Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: How much does your Busa weigh?????  (Read 20598 times)

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
  • Another sunny day in LA
How much does your Busa weigh?????
« on: April 26, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »
Seems every cycle mag has a different weight for the Busa. Suzuki gives "dry weight" that seems a little on the light side.
I pulled out my bathroom scale and got 259lb front & 233lb rear totaling 492lbs with a full tank of gas. 03 w/alum sub frame, carrozeria wheels, waves f&r, 4-2-1 exhaust, 750 swingarm, 750 f fender, fiberglass undertail. Added weight rearset adapter plates (ebay) 750 rear hugger, pc3 & speedo healer (up 1 in the rear)
Faster is Better

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
Re: How much does your Busa weigh?????
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 12:21:32 AM »
Did you have to shim that 750 swingarm or did it just bolt right up?  What about the 750 fender?

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:19:51 PM »
It bolted up, but the shock area had to be hogged out and re-welded. Not an "off the shelf" swap.
Faster is Better

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:29:03 PM »
Sorry, missed the fender. Again not a straight forward swap. With a little patience and a dremmel you can make it work without changing your forks. After having this on for a couple years it's time I got another one and went ahead and modified my fork legs. I wasn't sure I'd like it.
Faster is Better

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
  • Representing San Diego's back roads. Woot!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »
Got mine down to, last and only time I weighed it, 472 lbs with 1/3 tank of gas. So that's right about where you are.

Then, I added the CF tank afterwards. With a full tank it won't make a difference as the CF carries 1/2 a gallon more fuel. But at 1/2 a tank, it weighs about 9 lbs less I think.

Key mods - BST wheels, Ti rotor bolts, Agras triple, alum sub, undersized battery (Yuasa 7S), custom exhaust (HMF-Akro Ti-CF hybrid), CF fender, Ohlins shock, rr wave rotor, and some other stuff that I can't think of.

I should try the bathroom scale, see what it says. I used to Nascar wheel-corner scales when I weighed my bike last.
Take off like a 13, flick it like a 6

Offline Blue

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:26:34 PM »
Those are seriously lightweight 'busas!   :clp:

I'll probably never justify (read that "afford", lol) lightweight wheels, so given my average mods, I'll be happy to get my '07 down to 515 with a 1/3 tank, lol.

Blue

Offline unit176

• Post Whore
  • Bigger is better!
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:51:59 PM »
with all my show mods and me on, probably close to a 1ton pick up.... :lol:

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 01:08:51 PM »
Just ordered what I hope to be justifiable weight!!! Fuel cell foam, a couple of ounces but it should help in the twistys. I notice I'm a lot more comfortable with a half tank especially going down hill. This should really help the weight transfer. Even with a half tank going down hill in the esses the +/- 16lbs has to add up to some real weight above 40mph.
Faster is Better

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 01:28:05 PM »
FYI, a gallon of premium gasoline weighs 6.350lbs per gallon @ 72deg. So with a third of a tank (+/- 2 gallons) I'm at 469.775lbs. All I need is a 2 gallon CF tank and 75mpg and I will be a happy camper.   :wink: I know :idea: :idea:, gut the headlight, keep the clear face and put a halogen behind it, thats gotta be 5lbs. My friends say I should get a GSXR 1000, needles to say my friends don't own Busas.
Faster is Better

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 02:19:36 PM »
Just ordered what I hope to be justifiable weight!!! Fuel cell foam, a couple of ounces but it should help in the twistys. I notice I'm a lot more comfortable with a half tank especially going down hill. This should really help the weight transfer. Even with a half tank going down hill in the esses the +/- 16lbs has to add up to some real weight above 40mph.

Is that the foam you put in your tank that prevents fuel sloshing around? Suppose to make your bike 'feel like it's lost 15 lbs'. I was thinking about it, but, it will prevent your gas gauge from working correctly.

Do you have a stock motor? If so, you may want to look at the Yuasa 7s battery. Half the weight, but it starts my Busa fine (and my buddies RC51).

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 02:33:38 PM »

Is that the foam you put in your tank that prevents fuel sloshing around? Suppose to make your bike 'feel like it's lost 15 lbs'. I was thinking about it, but, it will prevent your gas gauge from working correctly.

