Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Let's see your Busa in action!  (Read 90744 times)

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Let's see your Busa in action!
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »
Is your pipe a Big Bird?

Tell me about the rest of your set-up (tires, suspension, brakes).  :)
-Kirk

Offline .D.

• Rider
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2011, 06:18:39 PM »
Um yes, yes it is - unfortunately :td:

Pretty sure yer jokin but here goes...

The CuNT - 12.5:1 1397, 06 Forks with Racetech 1.1 springs and 10W oil, newer/low mileage stock shock (for now, I have a newer G1K shock that I'm going to put a heavier spring on), braided lines and recent HH front pads, Bridgestone 022 tires (I think) and I haven't messed with the damper (yet).

I had only ridden this bike about 300 miles before taking it on the track so my comfort level with the bike was not real high.  This bike wants to kill me so I was not tryin to push ANY limits that day but had a great time getting to know the bike and the track.

Assuming the bikes driveability issues are resolved with the correct map (like I think it will) then I'd like to upgrade the front rotors and damper after I replace the shock  - sucks bein on a budget. 

I'm on a 1 bike budget so I'll do the best I can with what I've got - wasn't as bad on the track as I though it would be but I'm sure another liter bike would show me the error of my ways pretty quick on that matter.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »
Um yes, yes it is - unfortunately :td:

Pretty sure yer jokin but here goes...

Why?  Did my poor memory make me do something funny again?

The CuNT - 12.5:1 1397, 06 Forks with Racetech 1.1 springs and 10W oil, newer/low mileage stock shock (for now, I have a newer G1K shock that I'm going to put a heavier spring on), braided lines and recent HH front pads, Bridgestone 022 tires (I think) and I haven't messed with the damper (yet).

I had only ridden this bike about 300 miles before taking it on the track so my comfort level with the bike was not real high.  This bike wants to kill me so I was not tryin to push ANY limits that day but had a great time getting to know the bike and the track.

Assuming the bikes driveability issues are resolved with the correct map (like I think it will) then I'd like to upgrade the front rotors and damper after I replace the shock  - sucks bein on a budget.  

I'm on a 1 bike budget so I'll do the best I can with what I've got - wasn't as bad on the track as I though it would be but I'm sure another liter bike would show me the error of my ways pretty quick on that matter.

Like so many other jobs, The Hayabusa is wonderful as a track day bike.

I'm sorry it's trying to kill you.  I'm sure that once you've sorted out the mapping of those small throttle openings, it won't try to kill you anymore.

Good job on the fork and brake upgrades so far.

If you have not already pulled the counter-balancer, I would do so immediately, or at least the next time you have the pipe off. It's easy.

Save your money on the rotors- with today's brake pads, you can get really good performance with stock stainless rotors.  I don't know which HH pads you're using, but if they are the regular "FA" EBC part number prefix and you still want more performance, try the "GFA" kit race pads.  You can even step up to the "EPFA" or even the "GPFA" HH pads, although EBC expresses concernc about using their most powerful pads (GPFA) on the street, simply because of their power.

Forget the steering damper- a worn-out 13 year old steering damper is perfect for a Hayabusa on the track.

You might mean the Bridgestone BT-002 or BT-002 Racing Street tires.  What sizes are you using?  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:18:43 AM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline .D.

• Rider
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »
I had replied to your HMF inquiry on the Second Gen Board here - I think you called them after you read my response.

I believe the coutnerbalancer was removed when the engine was built.  I don't know this as fact because the shop that built it is gone and Walter can't remember too much about a motor that was built by one of his guys over 4 years ago - my seat of the oants feel is that it's not there.

I don't rememeber which HH compound they are, I just know they were 1000x better than what was on the bike when i got it.

I'll look into different tires when these wear out.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »
Fixed my typo above.  Doh.

I had replied to your HMF inquiry on the Second Gen Board here - I think you called them after you read my response.

Ah...thanks, buddy.  :tu:

I believe the coutnerbalancer was removed when the engine was built.  I don't know this as fact because the shop that built it is gone and Walter can't remember too much about a motor that was built by one of his guys over 4 years ago - my seat of the oants feel is that it's not there.

Wouldn't surprise me.  You're probably right. That's a reasonable modification to make when building an engine.  It only takes a few minutes to drop the pan and take a look the next time you have the exhaust off. 

I don't rememeber which HH compound they are, I just know they were 1000x better than what was on the bike when i got it.

Most likely the regular FA-prefix pads.  They are by far the most common, and unless you specifically sought out the other pads, you would probably never see them.  You're right, they are 1000 times better than the stock pads.  :lol:

If your bike still has the 6-pot Tokico calipers, the correct part numbers are going to be FA188HH for the pads you most likely have, or if you want to upgrade from there, it would be GFA188HH, EPFA188HH, and GPFA188HH, in order of braking power.  I did fine with the stock brake master cylinder like you have.  Fresh, well-bled, high temperature brake fluid  (I used Motul 600F degree DOT 5.1 synthetic) is also important- the Hayabusa is a heavy bike, and can put a lot of heat into the brake fluid.  Bleed it well, and bleed it often.  :tu:

I'll look into different tires when these wear out.

I don't know, man- if you like those tires, they may work for you.  I've never used them, but I think they're good tires.  :bike: 

What tire sizes are you currently using?
-Kirk

Offline .D.

• Rider
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2011, 11:32:09 AM »
Tires are what came on it when I got it - they were almost new and I think did very well at the track for a more street/tour oriented tire.  Reality is that my skill level is nowhere near finding the limits of traction on tires ( that isn't induced by excessive throttle).

Right now just the 190/50 but I'm looking to try the 190/55 and maybe some links to raise the rear.  I do like to do some top end runs every now and then so I'll prolly just try the 190/55 before the links.  Even that's kind of a dumb statement as 98% of my riding is street and most of that is commuting really.

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2011, 01:41:52 PM »
I saw a simple pair of aluminum fixed 1" raising links on e-bay recently for like $17.  Probably the most cost-effective improvement you could make in your bike at this point, and they're easy to intall.

You'll like the 190/55.  A lot.  When it's time, if you'd like help picking a tire, I'd be happy to help.

Don't forget to re-aim your headlight after doing either or both of those.  The stock Hayabusa headlight actually works pretty good, but Suzuki delivers them with the headlight pointed in the dirt.

...and your riding looked just fine.  I wish I could have been there. Thanks again for sharing the video.  :)
-Kirk

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2011, 01:44:28 PM »
I would love to ride that track.......looks really fast which I love to do on some mountain roads we have out here but helluva lot safer...

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
I don't have the exact stats on Big Willow, but I can think of two other tracks, both on the west coast, that should be significantly faster.

Here are little 750 and 1000 cc bikes at PIR, with top speeds of about 175 mph for the faster bikes:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iOEAb1OlLoM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iOEAb1OlLoM?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

The other track that I'm thinking of is Spokane, which has has gone through a couple of owners, is NOT near a trauma center, and has had some safety issues with run-off in the past.  The new owners appear to be running a new somewhat shorter front straightaway, but in the past, they have had a spectacularly long front straight.  If memory serves, it was a mile long.  When Rad Greaves unsuccessfully attempted to break the 200 mph barrier in competition, I was going to try to beat him to the punch, by using Spokane Raceway Park (as it was known then).  In the end, neither one of us did it.  :cry:  Aerial photographs show that the pavement is still there- I just don't know if there's going to be any way to use the old configuration. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:18:41 AM by Kirk »
-Kirk

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2011, 02:54:57 PM »
HPR in Colorado has a long straight that is about 3/4 mile......

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »

The info I found on High Plains Raceway said that in the longest configuration (the 2.54 mile version), the longest straight is the 2200 foot long back straight (about half as long as the front straight at PIR).

Am I looking at the wrong track?  :?
-Kirk

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2011, 02:29:14 AM »
Control riding so not ripping it.....

Where did you get the radial adapters for the old Ohlins RT fork ?  I have a fork like that but only with "std" brakes on one of my track bikes.
I dont know what I am talking about but I do know that I am right :)

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2011, 12:25:23 PM »
I got it from a seller on Ebay who is located in Japan. I was enquiring about something and mentioned these and he said he had he thought he had some. So a few days later tells me he has some so I got them for a decent price. They are hard to locate as some companies were making them but quit after awhile plus for the more common 108mm spacing it's harder. There are some made by Cycle Cat that has them for the 100mm spacing common in the Brembo calipers.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:37:55 PM by Busashot »

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »

The info I found on High Plains Raceway said that in the longest configuration (the 2.54 mile version), the longest straight is the 2200 foot long back straight (about half as long as the front straight at PIR).

No your right. I don't know why I said 3/4 mile

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »

It's called a "mistake".  I make them all the time.  :wink:

No your right. I don't know why I said 3/4 mile
-Kirk

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2011, 06:06:33 AM »
I got it from a seller on Ebay who is located in Japan. I was enquiring about something and mentioned these and he said he had he thought he had some. So a few days later tells me he has some so I got them for a decent price. They are hard to locate as some companies were making them but quit after awhile plus for the more common 108mm spacing it's harder. There are some made by Cycle Cat that has them for the 100mm spacing common in the Brembo calipers.

I have seen several different ones but Yours are the nicest one I have seen.
I just have t keep on looking .:)
I dont know what I am talking about but I do know that I am right :)

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2011, 09:28:21 PM »
I got lucky cause I was looking hardcore for like 2 weeks and even found a guy who could make them but they were pretty plain and expensive