Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Project Hayabusa  (Read 35467 times)

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
Project Hayabusa
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:09:49 PM »
I bought this last month for $2700 it is an 03' Hayabusa with 11500 miles on the clock. The bike has a salvaged title as it was laid down on its right side. It only had minor damage to everything else on the bike with the exception of the fairing.

This is going to be my next land speed project. I have lots of plans for this bike and anticipate a long build time on this one as I have another bike I need to finish to pay for this one and I still have half of the racing season left with my Buell.

Here it is stripped down and almost ready to race in the unfaired class. I may run the bike at El Mirage the last two events of the year in its current configuration. Thanks to John Noonan for hooking me up with a starter cover so I could get her running. John and member 469 Boy helped me figure out how to bypass the ignition since I didn't have a key and I got her running yesterday. I am pretty amazed at how strong the bike is in stock form.

Once I start building the bike it is going to see major changes, starting with a custom frame that I will build from scratch and lots of other custom one off parts to make her go fast. Eventually when the chassis is done and the stock motor is bolted up and ready to run I will add a turbo system with more one off parts in hopes of making 500 horse. I plan on going really fast on this one.......it's just gonna take some time until I get there.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:46:21 PM by isiahstites »
Seek to understand, then to be understood.

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
Re: Project Hayabusa
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
Since finding out that the motor only had 11500 miles on it I have been anxious to get the bike down to the dyno. I was hoping it would make decent power and I was hoping to find out if there were any internal mods done to the motor. After a phone call to Noonan to see what a stock Hayabusa should make (he said 153 hp) for horespower.  I took the bike down to MDR and made a few passes amd was pleased after my runs to know that my motor is good and making 151 hp and 92 ft tq.

I only made a few passes just to test the motor and to get a baseline as I plan on a big tear down of the motor in the future. So far my $2700 Hayabusa is getting sweeter by the day!

Scott

Offline vettester

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:26:13 PM »
Excellent place to start, and the price is right on  nice winter project
All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare......

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:04:14 PM »
nice price  for the busa!! time to start modding :D

Offline Busatized

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:19:44 PM »
Popped my cherry on an 03 just like that! Good luck wit the project
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:18:52 PM by Busatized »

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 06:56:01 PM »
Thanks guys, I look forward to building this bike as well as learning a bunch of new stuff here.

Scott

Offline NOMRLZ

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:32:29 AM »
you might wanna buy a nice cover for the buell once it's done   :lol:

can't wait to see your progress on it  :thumb:

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
you might wanna buy a nice cover for the buell once it's done   :lol:

can't wait to see your progress on it  :thumb:

Actually - you know anyone looking for a Buell?? I figure I can finance a lot of the material costs by selling the Buell.

Scott

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:42:42 PM »
What's your plans with this bike?
Tom

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 12:59:03 PM »
What's your plans with this bike?
Tom

The Busa or the Buell?

Offline NOMRLZ

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:30:53 PM »
got a buddy that is into buells.  gave his wife the XB9R when he paid way too much to have the first Rotax around here this year.

is it strictly a LSR bike   :?:

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:37:24 PM »
got a buddy that is into buells.  gave his wife the XB9R when he paid way too much to have the first Rotax around here this year.

is it strictly a LSR bike   :?:

Strictly an LSR bike....here are a few shots with the fairings

And a couple without the fairing

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:39:01 PM by isiahstites »

Offline NOMRLZ

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
those don't look like my wifes 1205cc cylinders   :lol: 

maybe it's just the paint and wrapped headers that make em look bigger.  nice piece there   :thumb:

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
those don't look like my wifes 1205cc cylinders   :lol: 

maybe it's just the paint and wrapped headers that make em look bigger.  nice piece there   :thumb:

Thanks - I built that bike from the ground up. It isn't a 1200 any more, it is a 1350 with Axtell cyclinders, carrillo rods, big cams, cp one off pistons, big port and valve job, ect, ect, ect............

Scott

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »
The Busa of course  :D

That is a bad azz Buell though :thumb: Baddest one I've seen.

