Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2008 BUSA, cant match the old 14. Video.  (Read 14556 times)

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
Re: 2008 BUSA, cant match the old 14. Video.
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2007, 03:39:06 PM »
The biggest difference between the Kawi and Zuk boil down to engine/trans frame and fairing. Because everything else are components that are made by other companies and just bolted on. Kawi never has put the type of effort into a bike in the past so its kinda hard to expect people to run out and buy one now.

From what I have seen of Kawi, the engine case materials have been less then expected for anything with horsepower. I have seen several examples of poor quality engines made by Kawi. Example: ZX11. Remember the #2 rod failures? There were so many failures that the aftermarket companies jumped on board to make different pans and pumps for them all the way into the ZX12 era.

How many years does it take Kawi to fix problems like this? Example: 650 V-twin ATV engines. These are about as poor quailty as it gets Kawi guys. They are used by Kawi and Arctic cat, and they rattle like the rods are out of them from the get go. The cases are thin and the acceptable tolerances are rediculous for runout on bearings and rod journals.

Kawi dirtbike engines are another example of throw-away crap. It would take me too long to write all the problems I have seen with them, without any assistance from Kawi. Its like "sorry guys you bought it you own it".

I work with this stuff all day. So you wonder why I rip on Kawi all the time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:44:01 PM by Falcon-A »
Follow the crowd and go no where.

Offline The Big Red One

• Rider
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2007, 04:30:31 PM »
The biggest difference between the Kawi and Zuk boil down to engine/trans frame and fairing. Because everything else are components that are made by other companies and just bolted on. Kawi never has put the type of effort into a bike in the past so its kinda hard to expect people to run out and buy one now.

From what I have seen of Kawi, the engine case materials have been less then expected for anything with horsepower. I have seen several examples of poor quality engines made by Kawi. Example: ZX11. Remember the #2 rod failures? There were so many failures that the aftermarket companies jumped on board to make different pans and pumps for them all the way into the ZX12 era.

How many years does it take Kawi to fix problems like this? Example: 650 V-twin ATV engines. These are about as poor quailty as it gets Kawi guys. They are used by Kawi and Arctic cat, and they rattle like the rods are out of them from the get go. The cases are thin and the acceptable tolerances are rediculous for runout on bearings and rod journals.

Kawi dirtbike engines are another example of throw-away crap. It would take me too long to write all the problems I have seen with them, without any assistance from Kawi. Its like "sorry guys you bought it you own it".

I work with this stuff all day. So you wonder why I rip on Kawi all the time.
Every manufacturer has problems with their machines at some point or another....thats just the price we pay for the bike makers pushing the envelope and trying new things. Its always best to buy a bike several years into production over a first year model. I wouldn't buy an early year busa because of the starter cracking cases/cam chain tensioner failure locking motors up/sub frames collapsing. And the GSXR-1100's and ZX-11's and yamaha's YZF 1000's all having 2nd gear issues. And of course honda's major probs with their V-4's and camshaft failures from improper lubrication...and their recent goldwing frame failure recall. I have an 04 busa and its as reliable and well built as a brick..every bug has been worked out and I trust it completely  :wink: My 14 is a first year machine and I trust it too but not as much as the busa. And the 14 isn't up to the same standards of quality as my busa. Its good..but not AS good quality wise as the busa. But they're both fun as hell  :D :D 

Offline crazybill

• Mad Post Whore
    • www.PortTechHeads.com
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
I never had a busa frame crack for no reason but ive got 3 zx14's here now with cracks in the frame all in the same place for no apparent reason . Called Kawasaki customer service/warranty dept. today and they basically told us to get fucked . 4 inch long crack in the frame where the motor mount/swingarm mount to the frame on 2 stock and one stretched 14... wow ! and apparently there are many more according to people on the 14 forums . Kawasaki fixed the issue on the 08 frame but wont recongnize it as an issue on the 06/07 frames . Way to go GREEN . All i have to say is NHTSA.COM .
Better check out YOUR frame Jamie... you may be on "crack" and dont even know it  :lol:

« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 04:50:05 PM by crazybill »
“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a builder who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

Offline Falcon-A

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Rowdy the Raccoon
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2007, 04:55:19 PM »
Its just piss-poor quality period. I sometimes have a problem with others that can't or won't see that. I don't wish problems on anyone, and only try to help people not have to learn the hard way. Kawi has never been a company that gives a shit about its customers after they buy something. Its always been that way.

