Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 180 rear tire  (Read 27617 times)

Offline fivesaints

• Rider
180 rear tire
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:00:33 AM »
Can I run this on my busa with confidence & reliability?

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
Re: 180 rear tire
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
yes
War is nothing more than Old Men talking while Young men die

Offline fivesaints

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »
Cycle Gear has Dunlop on sale foe 149 for the set...Only its a 180 rear...Guess thats not bad....What about the brand? Any good?

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:58:56 PM »
Dunlops suck. Stick with Michelin Power Race or Pilot Power

Offline Ardec2

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:42:17 AM »
i'm slammin this  cause it's just not soo   don't think a 180 series tire on a busa and busa rim is gonna work better,.. it "might feel different, easy light but contray to a few guys who so other wise is silly. and just defys all proper theory and practical knowledge!

consider,... do you think all the major mfgs are going to extra expense of using a 190 plus bigger rim just to get more sales,.. yet decrease performance?   not!!!!

virtually all mfgs tire mfgs, tuners and racers run 190 series on all litre bikes and above,...  dont think yer smarter then all these guys,.. we are not!

if yer running a 180 and it feels great my thoughts are i or others can put a 190 on retune and make it run even better,.. ill put my money and stop watch where my mouth is!  robert!
robert-  to most a "YANKEE",.  i live in the south and tell em "but i'm from "southern" california!

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 09:45:48 AM »
i'm slammin this  cause it's just not soo   don't think a 180 series tire on a busa and busa rim is gonna work better,.. it "might feel different, easy light but contray to a few guys who so other wise is silly. and just defys all proper theory and practical knowledge!

consider,... do you think all the major mfgs are going to extra expense of using a 190 plus bigger rim just to get more sales,.. yet decrease performance?   not!!!!

virtually all mfgs tire mfgs, tuners and racers run 190 series on all litre bikes and above,...  dont think yer smarter then all these guys,.. we are not!

if yer running a 180 and it feels great my thoughts are i or others can put a 190 on retune and make it run even better,.. ill put my money and stop watch where my mouth is!  robert!

INCORRECT. Michelin does not make a Power Race PR series in a 190 size any more. Only 180
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 06:32:27 PM by Gixx1300R »

Offline RUFAZZ

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 05:59:45 PM »

Try it and you WILL retract your statement.  I have used everything from 180-200 on the rear and I wont use anything but a 180.  As a matter of fact I just got 2 more for the summer.

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 06:22:19 PM »
Michelin did make a 190 Pilot Power race.....but not a pilot power race  PR in a 190.  Actually they dont make it anymore.

Offline Gixx1300R

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 06:35:50 PM »
Michelin did make a 190 Pilot Power race.....but not a pilot power race  PR in a 190.  Actually they dont make it anymore.

Actually they did make the PR in a 190

Offline SLOWBUSA

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 02:23:07 AM »
190/55 is not a 190/50. We keep discussing 190 vs 180, and this is incorrect. We need to always mention profile. How many racers use a 190/50?  :bxng:

Offline Ardec2

• Rider
Re: 180/55 vs 190/50 rear tire
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:42:19 AM »
great point,.  but what about wheel width?

some mention has been made abot the "more side wall" on the 180/55

that sent me to my calculator,..

180/55     180/25.43 =7.08 inch section /width  X .55 = 3.89 inch side wall

190/50      190//25.43 =7.47 inch section/width X .50 = 3.74 inch side wall

ok so the point made by a few here say the 180 has more side wall,... this is true Only on the designed rim width which for a 180  is a 6 inch rim,..  I cant show the graphics,.. but it should be obvious,. that even if these numbers were actual,..(they are not these actual measured numbers vary substantially)

a 180 side wall and section become Much Flatter on a 6 1/2 busa rim!

comparing two tires designed for different rim widths is faulty unless considering all the factors, including air pressure and bike set up.

Sill, I'll admit seems like a few guys love this combo! 

robert
robert-  to most a "YANKEE",.  i live in the south and tell em "but i'm from "southern" california!

