Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 200-MPH Club Member What Is The Next Logical Step?  (Read 12763 times)

Offline JR Killiany

• Rider
  • Where am I?
200-MPH Club Member What Is The Next Logical Step?
« on: August 06, 2008, 01:49:17 PM »
At Bonneville the next step above the 200-MPH club is the 300-MPH club.  Now that is a big step.

How about going from zero to 200-MPH within 1-mile two-up or double.

Men: get your favorite girl (a 110-pounder would be nice) and ask her if she would like to go for a ride.  A fast ride. Don't forget to tell her to hang on tight.

Women: if you have a big guy, you better get him on a diet. Jen do you think you can get your dad (Roger) to ride on the back.

Another first, father daughter 200-MPH club member two-up.

Just a thought.

JR Killiany
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:02:18 PM by JR Killiany »

Offline brmrc51

• Rider
  • DUMP PIPES SAVE LIVES !
Re: 200-MPH Club Member What Is The Next Logical Step?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 02:00:30 PM »
 :thumb:will be good for traction, but good luck finding a dame for the run!!!

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »
Good luck finding a track that would take on the responsibility/accountability of a 2 up land speed run!  Then again...........you could just find a long straight away and use a GPS! :P

Jason
Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure.

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa
Ninja 250.........daily driver

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:12:52 PM »
My wife won't even ride with me on the street anymore doing the speed limit.

Offline brmrc51

• Rider
  • DUMP PIPES SAVE LIVES !
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:21:50 PM »
amem to that. they know a twist of the wrist is alot cheaper than a divorice ! :vl:

Offline JR Killiany

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:27:22 PM »
I captured this article from www.bmwsuperbikes.com.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - November 8, 2005... A 2006 production model BMW K 1200 S has set a world land speed record in the 1000 - 1350 cc stock, partially streamlined, naturally aspirated motorcycle class at Utah's famed Bonneville Salt Flats. The motorcycle, piloted by 56-year-old Andy Sills, of San Francisco, CA, reached an average speed of 173.57 mph and top speed of 176.789 mph after two runs on the vast, white plains, where hundreds of land speed records have been set and broken since the early 1900s in a variety of automobile and motorcycle classes.

"It was a rare opportunity for me and BMW," commented Sills, an avid BMW enthusiast, who, collectively, has amassed more than 300,000 miles on four BMW motorcycles within the last seven years. Sills went on to say, "The best part is that our record on the stock BMW K 1200 S matched to the mile, the historic last record run of 173.68 mph by Ernst Henne on a specially equipped streamlined BMW! He must have been watching over us."

Sills, who began making his mark on the Bonneville Salt Flats four years ago and who holds the world 80cc and 100cc motorcycle streamliner records, also clocked a record speed of 169 mph, riding the K 1200 S two-up with passenger Erin Hunter. The pair received a standing ovation from a cheering crowd of fellow competitors as they made their way into the pits.

The records, which were ratified on October 25, 2005, were set September 8, 2005 according to rules set forth by the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM), the century-old, Swiss-based governing body for five motorcycling disciplines (road racing, motocross, trial, enduro and track racing).

I would like to add separate from the above article the fact that the very next year the Suzuki Hayabusa competed in the same class and ran 198.??? mph.

JR Killiany

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:57:17 PM »
I captured this article from www.bmwsuperbikes.com.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ - November 8, 2005... A 2006 production model BMW K 1200 S has set a world land speed record in the 1000 - 1350 cc stock, partially streamlined, naturally aspirated motorcycle class at Utah's famed Bonneville Salt Flats. The motorcycle, piloted by 56-year-old Andy Sills, of San Francisco, CA, reached an average speed of 173.57 mph and top speed of 176.789 mph after two runs on the vast, white plains, where hundreds of land speed records have been set and broken since the early 1900s in a variety of automobile and motorcycle classes.

"It was a rare opportunity for me and BMW," commented Sills, an avid BMW enthusiast, who, collectively, has amassed more than 300,000 miles on four BMW motorcycles within the last seven years. Sills went on to say, "The best part is that our record on the stock BMW K 1200 S matched to the mile, the historic last record run of 173.68 mph by Ernst Henne on a specially equipped streamlined BMW! He must have been watching over us."

Sills, who began making his mark on the Bonneville Salt Flats four years ago and who holds the world 80cc and 100cc motorcycle streamliner records, also clocked a record speed of 169 mph, riding the K 1200 S two-up with passenger Erin Hunter. The pair received a standing ovation from a cheering crowd of fellow competitors as they made their way into the pits.

The records, which were ratified on October 25, 2005, were set September 8, 2005 according to rules set forth by the Federation Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM), the century-old, Swiss-based governing body for five motorcycling disciplines (road racing, motocross, trial, enduro and track racing).

I would like to add separate from the above article the fact that the very next year the Suzuki Hayabusa competed in the same class and ran 198.??? mph.

JR Killiany

I wonder if Maxton or Texas would go for the two up thing?

Jason

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
Don't know if two TFA members would even fit on a bike without snapping it like a twig. Some
of us should be counted as two people any how!   :P   :P   :P

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:49:57 PM »
After Andy and Erin ran the 160+ pass I petion-ed the race organizer to run two-up with my Turbo Busa and was later told a firm NO...I had, Erin, Andy and two others that said they would be my passenger and I told the promoter that we would only run just over 200 miles-per-hour...  oh well...
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 07:52:24 PM »
hmmmm, interesting. I didn't know you could go 2-up under FIM. I know you can run a passenger on a side car (is that at bub only?) but never thought of 2-up straight up.
hmmm I wonder if bub would allow 2-up?

As for Maxton, I seriously doubt it. You can't run a passenger in a 4 wheeler, I doubt they'd ever let a passenger on 2 wheels!

That being said, Todd & I have done somewhere around 150-160 2-up on my busa. Him driving of course. I would compete with him 2-up. We'd have
to do some alterations to the bike to support it. Like someplace for the passenger to hold onto other then/in addition to the driver. Holding on is the hardest
part!

Oh & just for the TFA crowd, our weight together is 300lbs. ;)

Deb

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »
So they would only let the 2-up run happend once? Which meet/sanctioning body allowed that? I know it said FIM did they have their own meet or was that during BUB or USFRA... ?

Deb

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »
hmmmm, interesting. I didn't know you could go 2-up under FIM. I know you can run a passenger on a side car (is that at bub only?) but never thought of 2-up straight up.

As for Maxton, I seriously doubt it. You can't run a passenger in a 4 wheeler, I doubt they'd ever let a passenger on 2 wheels!

That being said, Todd & I have done somewhere around 150-160 2-up on my busa. Him driving of course. I would compete with him 2-up. We'd have
to do some alterations to the bike to support it. Like someplace for the passenger to hold onto other then/in addition to the driver. Holding on is the hardest
part!

Deb

I'm glad Todd was driving.  A man shouldn't have to ride "bitch."  It's way too embarrassing!

Jason

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »

part!

Deb

Deb,

It was during the 2005 FIM/Bubs meet at Bonneville...after the run was when I mentioned I would like to run over 200 with a passenger and before I asked I made sure we had severl people that would go for it as the passenger.

When we asked Denis Manning said no so we ended up not running a passeger however this year we may have a person on a three wheeler...shooting for a slower speed of only 188mph or so... :D

So Todd is 175 and you are 125..?  (Don't hit me?

J

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 04:24:31 AM »
Deb,

It was during the 2005 FIM/Bubs meet at Bonneville...after the run was when I mentioned I would like to run over 200 with a passenger and before I asked I made sure we had severl people that would go for it as the passenger.

When we asked Denis Manning said no so we ended up not running a passeger however this year we may have a person on a three wheeler...shooting for a slower speed of only 188mph or so... :D

So Todd is 175 and you are 125..?  (Don't hit me?

J

By three wheeler do you mean a sidecar? I would think it's harder to hold on at higher speeds on the sidecar.

You're close. I typically weigh between 115-120 depending on how much I've been pigging out! Todd's not been hitting the gym lately!  :vl:

Jason, Todd's not allowed to ride bitch cause he picks the most distracting places to hold on!  :lol:

Deb

Offline jasontmc

• Post Whore
    • We all know one.
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 06:11:52 PM »
250mph club. no meetings no dues and only a handfull of members :thumb:
Sponsored by: CATALYST COMPOSITES, RCC Turbos,
Scott Guthrie Racing, Helmet House, NJK Leathers, Atomic Speedware, Innovate, Bridgestone, Dumonde tech oils, Spider grips, Boost by Smith, Worldwide Bearings.

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 01:14:06 AM »

Jason,

First they have to get to the party and dance...then seek membership in the 250 club...

I nominate you for Prez this year.. :thumb:

Offline jasontmc

• Post Whore
    • We all know one.
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 01:16:21 AM »

Jason,

First they have to get to the party and dance...then seek membership in the 250 club...

[/quote]

I do have some time on my hands! know what i mean! :lol:
Sponsored by: CATALYST COMPOSITES, RCC Turbos,
Scott Guthrie Racing, Helmet House, NJK Leathers, Atomic Speedware, Innovate, Bridgestone, Dumonde tech oils, Spider grips, Boost by Smith, Worldwide Bearings.

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 01:17:25 AM »

Jason,

I do have some time on my hands! know what i mean! :lol:
[/quote]

Lazy azz... 8)

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 01:18:06 AM »
BTW,

Learn to quote if you want to run for office... :!:

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 06:39:58 AM »
Sheesh and don't you need to name it properly? :roll:
something like Open Wheel Motorcycle 250 MPH Club?

You can be the OWM 250's

Deb

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2008, 09:06:24 AM »
Curious as to your guys thoughts as far as the danger is concerned with having the much weight that far back on the bike. Having added weight that far back would change the center of gravity of the bike further back and potentially moving it close to or behind the center of pressure. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this could or would cause a high speed wobble due to the rear of the bike wanting to come around to front. I keep thinking about how a dart works, heavy in the front light in the rear.

I have seen the Andy Sills video of him riding two-up on his pass at the BuB event and the bike was a K1200S. That bike in my opinion is not a lightweight bike nor is the Busa, so while these two bikes may be able to get away with two-up high speed passes I doubt some of the smaller bikes could as the speeds increase...........your thoughts???

Scott
Seek to understand, then to be understood.

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 09:09:01 AM »

I like this idea.......will you be passing out hats and shirts?

Scott

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 09:32:28 AM »
Scott, is that video available for viewing online? I know I'd love to see/study it & I bet I'm not the only one!

Don't know about the front end wobble but it definitely has the potential to change the CP/CG depending on how the riders are situated. Perhaps a setup like the cut rail stretched drag bikes might be a better catalyst for that type of riding.

Deb

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »
Scott, is that video available for viewing online? I know I'd love to see/study it & I bet I'm not the only one!

Don't know about the front end wobble but it definitely has the potential to change the CP/CG depending on how the riders are situated. Perhaps a setup like the cut rail stretched drag bikes might be a better catalyst for that type of riding.

Deb

Deb - I can not find it anymore........as far a stretched drag bikes are concerned, it may be better but how many people do you think would build a race chassis for a bike to race two-up? I do not think to many as there are not a lot of people building custom racing chassis' in LSR now.

Scott

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 10:48:07 AM »
I think once the stock based records are saturated we're going to start seeing more & more complete builds.
(or should I say once John & Jason get done running up all of the records us mere mortals are going to be forced to build unique machines to chase their legacy!  :vl: )

Things like the opportunity to race 2-up for the chance at something new & unique, ie a new feather in ones cap, is just another opportunity.

I wonder if anyone has that video saved on their computer or on DVD. I'd really love to see it!

This has been an enlightening thread from a topic that I have to wonder if it wasn't started with sarcasm!
(of course they should know better with the true speedaholics around here! Some of us will try it any way we can!  :o )

Deb