Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: setting up suspension  (Read 8639 times)

Offline HOAX

• Rider
setting up suspension
« on: April 20, 2009, 08:57:50 AM »
i have a stock length, lowered 1.5" '07. I am 6'1" and 245lbs. with not touching the adjustment screws on the shock or anything else, the bike rode fine for me. but it beats my 5' 95lb wife to death. what can i do to soften the load for her without making it so spongy i bottom out over bumps?

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
Re: setting up suspension
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 11:06:09 PM »
might want to take a few clicks of compression out of the rear. Just write down how many clicks u turn it, every 1/4 turn it should click. I would take out 4 clicks to start, see how that rides. You wont bottom out unless u start messing with the rear spring adjusters. Just sounds like the ass end is a bit to tight, you prob run about 40 psi in the rear tire huh??
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline HOAX

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:37:22 AM »
37lbs usually

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »
hmm thats pretty soft for 2 up, maybe she is just overly sensitive?? MY busa was set up stiff as hell for knee dragging and my ex who was around 135-140 loved the back of the bike, never once complained. You can still take a few clicks of compression out, just write down every time you make a turn so u can keep track of it.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline HOAX

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 07:02:27 PM »
she is, she went down before we got together and it left permanent damage. if we hit a couple of hard bumps it will damn near bring her to tears

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »
No amount of suspention work is going to fix that, even if you make it ride like a caddy. You can soften it some, write it down and when u ride her make the change and when she is off of it, put it back. Best advice is to help her deal with the fear cause the suspention will only get so soft then it will get dangerous.

Offline HOAX

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »
Sounds good. and its not a fear of going down thats the issue. she has permanent nerve damage in her back and neck from hitting the pavement at 130. she rode with some prick who was outside of his abilities in a curve.

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
  • Representing San Diego's back roads. Woot!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »
The Busa, even in it's softest setting, might be way to harsh for her. On pillion, she's sitting almost directly on her tailbone, which guarantee will be painful if she's got any problems.

My wife is the same way. For right now, we really don't ride together much. I did borrow an Electra Glide from a friend once, and she LOVED that! (even if I was not really feeling it).

Any chance you can borrow another bike? A big cruiser or touring bike?
Take off like a 13, flick it like a 6

Offline HOAX

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 06:16:02 PM »
We plan on buying a cruiser in the next year or so for longer trips. But neither of us are willing to get rid of the busa. I even made a comment to the effect that we might need to sell it to get a cruiser and she flipped out lol.

Offline Busacharger

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 08:05:14 PM »
Might want to try a gel or air seat pad that straps to the stock seat.
2002 Blu/Siv. R.I.P. - 2008 Blu/Blk current

Offline bulletb

• Rider
  • Knocked on the door in 08 Kicked the door down 09!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »
If yall are looking for a truly comfortable & fast bike.....can't do better than a "GL1800"...it's my other ride, 75,000 miles & it still hauls ass, & carves corners unbelievably well :thumb:....just like new.

Bob.
206.9 "Texas Mile" Goliad-2009
209.0 "Texas Mile" Beeville"-2012
215.9 "Mojave Magnum"-2012
203.569 "ECTA Record-Wilmington"-2012 
214.005 "Loring"-2009
 (All on Stock Motor-Tuned by Cheese)

204.5 "Texas Mile"-Naked Turbo-(Fkawi Racing)-2010

225.187 "SCTA-Bonneville Record"-2012 (Entropy's Rust Bucket")

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:21 PM »
she went down before we got together....

They all do...then you go and marry them and well.....
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning