Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Drag Boots  (Read 7316 times)

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
Drag Boots
« on: February 11, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »
What kind of boots you fellas using at the track? I was using a pair of SIDI roadrace boots, but they're pretty chewed up at this point and I need a new pair. Anyone using the Bates drag boots? I kinda like them.
Orient Express Top Street Bike 2011 Season Champ Englishtown NJ

Offline blk02ws6

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Drag Boots
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
i have had the sidi drag boots and the bates, and i love the bates. better fit better look, and more comfortable. the sliders are also metal so they dont wear out as fast as the plastic ones.

Offline Bently1

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 11:16:06 PM »
I'm going to check out the bates at the chicago motorcycle show next weekend and see what they are like. I've heard and read good things about them.
2008 Busa

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »
i have had the sidi drag boots and the bates, and i love the bates. better fit better look, and more comfortable. the sliders are also metal so they dont wear out as fast as the plastic ones.
So you prefer the Bates over the SIDI?

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 11:50:42 PM »
I'm going to check out the bates at the chicago motorcycle show next weekend and see what they are like. I've heard and read good things about them.
Post back up if you can what you think of the Bates boots. I really don't like buying footwear, or any gear for that matter without seeing it, but with this dragboot thing I really don't have a choice. The Bates look like they'd hold up better for people that drag their feet too much. Kinda like I do.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:55:45 PM by genarr3 »

Offline blk02ws6

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:30:37 AM »
i definitely like the bates better.  i drag my feet really bad. i put holes in sidi road race boots. bought sidi drag bookts and the toe sliders are too slippery because they're plastic, so when im staging, i cant push myself into the second bulb because my toes slip. the bates have metal sliders and i can still toe myself in. i go through one set of sliders a year with the bates.

Offline Dan.J

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 04:57:20 AM »
I bought the Joe Rocket "pro street" boots last year and they are pretty nice for the money, really I like them alot, light and pretty comfortable, make for a good street boot as well. Im sure they are no Bates or Sidi but they are also only like 125.00 if I remember correctly :thumb:

06 Busa......8 second street bike.(Sold but missed)

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 05:53:19 AM »
I bought the Joe Rocket "pro street" boots last year and they are pretty nice for the money, really I like them alot, light and pretty comfortable, make for a good street boot as well. Im sure they are no Bates or Sidi but they are also only like 125.00 if I remember correctly :thumb:
Thing I don't like about the Joe Rocket boots is they only go up to the ankle. After wearing road race boots all these years I'd feel really unprotected wearing them. I'm scared for my shins. Funny thing is I'd riide on the street with them no problem, where I'm far more likely to crash.

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 06:00:38 AM »
i definitely like the bates better.  i drag my feet really bad. i put holes in sidi road race boots. bought sidi drag bookts and the toe sliders are too slippery because they're plastic, so when im staging, i cant push myself into the second bulb because my toes slip. the bates have metal sliders and i can still toe myself in. i go through one set of sliders a year with the bates.
Yeah I put holes in my SIDI road race boots as well. I then made steel sliders to cover the holes. That worked only "ok". Problem is the SIDI boots have nothing hard to screw into. The Bates look like they have hard soles.
I'm pretty set on the Bates at this point.
Thanks for the help.

Offline BIGBUSA33

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 06:55:27 AM »
bates all the way ive had mine for 5 years and love them

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 07:15:23 AM »
I have bates. They run big so you may need to go down a size.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline blk02ws6

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »
ya true on size. i have to wear an extra pair of thick socks to fit snug.

Offline R1 LE#18

• Rider
  • If you don't Ride it Sell it!!!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »
A friend of mine just bought Bates.. They are very nice boots... :thumb: They will be my next pair! :D
Ride, like it is your last day on Earth!

Offline Ludicrous Speed

• Post Master
  • Southern IL
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 12:08:13 PM »
You guys know they make ceramic sliders for the SIDI's??

