Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: checking steering damper  (Read 4269 times)

Offline bobu

• Rider
checking steering damper
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:04:56 AM »
I plan to go to Texas or Maxton this year and would like to check my steering damper for a precaution, have had no probs on busa however I wrecked a tank slapping zx11 several years ago, I think my forks were bad from dropping wheelies too hard. I hit a pothole while gazing at a bent over redhead. So I cant blame the Kow, it was a good bike. But I would like to know how to check steering dampers.

Thanks

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
Re: checking steering damper
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 06:59:59 PM »
I did mine about 4 years or more ago and at that time there were lots of threads with pictures on how to do it.  You can put the front end up so the forks are free and rotate the bars and see if there is any resistance. The stock fluid is very light, probably fish oil 5 or 10 wt. Mine had no resistance at all. I had  some problem with wobbles going over cracks in the highway at wot so decided to change the oil in the damper. Mine was not leaking at all so I took it off and when pushing the plunger in and out could feel "skips" in the action, felt rough, like air in the fluid. It was awhile ago so my memory is not real clear, but I took the plug out (I think there was only one) and worked all the oil out. It was thin and had air in it. Then I used straight 40 wt to refill it. I put a couple quarts of oil in a pan and totally submerged the unit and worked it until it was full and no more air bubbles came out. After reinstall I put it on the stand and raised the front and felt just a small amount of resistance. It didn't make much difference but did stop the wobbles I noticed from getting just worse than just barely noticable. A lot of wobbles come from people being to rigid on the bars and not letting the bike self correct. Some members have put 90 wt in there and liked it with not too much slow speed resistance. I would put at least 60 in it if I had to do it over.
Mike 

Offline bobu

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:03:34 AM »
 Thanks Mike

I'll put 60 in the busa & 40 in the track bike, does that sound ok to you :?:

Offline mach1mike

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:11:21 PM »
Yeah....sounds ok to me.