wire and one wire to ground. Connected the USB connector to my PC and started the program. Fired up the power on ECU and got immediate "Datastream active...". No voltage level problems. The interface I got are very alike to what you have - not exactly the same, but very close.

The correct process for starting the program is:
1) Turn on laptop
2) Connect interface to the laptop
3) Start Engine data monitor program
4) Press "Connect ecu for engine data"
5) Press "Data on"
    you should see "Synchronizing..."
6) Turn power on in the bike
    you should see "Datastream active..." and bike gauge should say "CHECK"

If at any moment you see "Synchronizing..." on the program window you need to turn the power off on the bike either from the key or with the kill switch and then back on.

I will give couple of these interfaces to my local friends over here to test if there is something which I have done on my laptop which I dont recognize. Then will send a couple of interfaces to DaveO for testing too. If I get positive reports that everything works then I will put effort into finalizing the software for everyone to use. There is over 70 different variables that we can choose to display including TPS, Intake Air Pressure, Intake temperature, Ignition advance, fuel injector pulse, coolant temperature ... something I only few months back dreamed of being able to track for tuning purposes. Btw the software is written with Visual Basic 2005 so it should also work on Pocket PC too if someone thinks that carrying a laptop is a bit inconvenient ...

About the earlier interface, you asked what am I using, well the desk looks like this right now - but, the coming interfaces are just straight USB cable looking things. Very simple to connect and use... 

This is very close what the coming interfaces will look like. Obviously there are wires to connect, but only two wires to be tapped on ecu harness.

OK! petrik for hell of it i installed my 01 ecu back on the bike and it went from synchronizing to active, but i could not start the bike since i got the 32 bit magneto installed....at lease now i know that the 16 bit 01 will log not sure if the 99-00 has the datastream wire...now my question, is there any difference in the 01 wiring harness compared to the 02 and up...I'm asking because I'm using an 01 harness with and 06 ecu and 32 bit magneto... :( :?

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2008, 01:40:39 AM »
That is partially again good news again -  sounds like there is something wrong with your K6 ecu or with the installation of your K6 ecu. The datastream should work well even if only the power,gnd and anthitheft are connected.

There is some differences in 99 ecu harness connectors and K6 ecu harness connector. I do not know the differences in wiring harness as none of the manuals lists the pins to which the wires are connected. One thing I do remember, the pin 14 is in earlier ecus +12V and in 32bit ecus +5V relatead. But I am unsure if that pin is connected in the harness.

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2008, 06:39:18 AM »
I have swapped 01 and 02 ecu's and rotors on my 2 bikes several times without changing looms

Been going to ask .. does the old extended ecu mod change the communication rate  ?
Official Site Donor

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2008, 06:45:09 AM »
Been going to ask .. does the old extended ecu mod change the communication rate  ?

:thumb:

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00:23 PM »
Busa2001,

"OK! petrik for hell of it i installed my 01 ecu back on the bike and it went from synchronizing to active, but i could not start the bike since i got the 32 bit magneto installed....at lease now i know that the 16 bit 01 will log not sure if the 99-00 has the datastream wire...now my question, is there any difference in the 01 wiring harness compared to the 02 and up...I'm asking because I'm using an 01 harness with and 06 ecu and 32 bit magneto...   "

The 01/02 are the same part number. I am using an 01 harness to test/develop all of our reflash "maps" woth no issues....I have not tried the "loggin" feature you are playn with....

Dave
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2008, 06:07:24 PM »
Busa2001,

"OK! petrik for hell of it i installed my 01 ecu back on the bike and it went from synchronizing to active, but i could not start the bike since i got the 32 bit magneto installed....at lease now i know that the 16 bit 01 will log not sure if the 99-00 has the datastream wire...now my question, is there any difference in the 01 wiring harness compared to the 02 and up...I'm asking because I'm using an 01 harness with and 06 ecu and 32 bit magneto...   "

The 01/02 are the same part number. I am using an 01 harness to test/develop all of our reflash "maps" woth no issues....I have not tried the "loggin" feature you are playn with....

Dave
thank Dave  :lol: was waiting for your input....think i might know what the problem is...will check it out later and report back...
B/W Dave i think you were right about the ecu been flash i got a new one yesterday and it fired right up...thanks  :D :thumb:

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »
We tested the interface and software today on another bike. Connected the two wires, downloaded the software from internet, installed the USB drivers. Then started the software and it syncrhonized immediately when we turned the bike on.

For us in Europe with oxygen sensors this is interesting opportunity as we can log the factory values like RPM, TPS, Temperature, Oxy sensor, Ign advance etc. directly on our laptop and play back on the screen. The bike owner was really surprised after seeing how simple the thing is just after connecting 2 wires to the ecu harness.

One fault in the software thoug - this bike revs up to 12.500 and I had scale on sw only up to 12.000. We updated the sw for 14.000 and its ok now.

Offline KSpecII

• Rider
  • Black & Blue is the fastest color
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2008, 01:11:40 AM »
We tested the interface and software today on another bike. Connected the two wires, downloaded the software from internet, installed the USB drivers. Then started the software and it syncrhonized immediately when we turned the bike on.

For us in Europe with oxygen sensors this is interesting opportunity as we can log the factory values like RPM, TPS, Temperature, Oxy sensor, Ign advance etc. directly on our laptop and play back on the screen. The bike owner was really surprised after seeing how simple the thing is just after connecting 2 wires to the ecu harness.

One fault in the software thoug - this bike revs up to 12.500 and I had scale on sw only up to 12.000. We updated the sw for 14.000 and its ok now.

great job!!

so just a quick qn, the tapping of 2 wires only allows for logging of the factory values only right? the flashing of the ECU is another set of connections altogether right?

is the logging function available for the 16bit ECUs?

