Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Opinions on Tires - Standard vs. Busa Spec  (Read 22392 times)

Offline Skater

• New User!
Opinions on Tires - Standard vs. Busa Spec
« on: May 06, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
I am currently running Pirelli Corsa's on the bike right now. they are the correct sizes specified for the bike but they are not the Hayabusa spec Corsa that Pirelli sells. An email to Pirelli told me that there are differences in the sidewall and the "undertread"  but there was no mention of profile or construction changes. The  pirelli online spec sheet says that there is less tread depth on the busa spec tires and that the rear tire weighs a little less than the standard 190. I am assuming there are some construction changes if the weights are different. Actually the same goes for all standard tires vs. Busa spec tires that manufacturers sell.

Aside from about a $100 difference per set is there a major difference and should i be worried about it?

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
Re: Opinions on Tires - Standard vs. Busa Spec
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:09:09 PM »
 wondered this myself . Where did  you see 100 dollar difference?
Ill tell you this .Guys have been using  the non busa spec tires without problems.
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »
Replaced the original bridgstones with pilot powers, twice on the rear bike never handled better, going to try a pilot road2 on the next change to maybe keep from wearing the big flatspot in the middle  (no burnouts)
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline fasterbusa

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:24:17 PM »
I have also wondered about this problem.
I have been using Pilot Powers for a few seasons now and they seem to be working well.
And then there is that bit about a set of PP's being cheaper than the "Busa only" tires.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
I have also wondered about this problem.
I have been using Pilot Powers for a few seasons now and they seem to be working well.
And then there is that bit about a set of PP's being cheaper than the "Busa only" tires.
The original (Busa only) tires did not last as long as the PPs
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline fasterbusa

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 10:52:47 PM »
Yes, I found that to be true as well.
More than once, I did not get as many miles out of a rear tire as I would have liked too.
I seem to go 2 rears to 1 front. 

However, the PP's seem to do much better and the 2CT's seem to be doing better than the PP's.

I just feel more confidant in the turns with the 2CT's now.

Offline ATC'er

• Rider
  • Windsor, CT
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 07:38:16 AM »
I replaced the OEM tires a few months ago with the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's.  They're definitely an improvement in traction, but the bike feels "twitchier" at highway speeds than the OEM's.  By twitchier I mean the bike seems to move around slightly more in gusty wind conditions (or when riding behind trucks) and I can feel a very slight twitch in the handlebars when hitting bumps while leaned in turns (didn't get that with the OEM's).  I'm guessing it's the tire profile.  Still, I like them better than the Bridgestones.
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." (Albert Einstein)

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 08:33:40 AM »
I replaced the OEM tires a few months ago with the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's.  They're definitely an improvement in traction, but the bike feels "twitchier" at highway speeds than the OEM's.  By twitchier I mean the bike seems to move around slightly more in gusty wind conditions (or when riding behind trucks) and I can feel a very slight twitch in the handlebars when hitting bumps while leaned in turns (didn't get that with the OEM's).  I'm guessing it's the tire profile.  Still, I like them better than the Bridgestones.
Thats something I noticed too, must be Busa only tires have a bit heavier carcus? still you can push the PPs harder in turns

Offline canyon carver

• Rider
  • Another sunny day in LA
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »
On my 3rd set of 2ct no problems.
Faster is Better

Offline ATC'er

• Rider
  • Windsor, CT
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 05:39:59 PM »
Thats something I noticed too, must be Busa only tires have a bit heavier carcus? still you can push the PPs harder in turns

I guess it isn't just my imagination.  Found this web page where a Busa owner had the same observations as me regarding the OEM "busa-specific" tires vs. other "non-Busa" tires.  He states that the "non-Busa" Bridgestone BT56's felt nervous compared to the BT56 "J" spec. Maybe I'll give the Pirelli Diablo "busa-spec" tires a shot when I wear out the Corsa III's.

http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/tyres.htm
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:44:05 PM by ATC'er »

Offline MobileData

• New User!
  • Where am I?
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »
I do not run any Busa specific tires. I have put 25,000 miles on my 06 Busa in the mountains of North Georgia in super twisty conditions. I like the Pilot Powers but they wear out at the 3000 to 4000 mile range depending on number of trips to the mountains and road conditions.

I tried the Pilot Roads but found the profile difficult to really rail, meaning I could not get the bike to lean as much without really exaggerating my body position inside the turn. I never seamed to get the bike over far enough to get to the edge of the tire. Folks said I would get 10,000 miles out of the rear. I got a bit more than 5K.

I like the 2CT's and have been testing out the 190/55 as opposed to the 190/50. I like the fall in as well as the handling. The softer compound at the edges give me the grip and feel that I loved from the Pilot Powers and the harder center section gives me the durability of the Pilot Roads.

