Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: MPS Auto Shifter on Busa  (Read 11961 times)

Offline cajunboys

• Rider
MPS Auto Shifter on Busa
« on: August 24, 2007, 04:04:39 PM »
 I have installed a couple of MPS auto shifters, I decided to put one on the Busa. All works fine, but the shift kill time is to long,& its turned all the way to the shortest kill time. I sent Dan @ MPS back the auto  shift box,& he sent another one,it was only a little better.The shift time is not fast as on my other bike. Any ideas out there??? I heard something about the electric/air solenoid being mounted close to the ram?? Thanks for any help. I'm trying to figure out whats wrong?

Offline species0113

• Post Whore
Re: MPS Auto Shifter on Busa
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »
get your money back and get one from matt at cycle-tek or smithabusa. :lol:

Offline sixreps

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 06:22:02 PM »
Yes send it back send it back man      oh yeah   there is this flashing light you will see.  not sure what that's all about.       Give Matt a call
Really  I wasn't going that fast.

Offline jasonsbusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 07:29:16 AM »
How far is the solenoid from the ram? Also how are you connected to the coils? I have an MPS shifter and my red light doesnt come on and have never had any problems with shifts. Instead of telling him to send it back why not try to help him with his problem.

Offline species0113

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 07:57:51 AM »
How far is the solenoid from the ram? Also how are you connected to the coils? I have an MPS shifter and my red light doesnt come on and have never had any problems with shifts. Instead of telling him to send it back why not try to help him with his problem.

You would think MPS would be trying to help him out. I know I drove Matt crazy with my setup, but he hung in there like a trooper and we worked it out. All that I'm saying is. now a days, once someone has your money, their support ends. I can't say anything bad or good about MPS. I have limited dealing with them. My reply was basically a humerous plug for cycle-tek. :thumb:

Offline jasonsbusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 08:12:42 AM »
He did say he sent it back to Dan and they sent him a new one.I know first hand Dan will assist you after the sale.He was alot of help when I had my Fast FI box.I also know Matt and Greg go out of their way to help customers and even help if you didnt buy something from them.Both good guys.Cant go wrong either way.

Offline sixreps

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 09:35:30 AM »
He's right we should  do just as Matt & Greg has done with everyone   try and help him out.

I started out with a Kill box from MPS and things  works great but the only thing was the FI light flashing.
Call Dan  and he said  there isn't a fix for that just put tape  over the light  :evil:. that's why I turned to Matt.

Now the way I had it setup.
Box in the rear
Solider all 4 wires to the coils ( not the gray wires)
Solenoid  mounted near the coolent tank on the inside of the frame under the tank.
Cylinder is mounted under the stator cover (with one of Lee's brackets)
Wires are to the horn and the solenoid  with a switch.
Also I have an onboard compresse.
I have the kill time set about middle ways

Like I said it works great  not one miss shift in 2 yrs. on the streets or at the track.
and the only reason I changed it out  is that I didn't like the FI light flashing.  so now I have Matt's setup.
Just like everyone has said it's true he stands by his product. And for Greg. i can't say enough about this guy other than he's one UGLY cat. (LOL) the kill box isn't his baby but he would do everything he can to help make it right and get you going.

This is why I said to send it back. oh and you will have  a little $ left over to get yourself lunch.

Really  I wasn't going that fast.

Offline cajunboys

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »
The air hose from the shift Ram to the Electric/air solenoid is about 34"

Offline WAR MACHINE 1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 10:40:18 AM »
THAT LINE  IS TOO LONG  MOUNT THE SOLENOID ON OR BY THE COOLAND TANK AND THEN RUN YOUR AIR LINE  TO  THE RAM  THAT SHOULD FIX  YOUR PROBLEM  IF  EVERYTHING  ELSE IS  SET UP RIGHT    IT SHOULD  SHIFT  FINE WITH THE BOX SET  FULL QUICK 

GUY

Offline jasonsbusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »
Exactly.Move solenoid closer to the ram and you will be fine.

