Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: For anyone experienced on the k8's  (Read 14210 times)

Offline bouncer

• Rider
For anyone experienced on the k8's
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:58:57 PM »
I really want to know... What does it take to get a 2008 busa over 200mph? I've already installed the power programmer and the yoshi r-77 exhaust. I haven't attepted it yet but it's deffinately a goal I'm going to reach. I've only just finished the breakin "done properly  :shock: taking every bit of restraint I have" and I now have 1400 miles and already had it's first servicing. I know that there's some sort of limiter or governor? I've been told 187 mph? I've got many other projects going and hope to finish my house before the baby arrives in november so a 5-8k turbo isn't an option yet lol maybe next year. But seriously, I'd like to know what it would take?

Offline TurboGPZ

• Rider
Re: For anyone experienced on the k8's
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:42:42 PM »
Ohhh a Turbo or 2000ft Cliff.... :lol:

Offline Andrew71787

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:42:24 PM »
go talk to Boost by Smith, he has a GPS mod that takes that limiter out, by making the bike think its in 5th gear.  I forget what store it is thats carrying them,

Offline VegasDude

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
Look at Brock Davidsons web site. He ran over 200 at Maxton
2008 Busa
2007 Ducati 999S
2006 BMW K1200S

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
The GPS mod is actually the way to go.  Unlike the TRE which makes all gears read 5th, it only changes 6th gear to 5th.  So your gear indicator still works normal 1-5 until 6th unlike the others...

This is his site you can order from: http://www.boostbysmith.com/pb/wp_85c6ad96/wp_85c6ad96.html?0.9914952352074156
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline busa200

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:58:46 AM »
better yet, talk to daveO. he will modify you ecm.
                         charlie
259.85 m.p.h. at Maxton, built and tuned by DaveO

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 09:25:53 PM »
I don't think the ECU mod Dave O does will remove the top speed governor.  I thought he said it was only good for extending the RPM limiter but not the gear restriction in 6th... :(
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline bigmike32172

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:55:13 AM »
I've heard from Smithers if you have a PC3 on there to use a speedo cheater box instead of a TRE.

Offline mrchue

• Rider
  • Skinnned again!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 07:16:16 AM »
Where would you run that bike to reach that speed??

All the modifications that you can get on a bike really don't mean much if you don't have the time and the place to run a bike that fast and that long.

I talk to them (DAVE and LEE) and for the most part that bike was stock.. But who really knows what was done to that bike.  That is a tune up unlike what you and I would get on that bike as in general public.

And to think they rode the bike with there helmet facing the tank as they road.. You can't do that on and average road.

What mods do you have on your bike at this point??  how fast have you gone so far?

I hope this convo was open to all readers.

7 CITY RYDERZ MC 
WE RIDE HARD OR WE DON'T RIDE AT ALL!!!

Offline busa200

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »
Where would you run that bike to reach that speed??

All the modifications that you can get on a bike really don't mean much if you don't have the time and the place to run a bike that fast and that long.

I talk to them (DAVE and LEE) and for the most part that bike was stock.. But who really knows what was done to that bike.  That is a tune up unlike what you and I would get on that bike as in general public.

And to think they rode the bike with there helmet facing the tank as they road.. You can't do that on and average road.

What mods do you have on your bike at this point??  how fast have you gone so far?

I hope this convo was open to all readers.

apparently you dont do much riding. i travel all over the u.s, and i have never found it a problem to find a place to bust 200. why would you think that the normal person wouldnt get the same tune on their bike as that bike got?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:56:49 PM by busa200 »

Offline busa200

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »
I don't think the ECU mod Dave O does will remove the top speed governor.  I thought he said it was only good for extending the RPM limiter but not the gear restriction in 6th... :(
i dont know if he is doing the '08 yet but it does remove the restrictor on the rest of em.

Offline bouncer

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 04:54:10 PM »
I just travel on us roads and don't really know of a track long enough for such speeds near here. As far as modifications goes I've only got the yoshi r-77 slip ons and a power commander. I haven't had this bike over 160mph yet but just from feel I know it's waaaay more stable than liter bikes in the past lol. My question was just what mods would I need to complete in order break that 200 mark  :thumb:

Offline badassblackbusa

• Post Master
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »
cams or headwork or spray or any combination of the 3. or a good tune with good exhaust and a really light rider and a tailwind.
and to saint peter i will tell another solider reporting sir ive served my time in hell..

Offline bigmike32172

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »
When I picked up my bike in Cali a couple of weeks ago I took the I-10 back to Phoenix where you have 300 miles of straight highway with very little traffic and just the typical spiteful truckers that see you coming up quick and decide to pull in front of you and take their sweet ass time passing another 18 wheeler. I did get to max out the speed on the 08 Busa a few times on the way back safely, but I wish there wasn't a limiter on it so I could have seen what she really had in her.

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 12:46:38 AM »
i dont know if he is doing the '08 yet but it does remove the restrictor on the rest of em.

Really...did he figure this out recently...?  It's been over a year since I talked to him about it.  If this works on the '08, I'm really going to wish I would of sent him my ECU now... :(

Offline rotts4u

• Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 08:44:41 PM »
how tall are you and what do you weigh? That will have a HUGE effect on the hp required to reach 200.

Offline bouncer

• Rider
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 09:22:24 PM »
I'm 6'-5" and weigh 290 pounds... not really a small guy  :(

Offline rotts4u

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
I hate to be the one to tell you but at 6-5 and 290 it is going to take you a LOT more poer to go an honest 200mph. The Brock Performance bike you see talked about here was using a professional jockey that is about 5-6 and 140lbs. Brock himself who is maybe 180lbs could not even go as fast as the jockey did. So aerodynamic profile makes a huge dirrerence. I have been land speed racing motorcycles for only the last 6 years but every winter I start dieting to get down to about 170lbs from my normal 190ish I tend to weigh and I am 5-10. My guess is for you to go an honest 200 on that bike it may take you 50-70hp MORE than it took Lee Shierts to do it on the Brocks bike above.

I you only want your bike to go 200 with a jockey that is another question entirely and that is pretty simple. Pipe, race gas, GREAT setup, GPS or TRE mod, gearing etc will get you REAL close and on a good day get you 200, but not at 6-5 tall. You will need a stage one turbo, full engine build, or a huge shot of a wet nitrous kit. Once you get above about 150-160mph aerodynamics become everything. If you wanted to go 200 in a standing mile like we do at Maxton then weight also plays a factor because of the fixed distance, but you dont seem to mind taking 2 miles to reach 200.

Good luck and be safe.

Offline bouncer

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 03:18:27 PM »
I'd have to say I'm going to start saving for the turbo then... Don't really care for nitrous. Motor build would be interesting, but there are no real experienced shops here in Maine that I'm aware of. I'm a carpenter so I only really know enough to get myself in trouble! BUT, I'm deff going to be the one going 200 and not a jockey  :wink: either way I still love the bike and don't think I'll ever settle for less

Offline soNso

• Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 03:44:31 AM »
Don't think even a guy 6'5'' 290 needs 70 more hp.. but brock did finally go 200.. now going 200 & doing it in a mile is a big difference.. little more power & lot more distance 200 can be done.

Offline mrchue

• Rider
  • Skinnned again!
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »

[/quote]
apparently you dont do much riding. i travel all over the u.s, and i have never found it a problem to find a place to bust 200. why would you think that the normal person wouldnt get the same tune on their bike as that bike got?

[/quote]

I do lots of riding. I may not do it all over the U.S. But I do enough up and down the East Coast.  I speak from my area and there is no many 5.0's in my reigon that it is a reflect of my question.

I think that that tune is unlike what the normal person would get cause the average rider of everyday to work and home riding wouldn't get that kinda tune.  Everyday rider may get a pipe and a power commander and maybe a sprocket. And I am sure that there is way more tune than listed on that bike.  I am sure the everyday rider is not traveling with a laptop to change there map after every run, or running MRP or UV4.  In the race an the ride world we all know that we all keep secrets from one another cause no body wants to come in 2nd.  No body wants to tell ever addition and ever secret that you have learned over the years.

So when was that last time you rode your bike above 200 mph???
7 CITY RYDERZ MC 

Offline busa200

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 09:42:15 AM »
i ride it over 200 just about every time i get on it and that is on the street.

Offline mrchue

• Rider
  • Skinnned again!
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »
Well, with that being said, you have the mods and you have the roads to allow you to do speeds like that.  Here in VA, we don't have the roads to stretch it out like that, unless it is on a back road and the police here murder sport bike riders.  You are lucky to be able to ride like that.

With the sproket changes and the off reading of the Tach's your lucky to know that your doing that speed.  I know with a 17/45 qearing a bike is at least 19 miles off on the tach reading at 85mph and since it goes to 180 mph I would find it hard to really know how fast your running after you have past 180, unless your being clocked which goes back to the average person wouldn't have the means to ride that fast or even knowing thier going that fast..

But hats off to you my friend.  Please ride safe..
7 CITY RYDERZ MC 

Offline busa200

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 11:35:33 AM »
i was working in viginia for about 6 months and i found some really good places to run over 200. as far as knowing how fast i am going i have a garmin gps which tells me right away.