Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Tranny problems on 07 Hayabusa  (Read 14962 times)

Offline samurai85gt

• New User!
Tranny problems on 07 Hayabusa
« on: September 15, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
Hey whats up im a new rider and got the balls to buy an 07 Hayabusa as my first bike... I got it 3 months ago and the bike has prob 5200 miles on it right now... About 1500 miles ago started to notice a prob in 2nd gear.. At first i thought it was me but my friends who have been riding for years told me i have a tranny prob..  At high output the bike shifts out of gear and back into gear at 7000 rpm and now does it at 7000 8000 and 9000 rpm.   My dealer said the same thing and the bike is now being torn apart to see whats wrong with the bike... Has anyone else gone through this cause suzuki is blaming me for the prob and says its abuse on my part..  Im really ticked off cause i have never gotten the bike in the air or stunted the bike im a new rider and have no exper. to do that... I hope the bike is defected and suzuki will pay for it cause i really feel like im getting crapped on and it has also brought down my confidence in riding...

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
Re: Tranny problems on 07 Hayabusa
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »
it's a common problem for the busa's

Offline Noumenon

• Mad Post Whore
    • http://home.cfl.rr.com/redbusa/
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 07:20:30 PM »
a very common problem, i would have thought it would have been sorted out long before the 2007's. I have pics at my site below. :(

Do a search on this site with 'gear fork' and you will get lots of insight on the problem.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 07:24:26 PM by Noumenon »
Home Page (aka RedBusa)

Offline YAG

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 08:05:38 PM »
Don't limp foot your shifts... all it takes is a few bad shifts for a problem like this to start.
Intercooled MCXpress 58/12 twin entry power

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:55:55 PM »
1st and 2nd aren't undercut.  Why?  Who knows.  There is no good reason.  My second gear went out at 1800 miles, and 800 of that was per the recommended break-in procedure.  Some people, including Suzuki, will blame you and me but funny how no other bike has given me this problem.  I had mine undercut when it got fixed and after hundreds of 1/4 mile runs with clutchless shifts it works great.  There are no adverse side effects that I can determine.  Ask Suzuki to explain why second isn't undercut.

Offline MY06LE

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 02:51:12 AM »
Do a search !! UPPER RIGHT HAND CORNER. There must be a lot of non shifting mofo's here, and on evry other Busa forum, including me !! Mine hasn't got that bad, YET.  Check out the topic on "BENT SHIFT FORKS".     Good luck
2006 LE...GREATEST THING TO EVER GRACE 2 WHEELS

Offline atticdog

• Post Master
  • RIP DaveO my friend
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 07:46:59 AM »
have you ever missed a shift to second gear?
then the bike redlines the rpms then you shift it into second gear again?

If this happends its very hard on the shift forks and can bend them and after ahwile it can casuse it to pop out of gear

if you miss second gear you should slow down to almost a stop then go back to 1st gear
01 Black/Silver,08 GSXR fork/wheels, Pyramid DB, Corbin seat, gsxr1K footpegs, spedo healer, PCIII USB, 6 over Trac arm and Boosted!!

Offline crazybill

• Mad Post Whore
    • www.PortTechHeads.com
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:08:26 AM »
suzuki trannys have sucked since before the busa's . They dont seem interested in rectifying the problem and wont stand behind thier product via warranty .
Pull it out and send it to R&D and be done with it... It'll work as well as a stock zx14 tranny then...
yes I said that....  :grn:
“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a builder who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

Offline BRACKET RAT

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »
I know stuuff can happen but I electric shifted mybike all year

right around redline it shows no problems.  :|

Offline busa4speed

• Restricted
  • Post Whore
  • Cincinnati, Zone 15
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 10:43:39 AM »
Try to think that now I have to fix my tranny but now you get to fix it with a good back cut one that you can race on or just rip up the streets with.

Offline Kojak

• Rider
    • http://www.hayabusa-service.com
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 11:14:46 AM »
samurai85gt :
 I got here a Busa 2006 with the same prob.It was by Suzuki - they took it apart ( I do not know what they did or replace ) last year, now the same Prob. by high Rpm`s the first gear pops out for a short time then goes back in. I took it apart yesturday --- well I do not see much damage................
I am realy thinking what I shall replace .....................

Offline samurai85gt

• New User!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 06:35:21 PM »
To all those who have replied and given me help info i now know that this isn't my fault and plan to fight to get my bike warrentied to get back out there and ride... Is there any suggestion as what i can do to prevent this in the future?  Thanks again guys and gals and ride safe

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 07:17:30 PM »
To prevent it you really need to backcut second gear.  Do first while you are in there since it isn't cut either.  (Don't ask me how I know this).  When I pulled it apart the second time after hundreds of 1/4 mile passes second looked great, actually better than the stock third gear.

Offline dailybusa

• New User!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »
My '06 Busa had the exact same problem at 8500 miles and I do not abuse it.  It is my daily commuter.  It was a bent shift fork that caused the second gear dogs to wear out, thus causing it to jump or slip.  Suzuki would not warranty it.  They said it was rider abuse.  WRONG!  Now at almost 19,000 miles it is doing it again.  Looks like the fix is to undercut second gear and install billet shift fork shafts vs. the stock ones. 

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »
My '06 Busa had the exact same problem at 8500 miles and I do not abuse it.  It is my daily commuter.  It was a bent shift fork that caused the second gear dogs to wear out, thus causing it to jump or slip.  Suzuki would not warranty it.  They said it was rider abuse.  WRONG!  Now at almost 19,000 miles it is doing it again.  Looks like the fix is to undercut second gear and install billet shift fork shafts vs. the stock ones. 

yep its a bummer our bikes do this to us, we just put ape shift shafts in kurts bike, i can get them for you if you need a set.

Greg
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 01:25:48 PM »
I never had a problem with the shafts but the forks suck.  I don't know why someone doesn't make some billet steel shift forks for these things.    When I rebuild mine in 04, I put new forks in it and an undercut tranny.  WHen I pulled the motor out back in January 08, the forks literally looked like brand new after 10k miles and at least 50-60 passes at the strip.  I actually left them in there this time.

I think under cutting the gears makes the biggest difference.  Less strain on the forks when the gears will actually line up and slide right in.
2000 turbo-busa, RCC Stg 2 intercooled, 319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@28lbs
Texas Mile March 09, 225.906 mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14lbs

2013 BMW S1000rr, Brocks CT exh, 185hp

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
  • Representing San Diego's back roads. Woot!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 03:35:15 PM »
31k miles of drag, canyon, and road racing and not a burp!

ONLY because....

I had to go through this shit with my first Busa. This time around, I reversed the shifting (1 up, 5 down, you just flip the bracket at the end of the shift rod), and threw a Factory Pro shift star in there. No missed shifts, ever.
Take off like a 13, flick it like a 6

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »
I never had a problem with the shafts but the forks suck.  I don't know why someone doesn't make some billet steel shift forks for these things.    When I rebuild mine in 04, I put new forks in it and an undercut tranny.  WHen I pulled the motor out back in January 08, the forks literally looked like brand new after 10k miles and at least 50-60 passes at the strip.  I actually left them in there this time.

I think under cutting the gears makes the biggest difference.  Less strain on the forks when the gears will actually line up and slide right in.

Billet isn't always better, but could be if there was space for more material.  Forged steel has a better grain structure so I'd always go that route with everything else equal.  I'm not sure how much more material will fit on that fork.