Offline cajunboys

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 11:09:22 AM »
Exactly.Move solenoid closer to the ram and you will be fine.
Thanks ALOT, I may go work on that in a little bit;So Dam HOT & humid in South Louisiana right now. Thanks again

Offline jasonsbusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 03:27:16 PM »
Let us know how it works out.

Offline cajunboys

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 03:31:24 PM »
Just got done with it. Elecctr/air solenoid hose to ram was about 35", I re mounted it closer and hose to ram is now around 15", BUT, it only made a margenial difference. It works good,but just doesn't shift as fast as i would like or the kill time is to long.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:34:56 AM by rrtbusa »

Offline jasonsbusa

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »
Mine is about 8 inches from the ram,alot run it mounted to the coolant bottle maybe 3-4 inches away.I have my kill time at the lowest setting and works fine.

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 09:24:54 AM »
Hey guys,

rrtbusa,
You can mount it to the coolant res about 3/4 the way up.  I use a 90deg fitting on the input of the solenoid facing forward and up, a 45deg fitting on the output facing backward and down and a 90deg fitting on the cylinder.  This makes for very easy routing into the solenoid and about a 5-6" line coming out of the solenoid and into the cylinder.  I supply a 2 1/2" 8-32 stainless screw and a Nylok nut to back it up.  If you use #8 hardware you'll have to open up the mounting hole in the solenoid to 11/64", and I use the top hole in the solenoid only, for better positioning.

Here's some pics, hopefully it'll give you the idea.  This was setup on a reverse shift pattern, just fyi.  If you need any fittings or hardware I can give you a hand there too.  Good luck, and make sure you keep the tube off of anything that gets hot! 

Matt

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:19:41 AM by EXTREMEFUN1300 »

Offline Kurt

• Baconator
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 03:39:57 PM »
I have mine set-up just like Matt shows  in the pictures and it works great  :thumb:

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
Shorter lines and mounting like in the pic will fix the problem... :thumb:

Offline cajunboys

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 02:36:47 AM »
  I don't know if this has a difference with my problem, But I have the shifter ram mounted under the foot peg using the spencer cycle shifter bracket

Offline LeasingGuy

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:07 PM »
Whats with the MPS box and the FI light? Does this affect all Busa's? I just bought a Busa and was planning on installing my MPS shifter but In not looking for any headaches
TAG Motorsports
NHRA #317
AMA D-18 MX #775

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »
Vertical mounting of the cylinder is the BEST way to get the most leverage on the shift lever, period.  Yes, the horizontal brackets work too, but I've found more often then not when someone is having issues with inconsistent shifting and they switch to vertical mount, as long as it's not an actual trans problem the issue usually disappears.  Again, I didn't say horizontal mounts don't work, but physics are physics.
The FI light flashing after shifts isn't harming anything nor is it an indication of a malfunction, it's just an annoyance.

If you need any tips or advice on your install feel free to hit me up, matt@cycle-tek.com  is direct email.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 07:31:09 AM by EXTREMEFUN1300 »

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
Like Matt mentioned about the horizontal mount having less mechanical advantage, I've been trying to show a couple local guys here the difference like this...
Simply take two fingers and move the shift lever where it would mount for the vertical arrangement at the foot lever, now take the same two fingers and try to move it where the bracket mounts to the shift rod for the horizontal arrangement - no brainer there, why put all that extra stress on the cylinder? And yes, absolutley get the solenoid as close to the cylinder as possible for full use of your kill box(electricity seems to flow a littel faster then co2 ;-)).

LeasingGuy, I don't know anything about MPS's setup(other then I see them for sale and even given away on occasion), but I can tell you if you're not looking for headaches then use the email address that ExtremeFun1300 put in his last post and you will not be disappointed(look around and see how many of his units you see for sale used ;-)). My wife and I have two of them, I have 3 other people that I've got to buy them for their bikes and I'll bet I get at least another one or two before the year is out.
My problem is I don't have enough bikes for the amount of shifters I want!
Todd

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2007, 07:30:43 AM »
 :lol:

Thank you, Todd, and very good anology. 