I like the Pilot Race 190/55 at the track (not drag) and have no idea what kind of mileage I get with them but I know I can get about 22 laps out of a set with 3 heat cycles.

--Mike

Offline ATC'er

• Rider
  • Windsor, CT
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 06:15:22 AM »
Well, I replaced my Pirellii Diablo Corsa III's with some Pirelli Diablo "P" spec tires that are supposed to be Hayabusa specific.  I put 500 miles on them so far and they seem to be just as good as the Corsa III's.  Nice thing is they're $100 cheaper.

Offline Scott123007

• Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 03:35:21 PM »
I'm pulling this outa my ass as I have no way to substantiate it, but my guess would be that the Busa specific tires have more to do with being safer and more stable at ultra high speeds, than cornering or mileage.

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »
I'm pulling this outa my ass as I have no way to substantiate it, but my guess would be that the Busa specific tires have more to do with being safer and more stable at ultra high speeds, than cornering or mileage.
probably right .
I think the busa specific tires  have 2 ply sidewalls . Probably equals more stability. Might be best for heavy bike.
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »
I have run the Pilot Powers for the last 6yrs on my 01,05 and now my 08,between all of them rackin up 60,000 miles of high speed sweepers and back road carving twisties,to me there is no other tire,especially if your aggressive layin the bike into the corners,they make your bike want to lean,the grip to wear ratio is aw some in my opinion,a huge improvement over the stock tires especially in colder temps,very quick warm up.I never noticed any twitching at high speeds,ran them when I went to Maxton,and I've had the 08 up to 193mph on gps,stone stable.If you haven't tried them yet you'll luv em,beat out the bridgestones for sure,good luck.

Offline Bob Wall

• New User!
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »
I wonder if anybody here has run 002 rs Stones on their Busa's, I bought them for my 09 R1 but I have sinse started using 211's on it. The 002's have got to be better than the 015's that came on my 08 Busa.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:36:48 PM by Bob Wall »

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 05:03:58 AM »
My friend tried the 002 stones and went back to the pilots

Offline rebby

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 01:36:04 AM »
Using 2 sets of M3s.Looking forward to the pirelli angel and the pirelli diablo rosso corsa.WOnder will the angel give me the confidence and grip while cornering at high speed :?:

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 04:43:01 AM »
You want confidence at any corner speed and outside temp than get the pilots,I ride really hard in the corners they are awsome!

Offline rebby

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »
You want confidence at any corner speed and outside temp than get the pilots,I ride really hard in the corners they are awsome!

pilot power,2ct,sport?Will it get slippery when wet?I wish to use it for touring too.Dont really mind the mileage.Since its a week end bike for me.I got another bike for transport.

Offline macon454

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
Had good luck with the Bt-016 so far
181.552 mph Texas mile on a B-King 3/28/09

Offline richiestires

• Restricted
  • Rider
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »
you should try the Michelin Power Pures

Offline kickinit48

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 07:15:13 AM »
i have used the pilot 2's, i have no complaints about them..lasted decent milege..I have the Q2's on the bike now..i ride in north alabama tennesse area mountains..i like the Q2's..prolly wont last as long,,but they have confidence in the corners

Offline Speedfreak391

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »
I have talked with my michilen tire guy a lot about this. The busa spec tires are a little harder than the non-busa spec compund, and they do have a stiffer sidewall for the weight of the hayabus. Pus the loads the this particular bike can put on a rear tire. Right after that I bought a set of race compound pilot powers from him and I have never looked back. If you want a sticky tire go with the race compounds, the won't last as long as a standard pilot power or 2ct, but there is definatly something to be said for having the confidence in your tires! The guys on the R6's at BIR will tell you that there is no way a busa can turn on the race track, until you pass em up the inside!  :hys:
Race Compounds Rule! :tu:
When is enough, enough?

Offline InlineR

• Rider
  • 2014 White Hot Denim V-Rod Muscle
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »
you should try the Michelin Power Pures
+1 im running pure's and loving them.
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
You don't need Hayabusa-specific tires for the Hayabusa. 

Everybody has their own favorite tire, so I'm not going to recommend one specific tire.

Race compound tires are useless on the street.  There's only a handful of people here that are even capable of getting enough heat into race compound tires for them to stick, and we don't generally ride on the street like that anyways.  Also, race compound tires are only good for a handfull of heat cycles before they get hard.  All you're doing is wasting money on tires that are going to wear out in a few hundred miles of street riding, and are going to offer less traction than a regular street tire at the temperatures that you're going to be riding them at.
-Kirk