Offline chevelle

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 06:57:34 PM »
The rear wheel on the busa is 6.00'' not 6.5''

I just went to a 180/55 today. (07 1k wheels) Turns quicker,and is more compliant at all cruising speeds. I added a tooth to shortren the w/b and keep gearing about the same. The only question that remains is stabilaty at the very top end..... I will find out tommorrow.

Offline chevelle

• Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 10:03:14 AM »
Rock solid to the shiftlite (10,400) on the spray,with 18-44 gear. Bridgestone 002 180/55

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »
I have run the avon to 180 gps and its very stable. I really like the 180/55, if they ever make a street 190/55 I will try that as well.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline Ardec2

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »
I stand corrected the proper numbers should be 5 1/2 and 6 inches  however the point remains the same  a design 180 does not work correctly on a wider width wheel,.. I'm amazed so many people like this I'd love to do some real objective testing!

ie actual objective riders and stop watches to actually see  what is goin on here 

hey I'm a hard sell when it comes to opinions vs facts   I hate it but in my shop i have to divorce proper theory and opinion for the facts as they present themselves but thats part of trying to please a diverse group of customers.

gotta get back to work and finish a busa trans repair and install    yes ignorant opinionated me actually does that for a living!

wanna ruin a great thing ?, make it your livelyhood!

Offline kkesler

• Rider
    • http://www.keslers.net
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 10:21:11 PM »
Another +1 on the 180 rear.  Go up 2 or 3 teeth on the rear sprocket and it get's even better.

The tire does flatten out a bit, but since you can't really use the last bit of tire on a 190 without scrubbing the bodywork it's a not too much of a drawback.  You also get more meat on the ground at the edge of the 180 since it's flattened out.

I have a 190/55 002 to play with now, just as soon as I can get on the track with it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:00:47 PM by kkesler »
WERA 334

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 07:47:31 PM »
just received the  149 dollar  Dunlop combo from Cycle Gear .
Im starting to hord tires that I find for cheap on the internet .
Both my bikkes have 190 stock in back but always wanted to try the 180  because the racers swear by it .
 Lets  see less weight , less dollars  turns better .
  I'll let you know how they work in a few months .
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline fivesaints

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 08:01:02 AM »
Thanks, your input is appreciated....

Offline Ardec2

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 09:31:33 AM »
no offense guys but,.. if the manufacturer, tire designers and all the true pro fast riding people thought the 28 was bext on a busa,.. it would come stock that way,.. for all the rest of you guys, couch engineers, and inexperienced street riders,.. talk all day long,... the facts are the facts,..   190's are the best tire for litre bikes and above. period this discussion is becoming like "what is the best oil too run?' topics,... ie all unsubstantiated "opinions" no facts by tru knowledgeable people

im outah here

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 05:07:12 PM »
no offense guys but,.. if the manufacturer, tire designers and all the true pro fast riding people thought the 28 was bext on a busa,.. it would come stock that way,.. for all the rest of you guys, couch engineers, and inexperienced street riders,.. talk all day long,... the facts are the facts,..   190's are the best tire for litre bikes and above. period this discussion is becoming like "what is the best oil too run?' topics,... ie all unsubstantiated "opinions" no facts by tru knowledgeable people

im outah here

ha!  Ive found its the inexperienced street riders that like big tires on the back. Bigger the better cause they cant corner anyway . 
Edit...