You guys get the decals I sent a few weeks back?   :thumb:

Matt

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 08:11:42 AM »
Got 'em Matt, THANKS!
Dropped ya an email saying so... you didn't get it?
Todd

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 08:34:42 AM »
 :no:

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 07:54:22 PM »
It was an email saying they were recieved, there was enough of them to use as business cards, cover each of our bikes and have one or two left over to use as an excuse of having to get more bikes and shifters ;-). There was a few pics in it also, heres one... (the white one on the tail goes well with Greg's in the same place on the opposite side).

Since I can't seem to find a copy in my outgoing mail, it appears it didn't make it out on my end.

And our shifters(as always) are still working awesome.
Thanks again buddy,
Todd
PS: Got any bottle orings I can get from you, or best place to source them from? Now that I'm regulary filling bottles here(and will start taking care of Maxton members as well now), I'd like to keep 10 or 12 of them on hand.

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »
That looks great, Todd, thanks for the props buddy! 
I'll get some out to you this week, I've got plenty.

Thanks again!
Matt

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2007, 08:54:40 AM »
 :thumb:
I'll hit up your paypal or send you a check, just tell me how much and which is better.
Todd

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2007, 09:27:31 AM »
not necessary, but thank you for offering.   :thumb:

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »
Thank you my friend, very nice indeed(guess I owe Deb owes ya then)!   
You don't happen to have any 0-1500psi gauges do you?
Todd

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 10:58:09 PM »
:thumb:
I'll hit up your paypal or send you a check, just tell me how much and which is better.
Todd

Todd I am very sorry I meant to talk with Matt and get that taken care of in exchange for the burst disc you hooked me up with, been crazy trying to move etc.  Anyhow no excuse, Matt let me know what it cost to send the parts etc to Todd and I will send it to you.

Greg
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 06:54:50 AM »
Thanks for offering buddy, but you must be stoned out of your mind to think I'm going to take payment from you over DEB!  :shock:

Thank you my friend, very nice indeed(guess I owe Deb owes ya then)!  

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 03:24:12 PM »
It's all cool Greg, you just get settled in man(I don't envy ya there and am sure you have your hands plenty full).
Heck, If I knew you'd be wanting to pay for what I wanted and Matt would be happy with Deb being the OWEY... then I would of asked for another shifter instead!!!  :lol:
Got my package today Matt, all is well... we're all square and life is good.  :wink:
Todd
PS: just curious, how's the shifters for those 12's going?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 03:25:44 PM by narider »

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 07:57:04 AM »
They'll be on Ali's doorstep today  :wink:

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 08:54:26 AM »
They'll be on Ali's doorstep today  :wink:

WOW :shock:, I can't get the post office to get stuff where I want it on a regular weekday.. and you have them delivering on SUNDAY :?:  :wink:
Todd

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 09:12:54 AM »
 :shock:
Sunday?

:crzy:

Gezzzzz'z, I'm all screwed up the past fews weeks  :?
Delivery confirmation says they were delivered Friday actually.

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 09:28:18 AM »
LMAO.... was just good to know I'm not the only one that never has a clue what day it is(when ya work 7 a week it kind of doesn't matter much).  I said to Deb that Ali would be getting it today, and then she's the one that mentioned it was Sunday(and that' I need to get to work - lol).
Cool deal on them making it.. hopefully they will both be well utilized in 2 weeks at Maxton,
Todd

Offline FJman

• Rider
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 12:22:23 PM »
Matt's pretty mouthy for a little guy....  :lol:

Kidding mate :D  Anyone with balls enough to run a turbo at stock WB can't be all stupid... (Or is REALLY stupid but too insane to piss off!!!)

Offline EXTREMEFUN1300

• Cycle Tek
  • Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • www.cycle-tek.com
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 02:29:58 PM »
 :crzy: