Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: need help with old cbr900rr compression test and other misc motor stuff  (Read 4185 times)

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
I have a buddy who  just got a 98 cbr900rr as a first bike and  it  has some problems  and I am trying to fix for him.I rode the bike when he first got it a couple weeks ago and noticed that it would miss a Little at lower rpms but once you nailed it,it ran pretty good. I took it as just not jetted properly.He had some charging  issues and took it to a shop to get fixed and they found a wire  on the stator that wasn't  connected so they plugged it back  in.The problem now is it doesn't  run or even start at all.I did a compression check on two of the cylinders and they were both low one was 55 and the other was 60. I did open the throttle up and even opened the choke to try and get  higher reading out of it. The owner doesn't know a thing about bikes but swears it didn't get hot,blow any  smoke or nothing like that.The battery just wouldn't hold a charge is what started it all.Does anyone know what the compression should be ?160 -170?somewhere in that area is what I am thinking. what would cause it to lose compression like that ?I know worn rings,cracked block and a thousand other things could be the cause but  I don't know why it have such a low reading  with out getting real hot and cracking the head?I haven't really messed with carbed bike so maybe I am doing something wrong when I am  doing the compression test.Is there something special you have to do with them that would be different then a F.I bike?please pass on some knowledge so I can help this guy out.thanks again

Offline slodsm

• Rider
Since it won't start and the motor is cold, the numbers are going to be down a bit but that is extremely low. Any chance it jumped timing while it was being worked on? A late intake closing point would be a good reason for that to be so low with no prior smoke.

If I remember correctly, the standard cynamic compression numbers should be in the high 100's range for it but there will be variation from gauge to gauge if they aren't calibrated.
Jay Sensing
K5 1000. 1.54, 6.21@115

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Just a update. I got the bike running  even with the ass compression :shock:. I dont have a clue how its running with it but it is.Its a little hard to start when its cold but other then its all good...honda

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
bump