If you like your Kawi then good for you, but I can't understand why you Kawi guys come to a Busa board to brag?? If your bike is so great then just enjoy it and leave well enough be. Or if you deep down know you bought an inferior product, then keep comming here until you feel better :thumb:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:04:41 PM by Falcon-A »
Follow the crowd and go no where.

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2007, 05:55:32 PM »
Ive ridden all the jap brands and I'd say Suzuki is a cut above  these days..
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline DangerMouse

• Rider
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2007, 06:55:48 PM »
Both are fast and everyone knows this is going to be a close race to see which is faster. 

That was not a race.  They didn't take corners at top speed, didn't try to hard to pass, and didn't start at the same line on the track.  Anyone watching that vid can see it was a laid back "test" to see how they did in cornering, braking and accelerating at a moderate pace.  All I can see is it isn't a massacre either way.  Yes, weight/skill of rider and all that matters, but neither one was hardcore racing.  BUT, if this were a comparo of a ZX14 or Busa vs a Honda 919 it would look A LOT different!  The real world (street and strip) and controlled magazine tests will tell the true winner. 

But no one in their right mind would call either bike slow or a complete "destroyer" of the other bike.  We are talking maybe a tenth or two either way.

Of course, that tenth or two is what will give bragging rights....

We'll see soon.

Yes they are both great machines - there's no such thing as a crap bike these days.
I'm the meatsafe murderer only I never done it.

Offline DangerMouse

• Rider
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2007, 07:01:58 PM »

Ahem, the Busa sub-frame cracking.

Three attempts to fix the tensioner, which totalled numerous engines?

Hardly a great record now is it?

Well I've got a 99 with the original subframe - no probs after 30K + hard miles including much two up work and track days - even if it did break it's hardly as dangerous as the actual frame snapping.

The tensioner was fixed in under 1 calender year and Suzuki will honour that regardless of service record. Are Kawasaki going to recall pre-2008 ZX14s to replace the dodgy frames? Even a tiny company like Triumph did so when the T595 had a fault with the frame.
I'm the meatsafe murderer only I never done it.

Offline COLDSTONE1300

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2007, 08:48:40 PM »
Kawasaki fixed the issue on the 08 frame but wont recongnize it as an issue on the 06/07 frames . Way to go GREEN .

We don't know if kawi's fixed anything yet. They are said to have made the frame lighter with die casting method. I'm no expert in welding or material engineering but if the older/heavier frames are showing issues, this new lighter one isn't inspiring confidence in me yet.

Offline EtrnlSoldier

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2007, 12:49:23 AM »
I've owned a 2000 ZX12 and have ridden the updated '03. I own a 2001 Busa and have ridden the "unrestricted" 2000. I've been around this and other boards for over 8 years now. I ride my Busa harder than more than half of you, so I might just know a thing or two....

having said that I can tell you that the level of denial and blindness has never been greater among Hayabusa fanatics. Tru that the Busa is one of the greatest bikes of all time. But so is the ZX12. The fact that the Busa was able to edge out the 12 time in and time out made the droves of Busa fans scream at the top of your lungs that the Busa was KING. Well, it was only MARGINALLY faster than the ZX12 and it really only came down to how big the riders balls were on any particular run. Then came the 14 and all the Busa owners ran off crying about how it was only MARGINALLY quicker than a Busa and it only depended on how expierienced the rider was or how much he weighed. Sound familiar? It should since it was the same argument the Busa owners heard from the ZX12 owners. Funny how a story can sound depending on which side of it you're standing, huh?