I wore my plastic ones out in about 4 races, but the ceramic ones lasted me all season and are still good
2009 White/Blue Hayabusa
2004 Busa-Black and Purple  TOTALLED BY INATTENTIVE TEEN DRIVER!
67 Camaro (big tire bracket car)
89 Mustang GT vert

Offline Ludicrous Speed

• Post Master
  • Southern IL
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:12:50 PM »
BTW, love my SIDI's and wear them every time I ride, even on the street
2009 White/Blue Hayabusa
2004 Busa-Black and Purple  TOTALLED BY INATTENTIVE TEEN DRIVER!
67 Camaro (big tire bracket car)
89 Mustang GT vert

Offline Bently1

• Post Master
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »
Post back up if you can what you think of the Bates boots. I really don't like buying footwear, or any gear for that matter without seeing it, but with this dragboot thing I really don't have a choice. The Bates look like they'd hold up better for people that drag their feet too much. Kinda like I do.

Well Bates was nice enough to bring 4 pairs of boots to the chicago show for us to check out and we left with 3 pairs and one pair being shipped to my other buddy. they are hands down IMO the best boot I have seen. I looked at the sidis at the show as well but imo they are throw away boots as they are glued together instead of being sewn together. and all the other boots are not much cheaper as well. and bates can always be sent back in for a re sole or what ever else they need. a stranger came up to us at the show while we looking at them and said he has had his since 84 and he rides 15,000 miles a year on average and he said he wears them every where and they had been re soled 2 times. I take a 13 to 14 in most shoes and in the bates I took a 13.
2008 Busa

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 03:52:20 PM »

Well Bates was nice enough to bring 4 pairs of boots to the chicago show for us to check out and we left with 3 pairs and one pair being shipped to my other buddy. they are hands down IMO the best boot I have seen. I looked at the sidis at the show as well but imo they are throw away boots as they are glued together instead of being sewn together. and all the other boots are not much cheaper as well. and bates can always be sent back in for a re sole or what ever else they need. a stranger came up to us at the show while we looking at them and said he has had his since 84 and he rides 15,000 miles a year on average and he said he wears them every where and they had been re soled 2 times. I take a 13 to 14 in most shoes and in the bates I took a 13.
Thanks for the update. I'm going to be getting the Bates.

Offline busadon71

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »
I have both also I drag my feet on my street bike so I use my bates and have worn down my metel skids then flipped them over and worn them down also but they last longer than the plastic, I wear my sidi on my bar bike cause I don't drag my feet I like them both

Just one thing about the bates and I think they tell you when you buy them if you measure your feet and they don't fit good you have to pay to get them fixed, if they measure and they don't fit they take care of it
S.B. Racing of Bossier
Local racing parts supplier

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:47 PM »
I have both also I drag my feet on my street bike so I use my bates and have worn down my metel skids then flipped them over and worn them down also but they last longer than the plastic, I wear my sidi on my bar bike cause I don't drag my feet I like them both

Just one thing about the bates and I think they tell you when you buy them if you measure your feet and they don't fit good you have to pay to get them fixed, if they measure and they don't fit they take care of it
Thanks for the info. So you're saying if I order the wrong size boots I can't exchange them?

Offline Bently1

• Post Master
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 06:05:03 AM »
No what I think he is saying is they will custom make the boots for your foot if you send them measurements, but if you send them your measurements and they come and don't fit it cost something to have them re done. I fit in a off the shelf 13 just fine and did not need to have mine custom made. if you order a off the shelf size I'm sure you can send them back for a different size.
2008 Busa

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 07:56:45 PM »
No what I think he is saying is they will custom make the boots for your foot if you send them measurements, but if you send them your measurements and they come and don't fit it cost something to have them re done. I fit in a off the shelf 13 just fine and did not need to have mine custom made. if you order a off the shelf size I'm sure you can send them back for a different size.
Ok that's cool, I only need off the shelf boots.

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »
I asked.  You can send an off the shelf boot back for a different size.  Obviously it needs to look new when it goes back.  This is the deal I've got going with them.  I think a 10 will work but maybe I have to send it back for a 10-1/2