Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Engine stuttering when hot - fuel pressure regulator??? PLLLEASE HELP ME!  (Read 5075 times)

Offline lensflare

• Apprentice Post Whore
Hi,

i have a problem i can't fix by myself...

every summer, a strange problem come back to nag me, when the weather is hot, and
i take a ride in the city, in the typiucal situation of low speed and high temperatures, the engine begins to have a strange behaviour:
at low rpm's, all is ok, but, if i want to drive hard and accellerate over 5000rpm the engine goes bad
and seems to have problems in revving fast.
expecially if i accellerate suddenly, opening full throttle, the engine stutters and stumble trying to
gain rpm's, it seems like someone has moved the rev limiter to 5000-6000 rpms.

i have noticed somewhat strange when this happens:

if i shut down the engine and turn again the key, when the check is going, the "zzzzzzz" sound of the fuel pump is
replaced by a STRANGE "BUBBLING" SOUND in the fuel tank, like someone is blowing in the tank with a straw...

i'm thinking that this problem could be caused by a faulty fuel pressure regulator, that, when hot,
become crazy and bypass the fuel in the tank.
in this scenario, at low RPM the fuel is enough, but when i accellerate hard, there is not enough fuel to keep engine running high.

naturally, in the cold days of the winter, this problem disappears completely.
it appears only in summer, when the weather is hot and particular road conditions (light stops, traffica etc.etc.)
make the engine compartment very HOT.

naturally, if i take the time, shut off the engine and wait for the engine to return cold,
when i start the engine, the problme disappears.... until next overheating...

anyone has experienced this kind of trouble?

are there some check i can do to fix it, or some indications from someone that has solved this problem?

thank you.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Possable regulator but sounds like some sort of vapor lock? or maybe the pump over heating? generaly vapor lock problems of years ago went away with fuel injection. if you want to try something get somr sort of insulating material and lay it over the airbox to help isolate the tank and pump from heat if it works could be your pump is iffy, if not still think its a hot fuel delivery problem, does you bike have the rubber peice on top of the motor?
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline lensflare

• Apprentice Post Whore
yes my bike has all stock...

i cannto exit from this tunnel... :(