The bottom line here is that the video DOES prove something. It proves that the new Busa can't keep up with the 07 ZX14 on a big road course. And it's already been proven that teh new Busa gets beat at the strip by the 14.

So, go on and live in your denial. The ZX14 remains the KING.

(and I'm a MAJOR Busa fan, so go fuck yourselves with any comments)

page 4 bitches! :)

The video was silly and proved nothing.  Yes, I have a Hayabusa that's set up for road racing (thanks Kirk!).  One of my best friends has a ZX-14.  I really like the bike.  BUT, for supposedly having so much more horsepower, it really isn't any faster.  Than the "old" Busa.  And, to show a video of two guys riding heavy "sport tourers" around a road race track, and calling that proof of which one is superior in the turns???  Yea right.  When I can ride my Busa around a road race track and out turn most 1000's and 600's that I see, this really means nothing to me.  Point being, I could take a video of me squealing past GSXR1k's and ZX-10's at the track all day.  That doesn't mean that a Hayabusa will really outperform those bikes with equal riders on a road race track.  Just that I outrode the people who happened to be there at that moment.  Point in fact, here's me, on my Hayabusa, cutting off a supposedly "superior" R1 on the inside of turn 2 at the Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, after roosting past him on the outside of turn 1:

Does that picture PROVE that all Hayabusas are faster in the turns than all R1's?  I thought not.  Just as a video that shows a Hayabusa rider leaving the turns well below the bike's powerband and not getting around another equally proves nothing. 
"Straights are for fast bikes.  Turns are for fast riders."

Me.

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2007, 02:04:45 AM »
Sure seems like that new Busa pulled like a mother and acceleration didn't seem to taper off on the top end like the old Busa.  Another 20 HP makes a difference.
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

Offline Busa@11K

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Tuck @ Redline
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2007, 02:07:10 AM »

Three attempts to fix the tensioner...

It was only two attempts, and it was fixed forever with the 2nd attempt.  If you're gonna chat about Busas you better get the facts straight, which you seem to have a problem doing in all departments associated with the bike.  :lol:

I never had a busa frame crack for no reason but ive got 3 zx14's here now with cracks in the frame all in the same place for no apparent reason . Called Kawasaki customer service/warranty dept. today and they basically told us to get fucked .

That doesn't sound like a good track record either.  :o :lol:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:09:50 AM by Busa@11K »
PMDC Motor Theory ... Back EMF is the Key.

Offline larra

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2007, 02:09:59 AM »
I've owned a 2000 ZX12 and have ridden the updated '03. I own a 2001 Busa and have ridden the "unrestricted" 2000. I've been around this and other boards for over 8 years now. I ride my Busa harder than more than half of you, so I might just know a thing or two....

having said that I can tell you that the level of denial and blindness has never been greater among Hayabusa fanatics. Tru that the Busa is one of the greatest bikes of all time. But so is the ZX12. The fact that the Busa was able to edge out the 12 time in and time out made the droves of Busa fans scream at the top of your lungs that the Busa was KING. Well, it was only MARGINALLY faster than the ZX12 and it really only came down to how big the riders balls were on any particular run. Then came the 14 and all the Busa owners ran off crying about how it was only MARGINALLY quicker than a Busa and it only depended on how expierienced the rider was or how much he weighed. Sound familiar? It should since it was the same argument the Busa owners heard from the ZX12 owners. Funny how a story can sound depending on which side of it you're standing, huh?

The bottom line here is that the video DOES prove something. It proves that the new Busa can't keep up with the 07 ZX14 on a big road course. And it's already been proven that teh new Busa gets beat at the strip by the 14.

So, go on and live in your denial. The ZX14 remains the KING.

