Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Help me get my bike running!!!  (Read 5767 times)

Offline RodneyW

• Rider
Help me get my bike running!!!
« on: November 27, 2002, 10:05:00 PM »
I had to pull my motor out for a spun bearing. Had another stock motor that I had bought to build, so I decided to slap it in the bike.

Once I got the other motor on the bike and all hooked up, it would spin over SLOWLY and then backfire REAL loud  :71: I mean smoke started coming out of the ram air tubes.

I went through everything I knew to check and still no luck!!!

Unhooked the PC2 and hooked it back to the stock ECM.
Checked for fire on all 4 coils
Checked the cam timimg
Checked to make sure these guys put the stock cams back on the correct side
Looked down in the intake ports after turning over a few times and there was definitely gas vapors in the intake
Pulled spark plugs and they are wet (getting gas)
Double and triple checked all of the connections

I turned the motor over a few times by hand with the spark plugs in and there was not much back pressure (I do not have a compression testor). Definitely not as much as the motor I pulled out (another stock motor).Could a lack of compression cause a motor to not fire and then backfire???

Have any of you guys had this problem. Not sure if it's the motor or the ignition/FI on the bike.

I wanted to make it to the Rock this weekend, but it won't happen if this thing isn't running...

Offline FastGixx

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 10:17:00 PM »
You probably got a couple plug wires crossed.

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 10:20:00 PM »
WHAT YEARBIKE? WHAT YEAR MOTOR?

Offline RodneyW

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 11:01:00 PM »
Good question MH. 2000 model bike and not sure what model motor, how do I tell?

I was just reading the manual and the sensor on the crank seems to control FI and timing. I think this motor has a different model stator rotor b/c it has "2002 Rotor" written on the block and pointing to the stator cover.

Is there such a difference between differenct models that a pick up from one model will not work with a rotor of another model. If so , this could be part of the problem...

I may pull the rotor of my original motor and try it on this one...

Fastgixx, I have all of my wires numbered. They are not crossed. Even keep the same coil on the same cylinder every time. Thanks for the input though...

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 11:14:00 PM »
CHECHK THE ROTOR
IF IT HAS MORE NOTCHES(2X AS MANY)
ITS AN 02 MOTOR
AND YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE ROTOR

Offline RodneyW

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2002, 09:57:00 AM »
Okay, I put the 2000 model stator rotor on and it doesn't backfire now, but it still won't start.

I took the air box off and spun the motor and could see quite a bit of fuel mixture flying back out of the TBs??? This doesn't seem right???

I know I have spark and gas. Now it sounds like the timing is off. problem is that I checked the cams and everything was OK.

What can I try next???

Offline SJJBusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2002, 10:05:00 AM »
Rodney,

When you say that you checked the cams, did you make sure that the both the crank sprocket, as well as the starter clutch are installed properly on the crank? They both have marks, but can be placed in any position during installation. Another member had this same problem only a month or so ago. The starter clutch mark was lined up with the mark in the cover, but the cams were 180 degrees off because the starter clutch was installed incorrectly.

SJJBusa

Offline EZ

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2002, 10:45:00 AM »
if you are just looking at the cam index marks to check, they can look correct and still be off.
my bike did this, turned out that the cam moved during install. count the links on the cam chain
8.78@170

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2002, 11:17:00 PM »
It sounds like the cams are timed improperly. That would be another reason why your compression is lower. You need to examine the crankshaft cam sprocket and make certain the dot on the sprocket is aligned with the mark on the crankshaft. Don't use the little window for observing the TDC mark that's on the starter clutch because that could be correct while the crankshaft cam sprocket could be off by a tooth or by any amount for that matter.

Also, you need to count 15 roller pins on the cam chain starting from the ARROW next to the #2 on the exhaust cam and include that roller pin in your count to the ARROW next to the #3 on the intake cam, not the number 3. I'm just clarifying here, not implying it's incorrect.

THEMOTORHEAD

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2002, 11:23:00 PM »
now ya probably have to change the plugs(gas soaked)

Offline A&J Performance

• Post Master
    • http://www.A-JPerformance.com
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2002, 11:28:00 PM »
Yeah I believe, We've done this and the only difference is that Rotor. Otherwise everything else , I believe, is the same.

Joe
A&J Performance
908 289 2000
chkrdflg01@aol.com
"Go fast parts for go fast people"

Offline RodneyW

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2002, 08:44:00 PM »
Good point on checking the crank cam sprocket and starter gear alignment. I will go do that now...

Thanks...

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2002, 03:07:00 AM »
RodneyW, how ya makin out with getting your engine started?

Offline RodneyW

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2002, 09:55:00 AM »
Dwight, I never got that motor running. Checked everything I could. I got so mad, I slapped my other motor back together and went racing with it!!! I just polished up the crank a little and put another rod bearing in. I figured the crank will have to be reconditioned anyway, so what the heck. Ended up going 4 rounds in the street ET and then breaking out    9.38 on a 9.40 dial in.

My good motor fired right up as soon as I hit the button. So it must be something wrong with this spare motor I purchased.

I bought this motor from a guy in IL who bought it from another guy at Indy. I'm not sure if either of the guys knew it was screwed up, but I think I took it in the a$$ on this deal. Oh well, I have already parted the cylinder out of it to exchange for a 85MM kit.  

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2002, 02:26:00 PM »
Sorry to hear you didn't get it started. I wish I lived closer to you as I would have been more than happy to assist in getting it running or helping to locate the exact cause of it not starting. All is repairable...

Offline GsxrTony

• Rider
    • http://www.chicagolandlandsprotbikes.com
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2002, 02:34:00 PM »
I think if your buying a used motor from a guy who bought it from some other guy who you dont know. First order of buisness is to rebuild it from the ground up. Who knows whats been done to it or whos hands have been in it.
-Tony

2000 Busa
1999 Valkyrie interstate

Offline RodneyW

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2002, 03:15:00 PM »
Yeah, I was planning on tearing it down anyway. I think someone pulled it apart and then slapped it back together to sell. The head bolts weren't even torqued...  

Offline Dwight-PA

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2002, 03:20:00 PM »
Probably better in one sense that it didn't start up. Sounds like it may have run only long enough to get you stuck somewhere...