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2008, 01:33:35 AM »
Yes, flashing is a different story. Requires some soldering skills and a lot of knowledge how the bike works. If you want to get your ecu flashed for a different rpm or map, DaveO can do this for you.

Also getting rid of the FI light is possible with flashing. Basically what you do is that you raise your fuel pressure (e.g. by modifying the oem regulator) and then adjust the internal injector size parameters within ecu for a new fuel pressure. Interestingly though inside ECU there is two injector size parameters. A for 1 cylidener and B for 3 cylinders.

On some 16bit ecus this should work, but needs to be connected differently. All my work really is done for 32bit european models. In usa DaveO is working on the US models and has done a lot of testing with that. There is quite many differences between US and EU models, because in EU we have the oxygen sensor as oem equipment and hence software inside ecu is very different for EU.

Offline RidgeRacer

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2008, 01:23:03 PM »
Did I miss where you indicated which two wire harness pins your using for the logging.

I've scanned thru the thread several times and can't seem to find it.

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
Welcome back RR. Missed your inputs.

Yep - you missed it, the instructions are very clear under the software thread below...

Rgds; PetriK
ps. Have not published the full protocol yet because looks like someone non USA has used the ecuhack info in commercial software without contacting either of us in advance. Makes me really doubtfull if to put any further info on the board right now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:53:12 PM by PetriK »

Offline busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2008, 02:20:03 PM »
Busa2001,

Dave
Dave have you tried the loggin feature yet?

Offline cajunboys

• Rider
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »
Dave, anyone working on extending a ZX-14 ECU ????

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2008, 06:06:25 PM »
Dwight,

No not yet....No time right now...busy season. Lot goin on. Tx mile next weekend...then 2nd Prostar round tuning Brock/Woskas 08 SST turbo, then Maxton, Rockingham, etc etc etc ...then throw in reg 6 day work week....LOL

RRT,

The 14 ECU has no parts avail to uprev when I checked into.....dont know about software hacking....My demand for them is only dozen a year or so.....like the 10....sorry.

Maybe in the future..??

Dave
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline RidgeRacer

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
While I obviously know a lot about this topic I never actually flashed a 32bit busa till the other day for the simple reason I haven't had one to play with. Well someone gave me one so I built a programing box. Now while the concept of simple 232-TTL converter is pretty basic the devil, as they say, is in the details.

In building my example I knew all the info I needed was out there on the net but I found it kind of disorganized so after I finished and tested my example I decided to pull all the needed information together into a single document. 

http://www.bikeland.info/downloads/ecu/busa/232-ecu.pdf

I detailed how to rewire the ECU connector to move the 'Yoshbox' (IDK) connector wires to the programing pins on the large ECU connector. Once that is done you can just plug the programming box right into the harness at the Yosh ( IDK) connector under the seat.

Also I show how to wire a cable that allows you to bench (out of bike) program an ECU.

The poor man's connection is taking the programming cable pigtail version, cutting off the Yosh (IDK) plug and, and splicing it into the wire harness.

I was going to start selling these at my website  http://www.bikeland.info in the near future but now I think I'll wait and try out the USB-232-TTL stuff I have on order first see which one I think works the best. I didn't do a Bill of Materials yet. I will if some one wants to build one themselves. I will also publish a detailed instruction manual once I decide which way to go.

If any of you have any questions on how to build or use your own programming box feel free to contact me. Just remember I'm an electronics guy, not an engine tuner.

Here are some pics.  I decided to go fancy and put a three color LED in mine. Green in normal/safe mode shows ECU has power, RED for programming mode, Blue for serial data that makes the LED flash between RED and PURPLE when the ECU and PC are talking to each other.

Economy Version

PRO Version

Shown here bench programming a -24FK0 ECU. The power supply at the lower left is the Field Programming Power Supply I sell for the 16 bit programming but any 12V 200mA power source would do.

Just add a laptop, some free software off the net and your ready to flash, at the shop, the track, or even out of the back of your pick up at the local Bike Nite hangout.   :wink:

Offline Stocker64

• Post Whore
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2008, 08:02:18 PM »
nice work, i want one!thank you for you,petrik,and dave-o's hard work at making this possible for us racers!I definately want one as soon as you start selling them :thumb:
09 BUSA, PROBLEMCHILD II.... tuned with the factory ecu by ME!! thanks PETRIK, ridgeracer,and SMITHBUSA. ...  "FAMILY FIRST"...

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2008, 10:10:26 AM »
Any word on hacking the 08 Gen-II yet....?
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2008, 10:58:07 AM »
Yep - the processor and some other details is known, but dont know anyone working on it yet.  I am busy building the own bike so not putting much effort in developing new stuff. RR is active on some busa code, but thats older stuff too.

Offline busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2008, 07:42:57 PM »
finally spend a little more time on the logging feature, using Petrik's software and got it working today this would be nice to have when your bike is on the dyno... :D :thumb:

Offline RidgeRacer

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2008, 12:53:10 PM »
nice work, i want one!thank you for you,petrik,and dave-o's hard work at making this possible for us racers!I definately want one as soon as you start selling them :thumb:

I think I saw a USB one for sale on ebay  :wink:

Offline Stocker64

• Post Whore
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »
already been there :thumb:
09 BUSA, PROBLEMCHILD II.... tuned with the factory ecu by ME!! thanks PETRIK, ridgeracer,and SMITHBUSA. ...  "FAMILY FIRST"...

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2008, 07:56:49 AM »
it was mentioned here that the busa has soft and hard limiters. Those soft limiteres wouldn,t start kicking in at 10600 before the hard 10800 would they?I noticed a marked leaning of the airfuel from over 10600.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far