(and I'm a MAJOR Busa fan, so go fuck yourselves with any comments)

page 4 bitches! :)

the only real comparison as for the performance of these bikes that i have seen so far is in an italian bike magazine and 1/4 mile as well as top speed went to the busa, so maybe u should put down the crack pipe.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:12:39 AM by larra »

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2007, 07:07:17 AM »

The video was silly and proved nothing.  Yes, I have a Hayabusa that's set up for road racing (thanks Kirk!).  One of my best friends has a ZX-14.  I really like the bike.  BUT, for supposedly having so much more horsepower, it really isn't any faster.  Than the "old" Busa.  And, to show a video of two guys riding heavy "sport tourers" around a road race track, and calling that proof of which one is superior in the turns???  Yea right.  When I can ride my Busa around a road race track and out turn most 1000's and 600's that I see, this really means nothing to me.  Point being, I could take a video of me squealing past GSXR1k's and ZX-10's at the track all day.  That doesn't mean that a Hayabusa will really outperform those bikes with equal riders on a road race track.  Just that I outrode the people who happened to be there at that moment.  Point in fact, here's me, on my Hayabusa, cutting off a supposedly "superior" R1 on the inside of turn 2 at the Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch, after roosting past him on the outside of turn 1:

Does that picture PROVE that all Hayabusas are faster in the turns than all R1's?  I thought not.  Just as a video that shows a Hayabusa rider leaving the turns well below the bike's powerband and not getting around another equally proves nothing.   

+1 - I agree 100%

Offline JC PAINT WORKZ

• Post Whore
  • []D [] []\/[] []D
    • JC PAINT WORKZ
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »
they did that on purpose to make the 14 look faster.... the busa's got it... that busa rider sucked

Offline LongR1

• Post Whore
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2007, 05:34:21 PM »
tell ya.. we just got in our first new 08 ZX14... that ugly black/maroon flamed job...honestly.. i thought pics looked bad and bike would be okay.. but so far... i like pics better than bike.
04 Yamaha R1 60 in progressive nitrous
Rider 2000 SBS Velocity Racing Turbo

Offline 1300hemibusa

• Post Whore
    • http://hometown.aol.com/ply500cid/
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2007, 11:00:34 PM »
tell ya.. we just got in our first new 08 ZX14... that ugly black/maroon flamed job...honestly.. i thought pics looked bad and bike would be okay.. but so far... i like pics better than bike.
You are right that thing is pasted ugly ... So ugly my dealer didn't even order one that color ..He said he would never be able to sell that thing to a blind man ... :lol:  The silver one looks kick ass ...  :D

« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 11:07:03 PM by 1300hemibusa »
2012 ZX14R   Best ET 8.42  @  163.95
  Stock motor on 89 pump gas ..

Offline Headshot

• Post Master
    • http://n/a
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2007, 06:27:24 AM »
Both nice and capable bikes, it comes down the ridding, no way how you look at it on stock bikes.
"Two to the body one to the head"

Offline LongR1

• Post Whore
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2007, 08:51:28 AM »
You are right that thing is pasted ugly ... So ugly my dealer didn't even order one that color ..He said he would never be able to sell that thing to a blind man ... :lol:  The silver one looks kick ass ...  :D

boss said that about white 14 this last year.. well they sold out first... people for every bike.  i hope he didnt get more than 1-2 of these.... i think we also got the dark blue one in as well yesterday.  its not built yet, so i havent got good look at it.
04 Yamaha R1 60 in progressive nitrous
Rider 2000 SBS Velocity Racing Turbo

Offline oilheadron

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2007, 12:08:24 PM »
Sound familiar? It should since it was the same argument the Busa owners heard from the ZX12 owners.

Hmmm...not quite. What I heard over the years was screaming from almost ALL of the Kawpukes that the '12 was actually FASTER, and that ALL of the mags in the world were lying about the Busa being faster.

The '12 a great bike? Not exactly. A great running and riding bike, sure. But work on a bunch of these turds like we have (or '10s and '14s), and you'll throw rocks at them. That doesn't make a great bike, especially with the extremely limited ultimate performance available relative to the Busa. Now THAT'S a truly great bike.