Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Clutch question.  (Read 7455 times)

Offline The Jedi

• Rider
Clutch question.
« on: November 30, 2002, 03:00:00 PM »
2000 TL1000R.

Clutch keeps sliping on me.

Everytime it slips I shut it down and pull the clutch cover off. and everytime you can wiggle the plates around cause the pressure plate is not touching the outside friction plate.

turns out the little teeth on the pressure plate are not meshing into the inner hub when it happens and you can not line it up either.

But as soon as you tae the cluch slave off of it, the plate pops right in.

I have added an extra driven plate to make the stack heigth a little better and some spacers behind the springs.

when it is not slipping it is one hell of a clutch, I love it.  But the slipping is getting on my last nerves!!!

I already drained all of the brake fluid from the system and fushed it out and replaced it with all new Dot $ brake fluid.

Any of you guys have any idea of what could be going wrong???

Thanks!!

THEMOTORHEAD

Clutch question.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2002, 03:30:00 PM »
SO I TAKE IT YOU MADE SURE YOUR STACK HEIGHT WAS CORRECT?

THEMOTORHEAD

Clutch question.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2002, 03:32:00 PM »
MAN YOU MAY HAVE THE FLUID OVERFILLED!!!
WON'T LET THE SLAVE CYLE RETURN
KINDA LIKE HOLDING THE LEVER SLIGHTLY

Offline The Jedi

• Rider
Clutch question.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2002, 03:51:00 PM »
The specs from Suzuki say the friction disks should be between .133-.127, Mine measured at .130.

When I put it together and everything is right, it is one solid clutch.  It may last for 5 days or just 1 day and then it is slipping again, and when ever it is slipping, the teeth in the pressure plate are not meshed up.

It's got me freaking baffled.  And the clutch fluid is right on the mark.

Does it make sense that maybe the Clutch Slave itself is hanging up and may need to be replaced/rebuilt??  Any other ideas I can look into??

Thanks again!!!

Offline A&J Performance

• Post Master
    • http://www.A-JPerformance.com
Clutch question.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 04:45:00 PM »
with the cover off , and while squeezing the clutch, can you actually see it disengaging? when you're  having the problem.

A&J

Offline A&J Performance

• Post Master
Clutch question.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 04:47:00 PM »
Sounds as if the screws that hold in the pressure plate are getting loose somehow and allowing those teeth on there to disengage also.

A&J

Offline The Jedi

• Rider
Clutch question.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2002, 04:56:00 PM »
I can definatly see it when I have the clutch cover off and use the clutch.

I had it in gear and rocked it back and forth a gazzilion times to see if it would slip.  no such luck. Then I pulled the lever in and let it out.  Did that I do not know how many times, and then it finally did it.  the pressure plate would not mesh back in again.  Just hit the inner hub and stayed ontop of it.

Thats when the slipping happens obviuosly, because the pressure plate can not press against the outer friction disk as hard as it should.

I am now wondering if maybe the dog gear on the inner hub nut may not be working properly and maybe cause the pressure plate to get off-set ever so slightly and that is causing the teeth to get out of alignment??

I always torque the pressure plate bolts to 8# as that is what is required.  I have never had one back off that I can feel yet, all have remained nice and snug.

Of course, they are being takin out quite often unfortunatly and not given a real change to work themselfs loose.

Offline blowerbike

• Post Master
Clutch question.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2002, 04:59:00 PM »
to many plates will cause that. think about how it works and how its made.....the prob is before the clutch pack, maybe in the slave area  

Offline A&J Performance

• Post Master
Clutch question.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2002, 05:06:00 PM »
it's pushing the pressure plate too far out. it's not supposed to go out that far.
Look for that problem.

A&J

Offline The Jedi

• Rider
Clutch question.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2002, 05:45:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by A&J Performance:
it's pushing the pressure plate too far out. it's not supposed to go out that far.
Look for that problem.

A&J

I agree 100%.  I think the pressure plate is being pushed out way to far myself too.  It seems the pressure plates teeth should always be meshed inside the inner hub.  but forsome reason, it is being oushed out too far now.

I have no idea why the plate would be pushed out that far.  I have the clutch lever on the #1 possistion where it has been since the bike was new.

Looks like I need to dig deeper into the bike.

Offline A&J Performance

• Post Master
Clutch question.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2002, 05:49:00 PM »
Measure stack height.
look at manual.
look at pusher.

A&J

Offline blowerbike

• Post Master
Clutch question.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2002, 05:51:00 PM »
could the hydraulic hose be going bad inside? i've seen this happen on cars/trucks alot. pushes in, but won't release all the way  

Offline blowerbike

• Post Master
Clutch question.
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2002, 05:52:00 PM »
joe, you know anyone from cherryhill nj.  

Offline A&J Performance

• Post Master
Clutch question.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2002, 05:58:00 PM »
Besides Neumannn? no!

A&J  

Offline blowerbike

• Post Master
Clutch question.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2002, 05:59:00 PM »
who is neuman  

Offline Freddies Here

• Rider
Clutch question.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2002, 07:13:00 PM »
Jedi, your fluid could be over filled like Dennis said. Most probably you have one of two other things going on in the master cylinder. There could be some dirt in the piston. Every now and then it would clog the pressure bleed off hole. This hole is about .014"-.016" in dia. If the pressure dosen't bleed off when you release the lever, the clutch won't engage all the way. The other thing is the piston in the master cylinder cocks, jams, or just doesn't return all the way. Here again, if the piston doesn't return, the pressure doesn't bleed off. Myself when I rebuild a master cylinder. I use Scotch Brite, with a die grinder to clean the passageway for the piston. I also use small number drills to clean the bleed hole.....FREDDIE      

Offline The Jedi

• Rider
Clutch question.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2002, 07:22:00 PM »
Excellent information Freddy!!!!!

I am all over that.

I have been suspecious of the clutch slaive all along thinking it may have gotten dirty and not returning all the way.  But the idea of the pressure bleeder like you said never occured to me as I knew nothing about it.

This whole problem started after I took the slaive off and the front sprocket cover off to clean all of the crap off of the push rod.  

I will look into all of that stuff tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Thanks a TON guys!!!

Offline Johnnycheese

• Mad Post Whore
Clutch question.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2002, 07:58:00 PM »
Jedi just bring it by tomorrow  
Official Site Tuner

Offline The Jedi

• Rider
Clutch question.
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2002, 08:02:00 PM »
Tomorrow is not an option Johhny.

However, I am trying like hell to sell this bike and want to make sure everything is perfect before I put it up for sale, even though I will probably only ask the pay off price.

If I can not get it working, which looks like that maybe the case, you will see it at your shop before next weekend.

I will call you later on nd let you know what the plans are.

Thanks Johhny!!!!