Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: searching for next bike  (Read 4343 times)

Offline rdsii64

• New User!
searching for next bike
« on: March 05, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum. I am looking for my next bike and wanted to ask some questions. first my current ride is a '91 CBR1000F.  I am currently shopping for its replacement.

While in the performance arena it can't hold a candle to newer bikes it is one of the most comfortable bikes I have owned. My criteria for its replacement is:

a) be comfortable enough to ride all day.

b) handle well enough to carve the west coast canyons . If you know places like glendora mountain road, palomar mountain,  angles crest highway then you know what I am talking about.

C) strait line performance that will will rip your shoulders out of joint in stock trim. (ok  you cought me. I am going to do slip ons just for the ear candy)

Unless I want to search for another 10+ year old really heavy carberated machine I only have two choices, the 'Busa and the ZX14. Even though the ZX14 is said to be a bit more comfortable its to new to find a used one for what I am willing to pay.

My first question is this; relative to other sport bikes, how comfortable is a the 'Busa.  Bear in mind I am in my early 40's

My second question is that assuming proper care and it hasn't been abused how well does the 'Busa hold  up over the years. I'm that crazy guy that will be doing track days in his 50's

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
Re: searching for next bike
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 04:19:13 PM »
LOl just buy this one http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=124123.msg1160158#msg1160158

LOL make it short and own alll . Busa is a great bike all around you can ride all day and  not feel sore like the gsxer's and such.

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 04:35:51 PM »
what's your height weight? I rode my new gsxr1000 from NY to TN gas stops only 1000miles when i bought it. it was'nt too bad... but i am 24 5'10" 140lbs... I don't really remember my busa being any more or less comfortable than that...

I guess that probably doesn't really help you much though does it?
Originally Posted by T A WS6 M6 
The GTO's like a fine woman in a black dress at a fancy party. The WS6 is like the hot chick in the hiked up miniskirt at the nightclub. So what do you want? Refined, or nasty?

Offline Bruce Bohannon

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

<partial snip>
My first question is this; relative to other sport bikes, how comfortable is a the 'Busa. 

My second question is that assuming proper care and it hasn't been abused how well does the 'Busa hold  up over the years.

The Busa defined the Hyper Sports Category in which there are only four bikes 2 Kawi's, the busa and the blackbird.  I believe the busa has slightly less legroom and has a slightly more agressive rding position than the other three. 

To ME - I don't like sitting higher on a frame/ in the air, I like sitting lower.  I like the seat better than any stock seat I've used and with minimal tweaking I find it comfortable for all day. 

The Busa is overbuilt - with proper care it will easily last as long as your current bike.  (Folks turbo these things to several hundred RWHP with Stock rods!  It holds up just fine.)

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
  • Representing San Diego's back roads. Woot!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »
Busa's have to be one of the most stout, over built bikes out there. You can do *anything* to this bike. I tour on my bike, and do track days on it as well. Palomar Mtn, Sunrise Hwy, Banner, Montezuma Grade, Telegraph Canyon Rd, are all in my backyard of San Diego and I've been playing on those for over 15 years.

You have a LOT more performance, merchandise, options and help available for the Busa. You can make it anything you want. I myself have made it into a canyon racer/track day bike/tour bike/drag bike all in one, with very very minor mod adjustments for each (taking mirrors off, lowering the bike for drag racing, etc...)

The new 08 Busa is here. But even then, you can, as most all of us, build your bike to exactly what you want and be well more than happy with it for 10 plus years.
Take off like a 13, flick it like a 6

Offline rdsii64

• New User!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:19:40 PM »
Busa's have to be one of the most stout, over built bikes out there. You can do *anything* to this bike. I tour on my bike, and do track days on it as well. Palomar Mtn, Sunrise Hwy, Banner, Montezuma Grade, Telegraph Canyon Rd, are all in my backyard of San Diego and I've been playing on those for over 15 years.

You have a LOT more performance, merchandise, options and help available for the Busa. You can make it anything you want. I myself have made it into a canyon racer/track day bike/tour bike/drag bike all in one, with very very minor mod adjustments for each (taking mirrors off, lowering the bike for drag racing, etc...)

The new 08 Busa is here. But even then, you can, as most all of us, build your bike to exactly what you want and be well more than happy with it for 10 plus years.
with the exception of a pair of slip ons or ear candy, I will be keeping what ever I decide to buy stock. What I love about both the 'Busa and the zx14
is that assuming you have the skill, they are high 9 second machines in a strait line right of the floor. I am leaning really hard toward the 'Busa over the zx14 for money reasons. The Kawa has a bit more leg room but its to new for my wallet right now. Anyway I am looking forward to doing more that talking about getting my next ride.

