Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Lowering links and straps? how much do they help  (Read 4490 times)

Offline hughy454

• Rider
Lowering links and straps? how much do they help
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:26:10 AM »
I have 08 and have a drag strip day planned in 2 weeks, been thinking of doing the lowering links and straps but have never been on a bike with this mod. I'm told it will help you launch better and may gain .2 sec. What is your thoughts and can I still ride the bike there or is this not a good idea? Also how low 1" 2" After changing link, Do you need to change spring tension in the rear? Any info would help! Also can you explain how this helps, I figure it would land hard in the front after a small wheelie with less travel.. Thanks!!

Offline LaRedd

• Rider
Re: Lowering links and straps? how much do they help
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »
Both will help.  Tighten the strap a lil at a time so you can adjust to what the bike is doing.  If it's tightened all the way and you wheelie it will be a hard landing.  The strap helps b/c it limits the amount of travel on the front forks and keeps them from fully extending which helps with wheelies.  Imagine trying to jump in the air and someone pushes down on your shoulders just as you leap. 

Don't ever ride on the street with that strap tightened down or you'll regret it.

I would adjust the tension to best help the bike squat

Some of these guys are at the track all the time and I'm sure can give you some better answers and possibly help with suspension settings

Offline Predator

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 11:42:57 PM »
I would lower it to the lowest position on the links , but do the kickstand mod or it will end up on it's side when you park it also pull the strap down till you only have about 1 1/2 inches of fork tube showing for travel. Doing these two things will help lower the center of gravity and help you fight wheelies, take it easy on your first couple of passes until you get a feel for it try launching off idle but get the clutch out asap then pin the throttle, after that try launching at 1500 rpm or even 2000 and do the same but try to slide the clutch a little more the higher you launch.
Hayabusa, because 14's are just slow!                                           
ZX 14 its whats for dinner!

Offline hughy454

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »
Thanks for all the info! I ordered the links and the strap, nice to here about the kick stand,  I didn't think about that.. Hope it can help me launch better.. in stock form its not that easy.. my Honda 929 launched easier. Would love to get in the 9's but if not I will learn some, and maybe next trip I can. Thanks for your help

Offline Crypt keeper

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 11:45:33 AM »
If you are going to drag race it I highly advise getting the clutch mod. It will make your clutch last 2 times longer. Also its not needed but getting a upper triple tree that allows you to lower the front end of the bike.

Schnitz has the drag pack for $400. Its a great price to buy it all at once. Comes with the brackets, clutch mod, starp and lowering links.