Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: HAYABUSA as a First Bike?  (Read 47683 times)

Offline logan1

• Rider
HAYABUSA as a First Bike?
« on: July 16, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am 6'6" tall and weigh about 260lbs. I have tried a few gixxers and ninja; they all don’t really fit me well. I don’t really want to get a Cruiser. I have very little riding experience (about 500miles on friends bikes).

So here is the question:

What do you guys think of me getting a unmoded Hayabusa for a first bike.

Offline RetiredUSAF

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: HAYABUSA as a First Bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 02:27:01 PM »
Just be careful if you get it.  1st time riders sometimes push certain things that push back.  Nothing pushes back harder than a Busa.
Michael Lewis
Glad to be USAF-retired

Offline BlackJackel

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »
Sorry, very bad idea.  Get a bike that fits you well and with good power (like a Honda 919, or Vmax, etc.)   They'll still go fast, but cheaper insurance and no fairing.  Take the MSF courses (at least the beginners course) and then ride for a bit.  Once you have down your new skills and some more riding experience, then upgrade.  Not that you can't just buy a Busa, but why not learn on an easier bike that is cheaper and won't cost a fortune if you drop it.

If you do go straight for the Busa (which you probably will! LOL).  Be very progressive in your learning curve, the bike will bury you if you screw up.
Its a great bike, but a poor choice for a newer rider.  We all look forward to seeing you on one in the future and "shiny side up" to you.

Hope this helps, just my two cents...
2009 Black Busa, +8", lowered, Akro Full exhaust, PC5, custom tune, short geared, etc...    
2008 Custom RCC Turbo Busa (SOLD)
2005 Red/Black  Stock  (SOLD).
2013 BMW X1:  Dinan tuned (DD Cage)

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
    • Ruthless Performance Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:59:09 PM »
My 1st Japanese motorcyle was a Hayabusa.  My cousin's 1st bike EVER, ever riden too, was a 2006 Hayabusa.  He is only 5'4".  Obviously I had to lower his BUSA considerably.  But I thought him to ride on that bike and he is really good now.

I say go for it, just be very careful until you get use too it......
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline TaoBusa

• Post Master
    • Yorihey.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 03:29:01 PM »
First bike here. Took MSF. Seven years and I'm not dead. Though I admit, I have made some stupid, avoidable mistakes letting the power tempt me. Other than that, I wouldn't have done it any differently. Entirely up to you in the end, though.

Offline JHerheim

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:33:53 PM »
As an MSF instructor I say buy a bike that has less power,  Not size, but power.   Larger displacement bikes are not as forgiving when you mistakenly roll the throttle back when you don't want to or don't expect it.

As somebody who didn't learn that way.  I say buy what you want.  It's only as dangerous as you are.  And if you live through it you will most likely turn out to be ok.

Statistics show that MSF students have far less  fatalities on motorcycles that thoes who don't attend a school

Offline Irish1

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 06:22:07 PM »
No dirt bikes no nothing huh,,  oh well not to sound repetitive but it's totally on YOU,  if you repsect it and don't think you've got it mastered then you'll love it :thumb:  If you don't and you get cocky then you get dead :!:  Take whatever classes you can and ride with others that have brains!

It is one helluva machine for sure :)

I vote against WINTER & Flat Beer

Offline LeeFL2

• Rider
  • Flyin
    • Yacht Management - Palm Beach - Florida
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 09:05:31 PM »
Buy it. It is as easy to ride as any bike. Just take it easy until you know how to ride (1 year plus, 15k miles at least), don't try to show off and when faced with having to make a choice like gun it or hit the brakes a bit, chose the brakes until you know how the bike will react in all situations.

You have to start at the bottom of the ladder and work your way up, skip a step and you may pay with your life...
Get the bike, you will forever love it.
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline logan1

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
Ok here is the Deal...

I think i am a really mature guy. Let me tell you y u thin that i am a very mature and level headed person:

(1) I am 23 yrs old
(2) I just Graduated College with a Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I worked my way through college and graduated DEBT FREE. I now have a Job that pays me very well and with the exception of Rent and Food i have no bills.
(3) I Rode a scooter since i was 15 yrs old
(4) I have owned my own car at the age of 20yrs.
(5) I have NEVER had gotten a speeding ticket, DUI or gotten into any trouble with the law.
(6) In fact my record is good enough to have gotten me a LIABILITY INSURANCE QUOTE OF $260 for 12 months with State Farm for a Hayabusa.

