Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 08 launch tips  (Read 2128 times)

Offline scarface0808

• New User!
08 launch tips
« on: May 10, 2008, 11:00:54 PM »
i've got a 2008 with brocks alien head pcIII power commander and lowered 2 inches. my question is what is the best RPM range to launch the bike at the track without doing a wheelie off the line. First time down the track and launching still a little nervous any tips would help

Offline FJman

• Rider
Re: 08 launch tips
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 05:42:10 AM »
Idle.

It's gonna be quite awhile before you're comfortable really leaving hard.  That's okay!  Just take your time and work it up, what a pro launches at and what someone else launches at has a couple variables...

Body postion
Throttle position
Body weight/distrubution (height, and such)
Traction
Experience

Just remember, the goal is to get the gas open to WOT as soon as you can.  Lean forwards, get your weight towards the front wheel, and gas it like you mean it.  It's easier to give it lots of gas at a fairly low rpm, despite what you may hear guys bullshitting around about.

Remember that Rickey G was launching Brock's ZX14 at like 2krpm.....

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:23:02 AM »
Idle.

It's gonna be quite awhile before you're comfortable really leaving hard.  That's okay!  Just take your time and work it up, what a pro launches at and what someone else launches at has a couple variables...

Body postion
Throttle position
Body weight/distrubution (height, and such)
Traction
Experience

Just remember, the goal is to get the gas open to WOT as soon as you can.  Lean forwards, get your weight towards the front wheel, and gas it like you mean it.  It's easier to give it lots of gas at a fairly low rpm, despite what you may hear guys bullshitting around about.

Remember that Rickey G was launching Brock's ZX14 at like 2krpm.....

I dion't believe that anybody fast actually leaves at 2000 rpm.  That may be the rpm RG is at when the clutch STARTS to come out, but there is no way that the clutch is fully out and the engine is at 2000 rpms.  There simply isn't enough grunt at that rpm for a quick launch.  What really happens is the rpm's come up as the clutch is coming out.  I start my launch at 5000 rpm's because it is easier to recover the rpms if I let the clutch out a touch too quickly.  That's not the only way, just my way.

My tip is remember the clutch has a very small "slip zone".  Figure out how big this area is and learn to work it with the throttle. 

Offline E-RACER

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:36:19 PM »
What works for some doesnt for others!!

I would say rev between 5-6k and start letting the clutch out..also heard not to many people are getting wot in first gear on the 08s due to tq ect,so get as far as you can and then shift!!!

get a front strap and practice!!

Offline OMEGA

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:38:12 PM »
My 08 is still stock(stock height also) and I only have about 12passes under my belt.
3000rpm seems to be the sweet spot for me right now.
  By the way it not wheelies of the line it also wheelies when I shift into 2nd,so keep your foot over the rear brake to tame the low end torque.(it works for me,until I find a better method)