Ardec ,I went back and read some of your post ..I see you ve been working on bikes forevever and for sure know alot more than myself about the  mechanics ..
I DO ride them pretty well though ,I think , no superstar but hold my own .
I' m of the same beleif as you . If the factory put a part  on their top bike ,you can beleive some thought went into it.
 Scepticlly ,I had to try the 180/55 in place of the factory 190 /50 .
First thing I  noticed was, bike is just a hair taller ,so that tells me that even though the 6 in rim  did not flatten out the 180 too much ,and taller bike means more ground clearance to me .  Bike is a 03 1k
 I don't know shit about suspenion but I HAVE  had a pro set it up right for me.
 I'm not going to tell you there is night and day difference in handling .,it sure didnt transform me and the bike into Moto GP canadates.
I does feel good though .. I can ride it fast either way 180 or 190  but there is some  good deals on 180 fr and rear combos  sometimes and I DO  go through a few sets a year ..
   It just looks like  to me and my untrained eye that there would be more rubber on the road when you get it way over because of taller profile  EVEN with 6 in rim .  We all know that most of the literbike riders these days are kids and  pretty much straight liners . Thats the only reason I can think of, as to  why  the factory would put the 190 stock in rear ...You know they do have to sell bikes  and their typical customer might think that it is weakness if his tire is not as big as his freinds .
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 06:20:33 PM by zzr12pete »

Offline DangerMouse

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 05:18:29 PM »
A 180 will flex more in a straight line as you're flattening the profile out - that will create heat - I would not use 180s for high speed stuff. The stock Busa tyre is practically a 200 for a reason, to control the flex of the carcuss to reduce heat build up.
I'm the meatsafe murderer only I never done it.

Offline 04GSXR600

• New User!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 01:04:18 PM »
how bout 190/55 Conti Sport Attacks? :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 01:07:33 PM by 04GSXR600 »

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 08:54:13 PM »
how bout 190/55 Conti Sport Attacks? :D
Pretty solid tire company .I wouldn't be afraid to try them.

Offline Kat_man

• Post Master
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 04:55:19 PM »
Dunlops suck. Stick with Michelin Power Race or Pilot Power

I disagree, 209s are great and with a 190/60 you can get silly lean angles.

Offline Ardec2

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 09:46:49 AM »
if it feels better to you guys go for it,. however,.. the cheapest internet tires are ( as my professional opinion doing many tires a week) just that you get what you pay for!

a cont 180 on a litre bike vs a pilot 190,...  theres no comparison the michlen will be so much better its stupid !

PETE what the hell do you ride?     a ZZR12 is like ten year old technology for a sports touring bike!  the wieght of a busa with the power of a 600 ( an older 01 600) NO offense but ,..   go back and read eyr own post yer advising all these guys based on  flawed experience and obvious illconcieved  bias,...

example- you told someone,... that to ride properly to work more on inside peg weight and outside knee and less about inside bar, ie countersteer

dude   bikes turn at any decent speed for one reason its a proven fact   by countersteer NOT by leaning the bike,.. the is leaned simple to counteract centrifigul motion,... guys go back to high school look at simple math and physics,...  yer high shool teachers know more about this then you do!

instead of wasting time on these newsgroups asking questions of people with no real knowledge or background  read Kieth Codes bike cornering schools, talk to walt Schaffer of Michelin, or ricky from dunlop, read max mcallisters suspension handbooks,

instead of relying on "It just looks like to me and my untrained eye that there would be more rubber on the road when you get it way over because of taller profile EVEN with 6 in rim"   

I rely on actual tape measure and computer aided measures,...  not by my "EYE" 

the factories dont give a squat about what a bunch of bonehead straightliners do,... look at the evolution of the modern sportbike!   Its not being built for straightline,. its being built for the entire world!   

Also from my experience ,.. most riders do not like the best sportbikes because the bikes are too good,.. they lower the bike and put bigger tires then stock (180 to 190, 190's to 200),.. and the bikes "FEEL" better to these guys! I ride these fat tires lowered bikes everyday!   

the best bikes are Bone stock 190 shod litre sportbikes!

also  pete where did you get the notion "180 because the racers swear by it . "

I've been to about 4-5 races this year,. Barbers, talladega, road atlanta, etc   NONE of the WERA CCS or AMA guys run 180's on the litre bikes,... where are you getting yer info?

come on by my speed shop,... i'll set up yer bike with better sag, tires, and suspension tunings,.. we'll go out to some of the twistiest alabama roads,...   with a stop watch,... I'll bet yer bike will be quicker or yer money back,..  if it aint quicker its because you crashed trying to keep up with the my partner's ducati 996 with his girlfriend on the back!

no offense   speed shop robert