Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2006 busa slipping in 2nd. help  (Read 6901 times)

Offline tweber55

• Apprentice Post Whore
2006 busa slipping in 2nd. help
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:04:46 PM »
Hello,
I own a 2006 busa with 800 miles.I just started to experience a problem while excelerating hard only in 2nd. gear.The bike seems to slip for a split second and power comes back.The chain seems properly adjusted and gas is good.The bike is stock except TRE,which has been fine since installed when new.Any suggestions and possible cost to fix?Maybe use a thicker oil?Please help

Offline blk02ws6

• Mad Post Whore
Re: 2006 busa slipping in 2nd. help
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:33:25 AM »
sounds like your experiencing the common second gear issues these bikes have. either the shift fork is bent, allowing the gears to engage/disengage, or the dogs are rounded off causing the gears to skip and then grab. either way, you can plan on pulling the motor and splitting the cases. cost will vary with where you live and who you have do it.

Offline tweber55

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »
sounds like your experiencing the common second gear issues these bikes have. either the shift fork is bent, allowing the gears to engage/disengage, or the dogs are rounded off causing the gears to skip and then grab. either way, you can plan on pulling the motor and splitting the cases. cost will vary with where you live and who you have do it.

thanks for the reply,give me an idea of what you think the cost would be?

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 01:56:42 PM »
Is the (sliping) 2nd only? there is a 2nd gear issue with some bikes but yours seems kind of low mileage to have the gear problem, it may have, but I have had clutch issues that would cause what your describing but it does this in other gears at times
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »
you have to pull the trans, send it out to be undercut, maybe replace 2nd gear if wore real bad.  Replace shift fork(s) if neccessary, billet shift shafts arne't a bad idea $60 or so for them.

depending on where you go $300-$400 on trans undercut, $60 in shift shafts if you go that route, $65 per shift fork I think (3 total, maybe you need just 1), $40 for a lower end gasket kit by cometic, plus labor.

let me know if you need any parts i can save you a few bucks.  I am going to do this on my wifes bike this winter, my bike did it years ago, tons of them out there with this issue.
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline Chuck Wilburn

• Post Whore
    • http://www.tupeloperformancecycles.com
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:30:39 AM »
We repair them in-house for $1100.  Drive-in, drive-out, tax, everything.  New shift fork/shaft/R&D undercut 2nd/6th so it won't happen again.   http://www.tupeloperformancecycles.com/tpc_services.htm

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 11:34:49 AM »
Nice price chuck :)
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com