Basically i can afford any bike i want but  impulse buying is not really my cup of tea. I intend to buy the bike in the off season (Nov, Dec, Jan, & Feb) so  can get the best deal. I fell in luv with the BUSA when it was released in 1999. Heck i even did  my internal combustion design project for one of my Engineering classes on the Hayabusa Engine optimization.

I Really need to know what my options are; at 6'6" i seem to be limited at best in my selection of sport bikes. So if anyone has an ideas of Decent looking sport bikes please feel free to suggest.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 11:24:04 PM »
busa was my first bike.  i had ~1000miles on a harley or two.  had driven like 10 miles on a crotch rocket.

GO SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was about 3 weeks after i bought the bike until i had pushed half throttle, and that was with full gear, full tank, and a backpack plus a full bulb.  PULLED DAMN HARD!  just ease into it.  it isnt a hard bike to ride or control,

(in general, not necessarily you specifcally):

YOU will be the one that determines if YOU are hard to keep in control, NOT the bike.

go to our race track.  try half throttle, LIGHT lauches, and just up it as you feel 100% confident with it.  shift confidently and solidly, no fancy kickshifting first couple times out.  take especially easy in first and second gears.  this will allow you to safely and confidently (and legally...) ease into the throttle, which is by and far the hardest thing about the bike to get used to IMHO.  if you do this, it will help you on knowing just how MUCH power you have to tap from, and that whacking the throttle isnt a childs game. 

oh yeah, and save some money for down the road..... it will NEED boost sooner or later as all busa's do 8)

Offline annex1300

• Rider
  • LOVE ME LOVE MY BIKE
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 01:45:16 AM »
HAYABUSA is The First Bike of my 

HAYA 02 N/A 10.1@148.**

Offline annex1300

• Rider
  • LOVE ME LOVE MY BIKE
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 01:55:45 AM »
I 5'11" tall

HAYABUSA isn't first bike.  i don't really thing about that.  BUT very careful.

"SPEED ON HAND"

HAYA 02 N/A 10.1@148.**

Offline Turbo Grant

• Rider
  • Aussie Rider
    • Bling Parts Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 04:26:51 AM »
Ok here is the Deal...

I think i am a really mature guy. Let me tell you y u thin that i am a very mature and level headed person:

(1) I am 23 yrs old
(2) I just Graduated College with a Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I worked my way through college and graduated DEBT FREE. I now have a Job that pays me very well and with the exception of Rent and Food i have no bills.
(3) I Rode a scooter since i was 15 yrs old
(4) I have owned my own car at the age of 20yrs.
(5) I have NEVER had gotten a speeding ticket, DUI or gotten into any trouble with the law.
(6) In fact my record is good enough to have gotten me a LIABILITY INSURANCE QUOTE OF $260 for 12 months with State Farm for a Hayabusa.

Basically i can afford any bike i want but  impulse buying is not really my cup of tea. I intend to buy the bike in the off season (Nov, Dec, Jan, & Feb) so  can get the best deal. I fell in luv with the BUSA when it was released in 1999. Heck i even did  my internal combustion design project for one of my Engineering classes on the Hayabusa Engine optimization.

I Really need to know what my options are; at 6'6" i seem to be limited at best in my selection of sport bikes. So if anyone has an ideas of Decent looking sport bikes please feel free to suggest.

you want my personal opinon. here it is.

it's all about time and place...  if you twist that throttle at the wrong time or place....   it can get very nasty very quickly...

being mature has fukk all to do with it...  it comes down to experience and commonsense...  both of those words couldn't care less if you owned 5 cars and 3 houses at 21.. doesn't mean you'll be responsible on a hayabusa.. 

commonsense and experience is what you what.

shit... i'm 26 and work on aircraft that are worth 10's of millions of $$$$$...  yes you have to be mature to touch them , but i still twist the wrist to 180+mph...  get my point?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:29:49 AM by Turbo Grant »
you got a turbo... no excuses!

