Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Sprocket Difference  (Read 7135 times)

Offline buboo88

• Rider
Sprocket Difference
« on: March 30, 2008, 04:55:14 PM »
Hey guys need to change my chain and sprockets. My question is what is the difference of the size of sprockets. What happens if I change the rear sprocket to more teeth? Is there different size front sprockets? Normally when I ride I'm a cruiser no stunts. I like to stay in low gears. Thanks guys for any info?

Offline Blackcloud

• Post Whore
Re: Sprocket Difference
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:58:54 PM »
larger rear sprocket less top end larger front sprocket more top end assuming you have the power to go that high. If you do a search here their is a chart showing speed per gear with different gearing

Offline buboo88

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 05:17:21 PM »
So since I'm not a racer, I can go with a larger rear sprocket and keep my front the same size? I do not have to change the size of the chain if I did go with a larger rear sprocket.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
Larger rear sprocket will make the tire move forward, shortning the wheel base and makeing the bike turn better. Smaller front sproket makes the wheelbase longer.

I run 17/43 with a 180/55 and there is about 3/8-1/2 of a inche between the tire and the swing arm. I can also pull from 30 mph in 6th gear 2 up. Lowest I would go would be 17/42 for curves and 16/40 for drag raceing, I like keeping the larger front sprocket.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline buboo88

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 08:12:19 PM »
Okay so I'm sorry still alil confused I got a lot to learn. I just bought a set of shinkos 200 50 17 for the rear so if I did go bigger rear sprocket I'd have to make sure the tire wouldn't rub? Maybe I'll just keep the sprockets all original spec? Maybe in the next year or so I'd like to do an extension, so maybe I'll upgrade to bigger and better then :)

Offline Blackcloud

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:04:28 PM »
put a 16 up front  if you want a bit more off the line. If you like it and want more down low, start going up in back. You can probably get a 42 in back without chain change. I have a lightly used 16 I can send you $18 tyd. don't go less than 16 up front you will burn through chains with the 15/14/13 up front. most common max power is 16/42 for stock bike with stock chain. Any more than 42 and the chain will probably be to short
Phil
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:06:39 PM by Blackcloud »

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:25:15 PM »
180/55 is taller then the 200/50 so if you go 17/42 you will be fine, 17/43 works as well. If u want to drag race or better launches go with the 16/40 at first, you wont have to worry about the tire hitting with any of the suggested gearing. 16/40 is a good start, good amount of torque increase and little longer wheel base. Gears are cheap and easy way to up the acceleration, plus there easy to change and work with....
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline Scott123007

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 06:24:34 PM »
Quijinn, a 200/50 is actually a little taller than a 180/55, (1mm) so I guess it's splitting hairs as far as tire size.

On another note, this whole post concerns me. Buboo88, if you don't even know what different sprockets do, why are YOU trying to attempt to do this job? You can ask all the questions you want and get answers but that doesn't mean you're qualified to do the work. The chance of screwing something up can be a lot costlier than taking it to a dealer. Better yet, find someone you know that knows about this stuff, watch how its done, then attempt it yourself the next time. Years ago, when I was a wrench at a dealership, we had a shelf in the service area that had a sign under it that read "DO IT YOURSELF AND SAVE". You should have seen the shit on that shelf!
Scott

Offline buboo88

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »
Oh no Scott i'm not changing anything no experience in that, I just wanted to make sure I knew something before I went up to the bike shop. Didn't want to ask any dumb stupid questions in person. Its alil easier asking questions online haha.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Yah I guess it depends on who makes the tire's, the stock 190/50 is really a 198/50 so its just a matter seeing how it lays and allowing some room for expantion at 190 mph :)

Buboo88 if you got a buddy that can wrench have him show yah. Really its not hard and I belive everyone should be able to change there own tire and sprockets.

I showed my buddy how to do it, he did it so many times after that last year drag raceing he is faster then me now hahah  :?

Offline buboo88

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 07:03:33 PM »
I've always had some good luck messing around with mechanics, but on 2 wheels a little worried if I miss a bolt or so haha. I am seriously thinking about going to school to work on bikes.