Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Details of Danno's Mishap  (Read 10466 times)

Offline FullTilt

• Post Master
    • http://www.fulltiltlife.com
Details of Danno's Mishap
« on: November 24, 2002, 11:11:00 PM »
I chatted with Dan for about 25 minutes after they got him out of surgery today. The battery on his cell was dying, so he might have trouble picking it up until he gets a charger for it.

So here is what happened. He was on his way to meet us for a ride this morning after having already done a ton of twisty riding in the morning. Our 10:30 meeting time allowed him to cover the Crest, Little Tujunga, Bouquet Canyon and San Francisquito Canyon all before he met us. Told me he was riding well and felt great. 10 minutes before he would have arrived at Nick's place, he took an exit off the 101 to take a piss. After exiting the highway (which ends at a stoplight on a road perpendicular to the freeway), he turned left under the freeway. The light on the other side of the freeway was green for him, so he didn't have to slow or stop as he continued onwards. He saw a large white SUV (may have been an Explorer, but he wasn't sure) coming through the red light - even though there were an number of other stopped cars at the light. He adjusted to steer himself around the back of the truck, but ... the SUV then decided to apply the brakes. This threw his calculations off and meant he had no options left. He hit the rear quarter panel of the vehicle and was thrown through the left rear window and came out of the opposite window on the other side.

When he stopped, his bike was about six feet away and running WFO bouncing off the rev limiter. He tried to move to hit the kill switch wondering why the tipover switch wasn't doing its job. When he moved, he became aware that his left leg was messed up, so he didn't move. Didn't know who the driver was. There were plenty of people around. The police came and shuttled him off along with his bike, which he thinks probably ended up in the LAPD impound. He told me he broke his femur and messed his knee up a bit. Doctors told him it would be about six weeks before he would be walking. The rest of his body is bumped and bruised, but not too bad. Shoulder sore, hand hurts (he thinks it impacted the vehicle when he hit), other leg a bit sore. Helmet show no indications of trauma, other than a scratched face shield. They had to cut his NEW leather pants off when it was very painful to remove them without doing so. He okayed the cutting. His jacket is okay. The bike will probably be a total loss.

He needs some clothes and a phone charger and wants to get home ASAP. Danno is hoping they'll release him in a day or two. He'll need a ride and someone with a truck to help him get his bike home.

Big Drag for BiggerDanno.

Glad he is as positive as he is about the whole things. He said to tell you guys two things:

1. Shit Happens
2. His right wrist is fine, so he'll have no trouble twisting the throttle and kicking Nico's ass when he finally lines up against him ...        

K
)<

"It isn't easy being green." - Kermit

Offline PurpleHaze

• Post Master
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 11:16:00 PM »
Again glad he made it out ok, going thru one window and out another, he's very lucky.
I wish him a speedy recovery.
"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile... can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

Offline L.A. Don

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 11:19:00 PM »
K,  If needed I can pick him up and drive him home.  I have an Expedition with a tow hitch, but no trailer to put his bike on.  When is he being released?

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 11:29:00 PM »
1. Shit happens

and

2. His right wrist is fine

That's our Danno! He's gonna be hurting for a while but I think he sounds like he's going to be o.k. Get well soon Danno...Dwight-PA

Offline Bus Rydr

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 11:37:00 PM »
Man, that sucks!

Hope all turns out well.  I haven't ever hooked up with you guys for a ride, but if he needs a pick up, I would be happy to help with his bike.  Just need an over night notice so I can have my F-150 instead of my Expedition.

Offline RHYTHM

• Post Master
    • http://www.indepentconnection.org
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 11:37:00 PM »
Prayer's were answered  

Offline GSXRN99

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2002, 11:39:00 PM »
MY MONIES ARE STILL ON YA BUDDY!

Offline NICKSLICK

• Mad Post Whore
    • http://www.websitemonster.com/nico/movies
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 01:24:00 AM »

Nick >              Danno  >    

MY ANIMATED GIRLY GIF IS BETTER THAN YOURS PUNK. (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE)

suzuki4life

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 01:40:00 AM »
Do they have the other driver? I would make sure they paid. Very well at that.

Offline PurpleHaze

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2002, 07:29:00 AM »
fulltilt, I have a trailer, if you guy's need to borrow it, just let me know, I'm in Temecula.  
"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile... can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served in the United States Navy.'"

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2002, 07:35:00 AM »
a room # and land line# would be nice to know  

Offline RedShift

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2002, 07:57:00 AM »
How about a tag number of the biatch that ran the red light? I'd like to have a couple of words with that fucker.    
Don't let out the magic smoke.

Offline BOOSTED

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2002, 08:11:00 AM »
Glad to hear he doing ok
Unless u r the lead dog  the view never changes

Offline NLR-power and control

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2002, 10:03:00 AM »
call me to schedule up our trailer. Its at my house and is alittle closer for ya then temecula. Its in corona.
sorry to hear about this but glad hes okay.
909-888-8057

Offline Fragg

• Rider
    • http://www.socaldraggers.com
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2002, 11:51:00 PM »
Wow glad to hear he is gonna be OK. How is his back I hope it didn't suffer any recurring damage?

Prayers are with you bro!

Offline Bently

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2002, 12:04:00 PM »
Glad your Okay Danno, hate to read about this type of stuff. Glad you were wearing your gear!  

Offline potshot

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2002, 01:00:00 PM »
Shit that sucks dude. I'm glad your OK! Just got back from the east coast and was looking forward to another ride with you. Take it easy and heal up bro!    

Fuckin cagers.  

Offline skid vicious

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2002, 02:31:00 PM »
glad to hear he's gonna be alright.  

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2002, 02:40:00 PM »
Damn it Danno! You're luck this year sucks! I can't believe this story, man pretty damn tramatic!
I know we all take chances but I know Danno is a level headed rider!
Glad to hear you're still speaking    

Hope to be talking to ya soon!

Offline Peregrine

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2002, 07:24:00 PM »
Whew!!    

Get well soon Danno!!          

Offline rad5racer

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2002, 07:47:00 PM »
you will be back in no time danno. anything i can do let me know.(707) 584-2337

Offline icewtr

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2002, 08:27:00 PM »
Damn  you miss a day or 2 on this site and look what happens ..  sorry to hear about it for danno ..  glad he is alright  ..  guess it was not a bad thing for me not to take that ride with him this weekend .. ..  also  i do have a closed trailer.  if needed to get his bike home .. danno has my number .. also a van he can lie down in if he needs to get home that way ..

Offline sraber

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2002, 08:49:00 PM »
Danno,  Damn, Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad you were not hurt worse, and I hope you will heal fast. Let me know if you need any help, with anything.

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2002, 08:52:00 PM »
hey thanks for posting a room number and phone number
that was pretty con        siderate of you

Offline sporttourer

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2002, 09:29:00 PM »
I hope you have a healthy recovery D.

Keep us updated on how the legal stuff works out so we can learn what to do or not do. It seems like the courts are too lenient on people guilty of traffic violations that sometimes inflict serious harm, like this case.