Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 04 R1 hp at rear wheel lolol  (Read 10031 times)

Offline LumpyRutherford

• Rider
04 R1 hp at rear wheel lolol
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Todd:
quote:
I came to the same conclusion about the Busa. Much more power through the rev range than the 12, the 12 only becomes comparable above 9500 rpm. It's impossible to run between 9500 rpm and redline all the time.
Exactly.  The 12 only makes more *peak* HP.  Up until 9500, the Busa always makes more and it just smashes the 12 on torque:

The numerous worldwide head to head results still speak for themselves:

http://myweb.cableone.net/toddshelton/testdata.html

get the rpm's up, keep 'em up...kick busa ass...after i leave the line, my bike never drops below 9500rpm until i cross the finish line.  
SIGNATURE? I dont need no stinkin signature........

Offline Todd

• Mad Post Whore
  • JunkScience.com
    • Hayabusa vs ZX-12R
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2004, 06:18:00 PM »
Guess you didn't read the worldwide 1/4 mile head to head results at http://myweb.cableone.net/toddshelton/testdata.html

did you?!        

Even Gadson couldn't beat the mag riders.    

Suzuki GSX1300R  9.86 sec @ 145.80 mph [Performed by CycleWorld magazine rider]
Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.06 sec @ 142 mph  [Performed by Ricky Gadson - Top Kawasaki Pro Drag racer]
Liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American security.

Offline LumpyRutherford

• Rider
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2004, 10:33:00 PM »
quote:
Guess you didn't read the worldwide 1/4 mile head to head results at http://myweb.cableone.net/toddshelton/testdata.html

did you?!        

Kawasaki ZX-12R 10.06 sec @ 142 mph  [Performed by Ricky Gadson - Top Kawasaki Pro Drag racer]

Ricky who? never heard of him.......guess i should ride less and read more magazines..  
SIGNATURE? I dont need no stinkin signature........

Offline VC22348

• Rider
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanx Ugly old Rider... Not sure what I am chasing but it is definitely electrical..

Offline Todd

• Mad Post Whore
  • JunkScience.com
    • Hayabusa vs ZX-12R
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »
quote:
Ricky who? never heard of him.......
Yeah, I'd pretend I didn't know who he was either ...

If I owned a 12!

Bahahahahahah!!  
Liberals always manage to take the position that most undermines American security.

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by SuperDave:
If everthing is Kosher, the bike should make 12-15% LESS at the rear wheel than at the crank...forget the "with ram air" figure unless that Dyno has a 90MPH fan in front of it.  Just use the 172HP crank figure and take away 15%.  I come up with about 147 at the wheel.  140 sounds low.  Unless of course, factory claims are optomistic.

15% is too high for a chain drive bike.  It's more like 10~12%.  Take a stock Busa as an example.  MSO rates crank HP at 173 SAE.  Avg dyno test is 155 SAE at the rear wheel.  That's a 10.4% loss.  If it was 15%, then a stock Busa would only avg about 147 RWHP.  Not many stockers have that low of SAE RWHP.

Also, you only can get about 4.5% added HP from ram-air at 190 mph.  At 90 mph, the added HP from ram-air is only about 1%.
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2004, 07:18:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 02SE:
Yes, they are all somewhat optimistic. Although I haven't heard of suzuki making any claims factoring in Ram-air in their hp estimates, like Kawi, and Yamaha have.

Adding the ram-air additional HP is the new "advertising trend" these days.  Most people don't understand that the HP gained from ram-air is a squared function, so you have to be going 150+ mph to get any real noticeable benefits.

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2004, 07:23:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Cookie:
That is right. The 12r  had to place more horsepower on the bike because it clearly does not have the aerodynamics to hold the candle to the mighty Hayabusa.

Take those Mickey Mouse ear mirrors off the 12 and you'd probably gain 5% better aero on the beeotch.  

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2004, 07:25:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by waterboy:
the manufacturers  always exagerate

I really don't think Suzuki exaggerated about the Busa's HP rating.  Says right on the MSO (Manufacture's Statement of Origin ... like the "birth certificate") 173 SAE HP (at crank).  Hell, Motorcyclist mag measured 160+ RWHP on a bone stock Busa in 1999, so it was making what Suzuki claimed for sure.

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2004, 07:28:00 PM »
quote:

did you?!        

Gotta watch out sometimes on the cycle mag 1/4 mile tests because a lot of them put a correction factor on their test results to account for high altitude and shitty air conditions during the runs.

Offline 02SE

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by @11K:
quote:
Originally posted by 02SE:
Yes, they are all somewhat optimistic. Although I haven't heard of suzuki making any claims factoring in Ram-air in their hp estimates, like Kawi, and Yamaha have.

Adding the ram-air additional HP is the new "advertising trend" these days.  Most people don't understand that the HP gained from ram-air is a squared function, so you have to be going 150+ mph to get any real noticeable benefits.
Yes, I agree, Sport Rider magazine had some good articles on the benefits of Ram-air. I believe it was in '99 when they ran the articles. In the articles they stated that with a well designed Ram-air system, a bike could generate an additional 10-12 hp when running at it's top speed. As opposed to static measurements on a dyno.

In the article the Busa didn't generate pressures above ambient in the airbox, until it reached 145 mph. But the busa's ram-air ducts aren't sealed very well, you lose pressure, because of the poor seal between the airbox, and frame.

The best designs generated pressures above ambient in the airbox, by 70 mph. But the biggest gains were of course at high speeds.

I guess it's not too much of a surprise that the Kawi's performed very well. After all, motorcycles are kind of a sideline for them, their main business is building airplanes.

Offline Todd

• Mad Post Whore
  • JunkScience.com
    • Hayabusa vs ZX-12R
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »
quote:
Gotta watch out sometimes on the cycle mag 1/4 mile tests because a lot of them put a correction factor on their test results to account for high altitude and shitty air conditions during the runs.
Doesn't much matter if they both receive the same correction.

Maybe you'll like this better:

Head to head
Same day
Same track
Same rider
Bikes interchanged between runs

Hayabusa best of multiple runs:

9.88 sec @ 143.88 mph

ZX-12 best of multiple runs:

9.92 sec @ 143.74 mph

All times NON corrected.

Offline CrazyCooter

• Rider
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »
My buddy has both an 04 R-1 and a ZX10.
The R-1 made 155+ after being used on the track.

The ZX made a few less, but it had less than 2 miles when it hit the dyno. I'm expecting the ZX to have a few more ponies than the R-1 after a few miles.

The R-1 also has a PC3r.

Offline maui

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2004, 01:09:00 AM »
140 is by far the lowest I've seen, most are around 150-155 from what I've heard. I know that at 95mph @ 10,000rpms (2nd gear) my 04 is starting to really pull and the front tire is about a foot off the ground and climbing....but I'm still just breaking it in so I've yet to really ring it out...

in any case, its a very fast bike.

Offline CrazyCooter

• Rider
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2004, 11:48:00 PM »
I was off a little.

The R1 made 145 out of the box, 155.3 after break in, and 158.1 w/ pc3r.

The ZX made 146 out of the box.