Do you have a stock motor? If so, you may want to look at the Yuasa 7s battery. Half the weight, but it starts my Busa fine (and my buddies RC51).
[/quote]

I didn't know about the gas gauge, it lets me know I need to empty the tank and insert from the bottom. I have an
03 with an internal fuel pump, hopefully I can (at least) get the last 1/4 tank to read. I will deffinitely go for the Yuasa, I still have the original battery...........Pretty much stock engine, nothing that would change the cranking force.
Thanks much for the foam info.
Faster is Better

Offline unit176

• Post Whore
  • Bigger is better!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 06:59:47 PM »
You could always go with all carbon bodywork and a set of light weight rims (carbon tech makes a nice set). 

Offline Endless1000

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 07:21:56 PM »
You could always go with all carbon bodywork and a set of light weight rims (carbon tech makes a nice set). 

or just get on a coke an water diet....haha
97'Civic DD 38mpg!!!
04'Gixxer1000 Long Low N Loud

Offline mercenary

• Restricted
  • Rider
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 12:31:59 AM »

Hi there may i know the voltage of the battery.Currently i am using a honda St1300 battery with 14 volt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 12:33:41 AM by mercenary »

Offline Blackcloud

• Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »
, 750 f fender
did that fender bolt rite in, or did you have to modd it?

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2008, 12:15:27 PM »
, 750 f fender
did that fender bolt rite in, or did you have to modd it?
Mucho modd, but if i had done work to the fork legs it would have been easier. I wasn't sure I'd like it. Upper attachment goes through fender so I got a plastic kinda cup 3/4", drilled a hole in it and it covered where the attachment went through. When I put the bolt in the cup it tightened against the fender. There is no lower bolt now. The caliper side needed to be re-drilled and set to height. The front legs of the fender were cut off just enough to not interfere with keeping the sliders out of harms way. Now that I know that I like it I will be modifying the fork legs and the process should be allot easier.
Faster is Better

Offline Blackcloud

• Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2008, 08:01:34 PM »
what year did you use?

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
03 but I'm not sure it would really matter that much. My next one will be newer. I need to look around this weekend at GSXRs
Faster is Better

Offline Texanzone

• Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 03:00:00 PM »
with a Brock sys 3 ,a cf drag seat and the low fuel lite on 503 ,have added some stuff scene then,going to look at trying get some off of it although

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 05:50:07 PM »

Hi there may i know the voltage of the battery.Currently i am using a honda St1300 battery with 14 volt

The Yuasa is a YTZ7X 12 Volt. The ST1300 has a 12 volt too, I believe, using the Yuasa YRZ14S battery. Both are 12 volts, just size is different. I use this battery on my stock-motored Busa. If I don't ride for a couple of weeks, I'll throw it on the tender. Otherwise, I'll crack open the throttle just a tad to allow more air into the motor (and thus, easier to start) and not strained the battery.

Other than that, I've had it for almost 2 years without a burp. And the battery is WAY lighter than a YTZ14S battery.

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »

Got the foam in, fairly easy operation. Put the pump in with 2 allens, hooked up the wires and with the key on tilted the tank to make sure gauge worked. I needed to do this a couple of times (cut, replace, cut, replace) to make sure the float cleared the foam. There are 2 overflow and vent tubes inside the tank that will keep the foam from shifting into the float.  I didn't do any front tank, which when turned on end holds about 1 gallon. I did do pretty much the entire rear less fuel pump clearance. None shows when removing the gas cap. The whole thing weighed about as much as a marshmellow so eliminating the gas shift for canyon riding really makes sense. Thanks again for the gas gauge heads up.  :thumb:
Faster is Better

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 04:40:11 PM »
Let us know how it feels when you hit the road.

Offline Isalsa

• Rider
    • My Stuff
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »
I'm like more weight. I have added stuff to my canyon runner. Camera system, xm radio, chatter box, radar, dual batteries, powder coated frame, chrome wheels and breakfast from the cafe' :D I still have a good time hanging with these guys  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-WrttRZ6Vc
Not just you average Busa
www.noahtunes.com/Busaview.html

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 08:15:05 AM »
Noah, you should borrow my bike one time. Just one time, going to breakfast. It may not have a camera systems/chatter box/radar/dvd/nav/butt massager/happy ending attachment to it, but, it is fun to throw down in the corners!  :P

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 08:23:10 AM »
lighter wheels, stock length, stock height (1in higher in the rear at the moment) and a  stage 1 turbo makes for a perfect curvy road bike.
its nice to stay i gear higher than normal and let boost pull you out of the curves.
 :thumb:
not sure what my bike weighs, but i know the turbo setup isnt light.

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 08:24:50 AM »
is the bathroom scale method accurite?
i may try that. im curious what my bike weighs...