Offline Slim

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 12:37:39 AM »

with the exception of a pair of slip ons or ear candy, I will be keeping what ever I decide to buy stock. What I love about both the 'Busa and the zx14
is that assuming you have the skill, they are high 9 second machines in a strait line right of the floor. I am leaning really hard toward the 'Busa over the zx14 for money reasons. The Kawa has a bit more leg room but its to new for my wallet right now. Anyway I am looking forward to doing more that talking about getting my next ride.

Stock "out of the box" a 1000 will drag a busa and a 14.  If you plan on doing engine work and other serious mods I would go with a busa.  Millions of upgrades for the first generation buse since it was not redesigned from 99 - 07 (nine years of R and D for the after market guys).

If all you are going to do is through a slip on then go with a 1000.

Offline rdsii64

• New User!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 07:20:58 PM »
unless I get a machine as old as the one I am riding now,a 1000 is going not going to meet my comfort requirements. that is what I love most about the "busa its as comfortable as what I am riding now and it will rip out you arms at the shoulders in a strait line.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:26:25 PM »
Get the Busa,no question.I'm 54,6'2",220+ and have been on one for the past 6 years,wouldn't have anything else(especially since i just added a turbo :lol:). :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline BrianK

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 09:42:52 PM »
Get the Busa,no question.I'm 54,6'2",220+ and have been on one for the past 6 years,wouldn't have anything else(especially since i just added a turbo :lol:). :thumb:

come on, you posted that pic of yourself. how long have you been claiming 54? 12yrs? :crzy:

07 RCC STAGE1  STAGE 2

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 11:11:52 PM »

come on, you posted that pic of yourself. how long have you been claiming 54? 12yrs? :crzy:

...that's the story i'm sticking to. :lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline jimmygsxr

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 08:38:41 AM »
 :lol:
05 blue/silver gen3 pc3r air shifter nos lowered 4" over arm RPM lock up

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 08:49:41 AM »
:lol:

No respect for their elders on this board Jimmy...goddamn Brian. :lol:

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 09:41:51 AM »
i never thought my busa was really all that comfortable...
The GTO's like a fine woman in a black dress at a fancy party. The WS6 is like the hot chick in the hiked up miniskirt at the nightclub. So what do you want? Refined, or nasty?

Offline rdsii64

• New User!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »
The comfort factor is relative. What I was referring to was its comfort level when compared to other sport bikes.

Offline squirts1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 03:21:13 PM »
The comfort factor is relative. What I was referring to was its comfort level when compared to other sport bikes.

yeah, i am comparing it to my gsxr1000... i don't think the busa is really all that comfortable. i've ridden my busa 6-700 miles straight through and i've ridden the gsxr1000 1000 miles straight through.

Offline ltbusa

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 01:05:33 AM »
I test rode the Busa and the 14 back to back at the dealer(lucky to have a local dealer that carries both). Parked the demo Busa, walked into the shop and bought it. Haven't had a complaint yet. The 14 is a great bike but the Busa just felt perfect.
I'm a fof (fat old fart) and have found it very comfortable. My dad (72) borrows it to cruise when I'm out of town and loves it. Admittedly it's nowhere near as comfortable as his Goldwing was but it's a lot more fun. Whichever one you decide to buy you're gonna have a fun ride
07 Busa-Still mostly stock BUT not for long
73 Sportster (Dead and leaving soon)
75 Sportster Too much to list but on the road soon

Offline svilla

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 01:42:16 AM »
a) be comfortable enough to ride all day.

b) handle well enough to carve the west coast canyons . If you know places like glendora mountain road, palomar mountain,  angles crest highway then you know what I am talking about.

C) strait line performance that will will rip your shoulders out of joint in stock trim. (ok  you cought me. I am going to do slip ons just for the ear candy)

Stock, might want to look at some of the BMW K bikes. Don't get me wrong I love the Bus, But I would not call it comfortable. As far as strait line and cayon carving with a good rider I think the newer 1000's got it.

If you want to thow some parts at her then the Bus will serve you fine. I would buy a 99-04 and add small air box mod, pair delete, full exhaust, Dyno tune, re-worked suspension (forks, valves, rear spring, and plus 1in dog bones), good tires, braided brake lines + pads, and a 43 tooth sprocket. All to the tune of $7500. That is what I think you would need to do to meet your requirments.