Offline keef95

• Post Master
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 11:26:06 AM »
I always love these threads...wish I had a buck for every one I've read over the last 6 years.

I don't recall ever reading one that ended with, "Thanks guys!  Your right!  I think I'll get a smaller one instead!"  They should read, "I might buy a 'Busa for my first bike.  Please don't bother to write back as I won't listen anyway."

I often wonder how many people that start these threads are really serious (and I mean REALLY REALLY serious with money, insurance and spousle approval (if applicable) in hand and ready to pull the trigger) about getting a 'Busa and how many just want to get a rise out of the readers.... :wink:
Faster's Funner!!!

Offline Soprano

• Rider
  • Once you're in this family, there's no getting out
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 11:42:15 AM »
Local kid bought a 600 for his first bike and T-boned a Buick century at 70 in a 30mph zone.  Dead instantly.  I bought a Busa for my first bike (never even rode dirt or anything) and have enjoyed the comfort of the bike and ride in the back of the pack.  While I gradually get bolder with it, I have since ridden a 1000 and a 600 and only then did I understand why everyone said to buy a smaller bike to get started.  MUCH EASIER TO HANDLE IN TURNS AND LESS VIOLENT THROTTLE RESPONSE.  I had a scare within the first 2 minutes of owning the bike and have since respected the bike enough not to get brave.  Take the safety class and as stated above you'll probably be buying it anyway.  I did.  But I wouldn't recomend it to many others.  While you determine how much you want to push it, one slip in concentration and the bike will chew you right up and spit you out.  I ran into a guy on a busa my first night out who was a 30yr member of EMS.  His stories scared the always concentrate and never lose focus right into me and I am thankful for this.  When you get comfortable and relax you're toast.

Offline logan1

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 01:00:20 PM »
Guys i am very serious when i say i am open to alterantive bikes that are not as powerful as the BUSA but fit me well. The only one i have found so far is the Honda VFR.

Please suggest alternative sport bikes that dont decent.

Offline MY06LE

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 03:15:49 PM »
The Busa can be a foriving bike UNDER 4-5 thousand RPM, go over 7000 RPM, and it's a whole nother BEAST !!!!!!! Not saying you will do what I did, but on Sunday I was out in the twisty's, and got a little to confident in myself, and let my ego take over, and took a turn too hot, found some loose gravel, and lost my front end. With another bike a few hundred would have been all it would cost to fix it up,

NOT THE BUSA.......lower fairing,clutch lever, front cowel, and front cowel assembly brace, and some stickers, will cost me probably around $1,500 - $2,000, and that's if I do the work myself !!!

Can it be done Yes, could you get an older gixxer 1000(not as bad azz as the newer ones) keep it for a year, then sell it, and almost make most of your money back, you can do that too !!

to keep it real even the 600's are able to go CRAZY FAST !!!!  So really it's all up to what you do !!
2006 LE...GREATEST THING TO EVER GRACE 2 WHEELS

Offline Irish1

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 03:45:01 PM »
To a certain degree I'm with Keef95 on this, especially on the listening part.  Take the replies seriously and either get it and realize you have one of the most bad ass bikes ever made or don't and work your way up. 

The busa in my opinion is very comfortable, aside from it's other obvious atributes, the liter bikes, 600's and 750's are  a lot different in terms of set up.  I'm 6'3" and am very comfortable on it but I am also grabbing a 1000 of some type come this winter.

Go sit on a few and get what feels best, if your set on the busa then do it.   :thumb:

Oh yeah, where in the world did you get that insurance quote?    :shock:

Offline Flash Jorden

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 03:45:55 PM »
Logan1,

I agree with all of the posts. A Busa is not a good idea for a first bike, however, it can and has been done with success. The question is, Is it worth trying it. The Busa is like Dr. Jeckel and Mr. Hyde. If you keep the revs low (under 4K) it rides nice and calm. If you twist the wrist, on purpose or by accident, you WILL unleash the beast, and it bites hard, clear to the bone.