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
My bathroom scale was 100% dead on. Weighed it at my machinist shop and got the same weight with same amount of fuel. I am now at 487lbs with a fairly full tank, I could have propably fit another half gallon with some patience. The Yoshimura X1 came in at 419lbs dry. Guess I need to figure out what the wet stuff weighs.
Faster is Better

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »
my bathroom scale is pretty good,  i use it to measure my nitrous bottles,  they won't register the bottle alone but i weigh myself and then myself with the bottle and i get pretty accurate readings  :lol:

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 07:30:21 PM »
Gallon of premium 6.5lbs x 5.5=         35.75lbs
Gallon of antifreeze 7lbs x 1.33=          9.31lbs
Quart of oil 4lbs x 3.5=                     14.00lbs
Clutch and Brake fluid +/-                      .25lbs
Total for dry weight calc. (I think)       59.31lbs
Suzuki claim (add 2bs for CA)             478.00lbs
Total stock (claimed)                        537.31lbs

Faster is Better

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
Don't forget the battery! According to a couple of websites, the Busa full wet is between 555-561 lbs with a full tank.

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2008, 07:17:47 PM »
I got a good day of canyons in yesterday with tank foam and dropping the front another 4mm (now @ 10mm).
The tank foam made a noticeable difference in tight esses. With +/- 3/4 tank it felt more like I was in reserve. When grabbing a handfull of brake just before going into a full (no chicken strip) lean I was really aware of how much easier my turn in was accomplished. I would reccomend this for anyone who only fills their tank half way when riding tight turns to make their bikes more flickable. I'm happier with a full tank and foam than I ever was with a half tank. That being said there's still nothing better than canyon riding with the reserve light goes on. The bad news.....my fuel gauge only registers the last 2 gallons. I thought I had the foam out of the way of the float but !@#$% up somewhere, I can live with it.
Dropping the front another 4mm deffinitely turns in quicker but I wouldn't reccomend it unless you're at the point of spinning up or drifting your rear tire. The bike is noticeably more nervous and prone to pushing the front end if your not accelerating or at least neutral through the apex. This also holds true for high speed sweepers. There is no discernable difference in passive riding.
I'm now at 487lbs with a full tank but need to put the left and right radiator deflectors back in. I was a little uncomfortable seeing the front of my fairing flexing in and out at high speed.
Faster is Better

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2008, 09:52:29 PM »
I've been thinking.

Maybe, I should drop the front. More because, I'm (we're) so light weight, the original geometry can't be right with the bike (relative to the ground). The bike probably thinks it's a chopper now with a long fork. In fact, I was reading an article in Roadracing World where Rossi was having a problem with the front tire locking up easily. They figured out, it was because there was not enough weight on the front, so they jacked up the rear 20 mm (!) and that solved the problem! Well, I can't do that, but what I can do is lower the front maybe 4 mm's or so to give it back some of the geometry it had. That, and my front tire seems to want to skid when I get close a stop, I'm thinking I'm getting a similar condition.

Think you're definately on to something Canyon Carver. For a stock full weight Busa, I would still not recommend dropping the front tho'.

Gotta get this bike to a shop to have them set it up.

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2008, 02:33:58 AM »
I've been thinking.

Maybe, I should drop the front. More because, I'm (we're) so light weight, the original geometry can't be right with the bike (relative to the ground). The bike probably thinks it's a chopper now with a long fork. In fact, I was reading an article in Roadracing World where Rossi was having a problem with the front tire locking up easily. They figured out, it was because there was not enough weight on the front, so they jacked up the rear 20 mm (!) and that solved the problem! Well, I can't do that, but what I can do is lower the front maybe 4 Mme's or so to give it back some of the geometry it had. That, and my front tire seems to want to skid when I get close a stop, I'm thinking I'm getting a similar condition.

Think you're definitely on to something Canyon Carver. For a stock full weight Busa, I would still not recommend dropping the front tho'.

Gotta get this bike to a shop to have them set it up.

Have you raised the rear? There's dogbones out there that will bring it up an even inch. If so just drop your front until they seat on the handle bar mount it will get you 4-5mm. After that (with the rear raised) you'll notice the nervousness I wrote about earlier. I'm on my 3rd set of Michelin 2ct's, good twisty tires and no breaking loose unless I ask them to (knock on wood).

My Busa's weight distribution is 254lbs front 233lbs rear 52.156% front 47.844% rear. I should have increased my rear weight ratio by taking 1-1/4" from the swingarm. I seem to remember reading that a Busa had neutral or a 50/50 weight distribution which helps it feel so stable at high speed. Maybe thats why I set my rearsets 1-1/4" back and up.
Faster is Better