Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Delay boxes-like or hate  (Read 11368 times)

rat

Delay boxes-like or hate
« on: November 09, 2002, 05:46:00 PM »
I ran without one on my 02 busa this year.I have used one for A few years on my gpz kawasaki.I think its tough to run all delay box bikes and not have one also.I was off and on with lights this year with box I rarley have worse than .050rt I really dont like them but will prob at least go to button rather than clutch handle next year.All the regulers at my home track run them.

Offline Tim Taylor

• Apprentice Post Whore
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 10:57:00 AM »
Delay boxes completely killed Motorcycle racing here.  Before guys started putting them on there bikes there were lines of bikes. The streetbike guys didn't have a chance anymore so they stopped coming.  the guys that didn't want or have the money to get a delay box quit comming. Finally thier was only a handful of bikes where it was a ton of bikes so they quit running bikes at the track because of lack of support.

Offline len

• Post Master
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 11:10:00 PM »
I personally use a box, and I also dont mind running against a box bike, with out a box. You just have to practice and get good and know your bike, thats a lame excuse for not comming because you dont have a box. If you take racing seriously, and run against someone better or with a box(and a box dont make a bad rider better) you will get better,.Alot of tracks will run no E bikes with no E cars, the people who stop comming , didnt really want to race too bad anyway.Most guys like that usually just come for test an tune so they can run their buddy or a little money bet with someone.Most DIV> finials allow box's, so if the track bans box's , their shooting their self in the foot  when it comes to the Finials. I perfer NO BOX, but street class has a poor payout most places, You wnat to get rid of the box's, have a high payout for no E in bikes, I would be their.
MY MOMMA TOLD ME I WAS SLOW!!! What did she mean ?

rat

Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 11:47:00 PM »
DOdobird are you using the button clutch that mps sells for hydrolic clutch.If so does it adjust and work good?  

Offline len

• Post Master
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 06:10:00 PM »
billy, I think you posted about that before, might have been about the time the board went down, The item that mps sells is just a linelock, like is used on the cars for a burnout, I use a TCI line lock, nothing special, and I operate it off a delay box,(you can operate it off a button also ,without a box, I'v got mine set up both ways, so I can leave off the button with out the box on the bike,. Works ok, but their are a number of things you need to do to make it work good, I'v spent a year making the hydrolic clutch work consistant, I think I finially got it where all I need to change is in my electronic set up.To bring my 60'fts in a little tigher in consistancy. Are you racing only or riding on the street also, If interested email me and I'll tell you what else I did. DODO

Offline hayabusa maniac

• Rider
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2002, 09:26:00 AM »
How do delay boxes work, I know they improve reaction times (or make them more consistant), do they just allow the bike to be launched with the throttle and a button or what.  I also don't understand how giving the delay box input such as you and your opponents dial in and whether a .400 or .500 tree can be utilized by a box.  How do you operate them, during stage, last yellow, or what?  

rat

Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2002, 03:33:00 PM »
They dont work on pro tree.In bracket racing you leave on top yellow by releasing button.If you fell your rt is to slow you simply subtract from timer.Let say my 1st rt was A .100 I would prob -.080 from the timer to try for A .020If opponent is slower (leaving first)Then you switch toggle to his tree and release button on his 1st yellow.Most use MSD ignition with it.Then I think mps hydrolic button release would work with busa.  

Offline Ludicrous Speed

• Post Master
  • Southern IL
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2002, 03:44:00 PM »
I don't run a box on my bike, but I have one in my 67 Camaro Super Pro car.  

Our track has two separate classes for bikes:  Pro, and Street.  Pro bikes, anything goes.  Street bike means no wheelie bars, boxes, or slicks.

You can use one on a pro tree in a car, in fact, a lot of the Super Gas and Super comp guys have to use them to keep from redlighting.

All a delay box is, is an elecronic timer.  When you stage, you hold in a button.  When the first light on the tree comes on, you release the button.  The timer counts down and releases something (in a car, it is a trans brake, on a bike, it is the clutch)

What it is for is to help you cut more consistent lights, closer to a perfect light than you could do with your foot.

BTW, my lights usually average .515 or better......  
2009 White/Blue Hayabusa
2004 Busa-Black and Purple  TOTALLED BY INATTENTIVE TEEN DRIVER!
67 Camaro (big tire bracket car)
89 Mustang GT vert

Offline BJJBUSA

• Rider
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2002, 04:24:00 PM »
It's all about how seriously you take drag racing. I don't use a box in my car and cut consistent 5-0's and 5 teens. I've cut the tree down on many a boxed car. I've only had my bike to the track once, but on my third pass cut a .518 and backed it with a .512. I've been racing for 14 years and have only driven one car with a box. If you learn your machine, it's amount of roll out, and stage consistant, I don't think a box is a necessity. Kinda takes the fun out of it if you ask me. (of course losin' to a better light kinda sucks) Just my .02 worth.
Second place is nothing more than the first place loser.

Offline Badbusa1

• Rider
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2002, 07:01:00 PM »
delay boxes killed racing here also, at 1 time there were 40 to 50 bikes on a sat night now there are 10 if your lucky.

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2002, 07:07:00 PM »
Those would really be a big help if they were still using a little guy w/two flags.

Ah, the good old days!  

Offline len

• Post Master
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2002, 08:50:00 PM »
little guy?, we used to use the gal with the biggest hooters. she would face the drivers and raise the flags above her head then drop them, and always     lean forward, oh what a sight.

Offline Steve A

• Universal Post Whore
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2002, 08:55:00 PM »
Yeah, we'd do that on the street  but most of the strips had a system where you'd put the tip of one flag on the ground and then point the other at each racer and then after a very slight pause raise the one off the ground.  That was the start signal.

Offline Tim Taylor

• Apprentice Post Whore
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2002, 09:25:00 AM »
Lame excuse or not the bikes quit comming and they dropped bikes all together.  I put a box on my bike and used it.  Your right most of the guys that brought there bikes to the track only did it for fun and were not Serious.  But we had a ton of bikes then. At one of our other tracks the new trend is Streetbikes showing up with Slicks on the back now.  Since M/T put out the 17" inch slick more and more bikes are running them.

rat

Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2002, 02:19:00 PM »
They go on easy stock chainguard works fine.

Offline emarsh

• Post Master
    • http://homepage.mac.com/emarsh/
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2002, 08:08:00 AM »
Hate - I think electronics takes a lot of the skill out of the game.
Red/gray turbo 1397 Busa for the track.
Black stock ZX14 for the street

When people ask about the 14, I always enjoy telling them that it's my slow  bike.

Offline BOOSTED

• Mad Post Whore
Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2002, 01:03:00 PM »
It's much more fun to do it yourself, the box helps alot but it's not fun, u know that the box does all the work for u and u know u can't do it with    out a box so not fun at all. DO IT YOURSELF!
Unless u r the lead dog  the view never changes

THEMOTORHEAD

Delay boxes-like or hate
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2002, 08:27:00 AM »
here they are outlawed in most races