Since you're looking for suggestions, for an alternate bike, here's my suggestion. I'm 6'-2'', and 220lbs. My previous bike was a '95 Suzuki Katana 750. It was nearly as big and heavy as the Busa, sits almost identical, and is docile enough to learn on. It was my 2nd bike, behind an '86 Yamaha FZ600. Once I rode the Kat for a few years, and got comfortable with it, I was really glad I did. While learning and bettering my skills, I had a few "If this had been a more powerful bike, I'd be toast" moments. Like goosing the throttle while leaned over taking a turn on a wet/moist road. On my Kat, I was able to recover from the wheelspin. On my Busa, I woulda been on my ass at best, you can imagine the worst.

Then, once I was ready for more power, I had a Stage One kit upgrade done on it and a new full exhaust, and that baby was ready to rock and roll.

With that said, when it comes to learning to ride a bike, I'm an advocate of start small with an under powered bike. Get really comfortable and constantly practice your riding skills. There is no point learning on a bike that you're constantly afraid might kill you if you mess up, or make a mistake.

Peace

Flash

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
    • Ruthless Performance Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 05:10:53 PM »
It's not like he is asking if he should get a Gixxer 1000 for his first bike.  I think the broard torque curve of the BUSA is a great learning tool.  You can keep it below 5,000 rpms and just use the torque to get you around.  Once you feel comfortable start using the RPMs gradually.

Hell my first Gixxer 1000 scared me A LOT more than my first BUSA.  Wasn't even close.  Even with my experience I was fighting wheelies all the time until I got use too it.  So that leaves what 600 & 750????  I personally would never buy either of these, rode a few and didn't like the lack of power. 

As said in a pervious post, just use common sence.  These bikes have WAY MORE POWER than you will expect, so stay out of the bikes power band (5,000 - 10,000RPMs).  The BUSA is not a terror under these RPMs and are easy to ride, as they are a very stable bike, in the city and at speed.

If you buy a used BUSA and it have a 17 tooth front sprocket or a TRE, remove those and goto stock until you can ride the BUSA.  These two products make the BUSA VERY DANGEROUS for an inexperienced rider.

I mean you don't want to look like Rich Christenson from PINKS.............LOL  Did you guys see why he wiped out that new 1000????  HE IS SUCH A FUCKING JOKE!!!!  How did he get a show about drag racing, when he doesn't have the first clue about it......LOL   OK, off topic.....

keef95  I am not sure I get your point, because there are about as many people saying go for it as there are guys saying not too>?????   Does that mean all of us who are saying go for it and just morons and our opinions don't matter, and the only valid opinion is yours???  Not making a big deal, it just reads as if NO ONE is telling him to buy a BUSA as a first bike and your assuming he will anyway dispite EVERYONE telling him not too....   I don't know what I am saying, just rambling now....LOL   But I really like your point of Spousal Approval.........LOL   That shit made me laugh.  But then I cried when I realized you where serious.......   :cry:
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
It's not like he is asking if he should get a Gixxer 1000 for his first bike.  I think the broard torque curve of the BUSA is a great learning tool.  You can keep it below 5,000 rpms and just use the torque to get you around.  Once you feel comfortable start using the RPMs gradually.

Hell my first Gixxer 1000 scared me A LOT more than my first BUSA.  Wasn't even close.  Even with my experience I was fighting wheelies all the time until I got use too it.  So that leaves what 600 & 750????  I personally would never buy either of these, rode a few and didn't like the lack of power. 

As said in a pervious post, just use common sence.  These bikes have WAY MORE POWER than you will expect, so stay out of the bikes power band (5,000 - 10,000RPMs).  The BUSA is not a terror under these RPMs and are easy to ride, as they are a very stable bike, in the city and at speed.

If you buy a used BUSA and it have a 17 tooth front sprocket or a TRE, remove those and goto stock until you can ride the BUSA.  These two products make the BUSA VERY DANGEROUS for an inexperienced rider.

I mean you don't want to look like Rich Christenson from PINKS.............LOL  Did you guys see why he wiped out that new 1000????  HE IS SUCH A FUCKING JOKE!!!!  How did he get a show about drag racing, when he doesn't have the first clue about it......LOL   OK, off topic.....

keef95  I am not sure I get your point, because there are about as many people saying go for it as there are guys saying not too>?????   Does that mean all of us who are saying go for it and just morons and our opinions don't matter, and the only valid opinion is yours???  Not making a big deal, it just reads as if NO ONE is telling him to buy a BUSA as a first bike and your assuming he will anyway dispite EVERYONE telling him not too....   I don't know what I am saying, just rambling now....LOL   But I really like your point of Spousal Approval.........LOL   That shit made me laugh.  But then I cried when I realized you where serious.......   :cry:

17T is the OEM sprocket size.

16t is the scary one for a new rider  :D

go for it man,  enjoy the ride  :thumb:

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 05:54:27 PM »
i agree with 1BadAssBusa, the power curve is VERY easy to ease into as you get better at ridding.  i dont like riding 600's and smaller bikes, namely because the powerband is just too awkward to get the feeling right.  just do as he had said (and my suggestions from before help too, you have a similar story as me when i bought mine).  i think that this ease of powerband is the reason why SO many turbo thiers, they are able to comfortably push the bike further and further until they can hold it WOT to redline.

Offline Irish1

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »
Yup, the last 2 posts hit it on the head, that would be a nail or something right, anyway,,,,,, get the bike and be carefull.   I rode 2 stroke 250's and 500's for years both on the dirt and on the street, meaning dirt bikes and circut bikes (not trying to insult you with the whole meaning thing) but the lower RPM's on the Busa are very comfortable for new riders. 

Like 1badassbusa said, 5-10k that's where you will need to take your time.  It will get very lose very quickly and if your not used to it,,,,, well the terms low & high siding come to mind along with the front wheel floating etc. etc. etc. AND if you really haven't ridin much,,, well panic, then throttle roll, traffic, guard rails ohhhhh, then,,, well let your imagination take it from there.  You just need to get your reflexes and natural riding instincts together to avoid all of the bad things that can come from all of the good things associated with the bike! Keep it smooth, stay on local roads and practice starting off, brake control as in lock em up to see where your breaking point is and enjoy :thumb:

Rich Christenson,  HMMMM 8)  Ok, let's get all fired up cause one of the cars is down :ohman: look over at one of your guys on the show and ask him "Is that thing fast"  hear the reply "yeah" along with getting a confused look at the same time,,,, hop on the bike like your freakin the SHIT :hm: , kick into it like you know your are THE MAN and you know what your doing :moped: AND BLAM you freakin go left,,, you freakin go right,,,, then you slam the shit out of your face, hand, arm, nuts, and 7 head (definitly doesn't qualify for the normal 4 head) :clown: :clp: :lmao: :bwdwn:   YUP I laughed my ass off, so did my kids (that's kinda wrong but oh well)

Sorry to ramble Logan1 but that episode will definitly give you an idea of what bikes can do!  Alright been laughing to hard, gotta go and get a  :drink:

Offline coop

• Post Master
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 09:46:02 PM »
Sorry, very bad idea.  Get a bike that fits you well and with good power (like a Honda 919, or Vmax, etc.)   They'll still go fast, but cheaper insurance and no fairing.  Take the MSF courses (at least the beginners course) and then ride for a bit.  Once you have down your new skills and some more riding experience, then upgrade.  Not that you can't just buy a Busa, but why not learn on an easier bike that is cheaper and won't cost a fortune if you drop it.

If you do go straight for the Busa (which you probably will! LOL).  Be very progressive in your learning curve, the bike will bury you if you screw up.
Its a great bike, but a poor choice for a newer rider.  We all look forward to seeing you on one in the future and "shiny side up" to you.

Hope this helps, just my two cents...

There is no way in hell I would recomend a fuckin vmax as a first bike over a busa, are you even serious. Its pretty clear you have never ridden a vmax or you would not make a comment like that. The vmax is a scary bike when it comes to turning or stopping. You would get in trouble a lot faster and easier with a POS vmax then you would with a busa. If you take it slow and respect the bikes power you will be fine.

Offline reaper0995

• Post Master
    • my turbo project
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 11:16:55 PM »
hey coop, is that a stock reflector on your avatar? :lol: 

just pokin fun man, never noticed it until now! :wink: