Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Front wobble strapped down at 60 mph & up  (Read 10454 times)

Offline Busa2

• Rider
  • My Crew Chief
    • WildRice
Front wobble strapped down at 60 mph & up
« on: July 23, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »
I have an 06 Busa extended 4".  I have always had a front end wobble when strapped down tight 60 mph & up.  I eliminate the problem by leaving 1+ inch of strap down travel.  I have replaced the steering dampner--no difference.  June's run at Maxton I had some major front end wobble at approx 120 mph and up.  It gets better by transferring more body weight onto the steering but several times I had to back out of the throttle.  I've had advice to check the alignment--what's the procedure?  The rear wheel is square to the frame.  I guess I could replace the front tire.  No pulsing during braking.  I can't find anything bent.  I'd like to troubleshoot the strap down wobble at 70 mph which is consistant--the 140 mph wobble varies between runs.  Any suggestions??
Thanks---Darrell
195.37 MPH 06/28/08 @ ECTA on 2006 Busa

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Front wobble strapped down at 60 mph & up
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
does it wobble without the strap?  Try that

Offline Busa2

• Rider
  • My Crew Chief
    • WildRice
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 05:18:25 PM »
No wobble without the strap at speeds below 120 mph

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
  • Representing San Diego's back roads. Woot!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:23:07 PM »
Are your tires balanced? The wieghts didn't fly off, did they?

And when you strap down a bike on a run, it's only enough to push down and prevent it from coming up. You do not need to strap it down extra extra tight, you still need 'some' play in the suspension movement. Do not make it rock hard stiff.
Take off like a 13, flick it like a 6

Offline Busa2

• Rider
  • My Crew Chief
    • WildRice
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 09:57:26 PM »
Are your tires balanced? The wieghts didn't fly off, did they?

And when you strap down a bike on a run, it's only enough to push down and prevent it from coming up. You do not need to strap it down extra extra tight, you still need 'some' play in the suspension movement. Do not make it rock hard stiff.

Interesting feedback on wheel weights.  I have zero weight weights on the tires.  Several others say they don't have weights either.  I thought wheel weights would prevent an up & down pulsation with harmonics are various speeds.  I don't have or I don't feel that--I have wheel wobble probably initiated by the Maxton track surface.  I can see where a tire cord pull could cause the wobble.  For sure balancing the tires won't hurt any--I guess it's possible although not consistant.  Maybe I'll get a new front tire--balanced.
I agree the suspension needs travel--it's an argument I have with drag racing friends & one of them currently holds the world record for 8.91 on the fastest all motor street tire GSX1000 ss.  I've seen a few crashes at the trap because hard braking with no suspension causes the front end to slide out.  I was just hoping to solve the problem at the 70 mph mark rather than 140mph--.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
Grip to tight? check bearings and mayber the triple tree nut to make sure its not lose. Sounds like something is moving.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline Scary-Jerry

• Mad Post Whore
  • A Real Street Bike!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 01:32:59 AM »
You stated the Bike is extended... are 100% sure the extensions are square: Horizontally & Vertically  :?:
Most frontend problems originate at the rear and vise versa...

Also, check your swingarm's tightness and the bearing's at the Frame pivots. 
Are those: extensions, or a modded swingarm, or a new swingarm  :?:
Did you reinstall the spacer's between the Frame Rails if you removed the Swingarm  :?:

BTW - This is in the wrong forum, it should be in MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 01:35:20 AM by Scary-Jerry »

1999: RCC 'Custom' Stage II Intercooled Turbo System, AMS1000, GSXR Front End & Wheels, Trac Swingarm, Elka Shock, Cut Tank, & a lot of Carbon...

Offline Busa2

• Rider
  • My Crew Chief
    • WildRice
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 10:49:31 AM »
Modified swingarm previously used on an 03 Busa with zero problems.  I am replacing the front tire & rebalancing.  I will  double check all the recommendations.  I'll let you know results.--

Thanks--Darrell

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 07:00:52 PM »
+1 on what they said. IMO never strap it all the way, that removes all suspension dampening, dangerous during braking.

Offline Busa2

• Rider
  • My Crew Chief
    • WildRice
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:43:22 PM »
I have an 06 Busa extended 4".  I have always had a front end wobble when strapped down tight 60 mph & up.  I eliminate the problem by leaving 1+ inch of strap down travel.  I have replaced the steering dampner--no difference.  June's run at Maxton I had some major front end wobble at approx 120 mph and up.  It gets better by transferring more body weight onto the steering but several times I had to back out of the throttle.  I've had advice to check the alignment--what's the procedure?  The rear wheel is square to the frame.  I guess I could replace the front tire.  No pulsing during braking.  I can't find anything bent.  I'd like to troubleshoot the strap down wobble at 70 mph which is consistant--the 140 mph wobble varies between runs.  Any suggestions??
Thanks---Darrell
I had a tire store replace the tire which had approx 3500 miles on it.  I asked the store to check balancing on the exisitng tire before changing it.  The existing front tire was out of balance by approx. 1 oz.  Tires have static balance(vertical balance) and coupled balance(sideways wobble)  the coupled balance problem is more pronounced with wider tires vrs the 120/70/zr17  narrow tire.  In hindsight it would make sense that a strapped down tight front end would exhibit an existing balance problem shake/wobble and the problem could be cleared with suspension travel.  Back to Basics:-)
I haven't had the opportunity to field test the bike but I'm betting the problem has been solved--I'll keep you posted.  Thanks for all the suggestions.
Darrell

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
Did that solve the problem?

Offline Busa2

• Rider
  • My Crew Chief
    • WildRice
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »
Did that solve the problem?

It may take a few weeks to find out--various activities going on.  Possible swap 2008 Engine/trans from crashed bike into my 2006 Busa.

Offline Busa2

• Rider
  • My Crew Chief
    • WildRice
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 05:41:20 PM »
Replacing the front tire solved the problem--took it 170mph several times with zero shake using new tire.