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 01:49:44 PM »

Tom - I am going to do a ground up build. It will be a one off custom turbo Busa. I plan on building as much of the turbo system as I can along with a custom frame designed with LSR only in mind.

Scott

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 02:37:10 PM »

Tom - I am going to do a ground up build. It will be a one off custom turbo Busa. I plan on building as much of the turbo system as I can along with a custom frame designed with LSR only in mind.

Scott
cool  :thumb:

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 11:16:37 PM »
I am planning on racing the busa next weekend at El Mirage so I had some stuff to get ready so it would pass tech.

Well here is where I started today. I had to take the wheels off to balance them and put in metal valve stems.

Finished the saftey wiring

Steering stops

Home made kill switch

I had to put metal valve stems on the wheels

Here is my home made thrity minute battery hold down.

I cut the mud flap, license plate and blinkers off.

I am running with no mufflers so I have to extend them a little to get the exhaust away from my feet.

I cut some exhaust tubing and notched it in 4 places

I will put an exhaust clamp on to hold it in place.

Here is all of the stuff I removed off of the bike today...........I sold a bunch of the stuff I orginally took off of the bike and made about $600, so $2700 Busa is now a $2100 Busa.

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 07:42:28 AM »
 you gotta love a 2100 dollar Busa!! its coming together :thumb:

Offline ltbusa

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 11:48:01 PM »
Grat deal!!

I really like the look of it stripped down like that.
07 Busa-Still mostly stock BUT not for long
73 Sportster (Dead and leaving soon)
75 Sportster Too much to list but on the road soon

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:48 AM »
Well it has been awhile since I last posted on this build...........things have changed quite a bit for me........I went back to school full time to get a degree in business. Needless to say my time with bike is and will be limited. I have been thinning the heard and only have a few bikes left and they will be sold as well, I am going to keep the busa as my one and only bike.

I had big plans for this bike and still do, however they are going to take much longer with school, work, a wonderful 8 month old baby girl and my lovely wife. They all need lots of attention so the bike comes last.

Today I did have a few hours to work on the busa. It was great to be back in the garage turning wrenchs!!

I took the gas tank and air box off so I could get to the plugs and injectors.

I removed the injectors, I am giving them to my friend Kent who is going to send them off to his friend to check them out. It is possible one of them is clogged or blocked as the bike has been running weird.

Took off the radiator and oil cooler as well so I could install my new Yoshimura SS header.

Old header is removed and I am giving it to my friend Kent for all of the help he has and continues to give me.....

Here is what the bike looked like after a few hours

Kent is making me a pan for the seat so I can get my big ass out of the wind and I am going to fill the void in front of the seat with a hand built gas tank.

I have been buying parts to run no2 as well. So far, I have most of the lines, solenoids, bottle, purge systems, fuel pump, and a regulator. I am in the hunt for PCIII or equivelant and a no2 controller. I plan on running stock for a while and maybe by the end of the year I will be able to spray the bike.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:10:07 AM by isiahstites »

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »
I got my new airbox and air ducts from Kent at Airtech and have started the installation process. Looking at my stock box and my stock ducts this should provide a lot more air.

My injectors have been cleaned and calibrated. I had one injector that had a "fair" pattern and was flowing a low volume of fuel. The other three were good, all are now excellent.

Stacks installed

My plan for a fuel tank

The plan in sheet metal

I do not have any tool to bend sheet metal so I cut small grooves where I wanted the bends.

Here is the bottom part of the fuel tank

And the top, it will be a two piece tank

I made four holes with a one inch holesaw and then used a die grinder to complete the job for the filler neck.

Here is the tank with the filler neck welded in. I will wait to weld the rest of the tank until later this week after the rest of my fuel bungs show up.

Here is the tank on the bike

Tank and airbox

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 12:42:37 AM »
It took all week for me to gather all of the small items to make everything come together. It always seems like when I am building a bike it is all of the small special items, misc nuts and bolts that break the bank and take the longest to get.

Got the bracket from the stock seat mounted to the seat pan.

Weather stripping instead around the ducts for a good seal

And the inside as well

The second set of short stacks are installed along with IAT sensor.

New Yosh header installed, along with the oil cooler and radiator

Bodywork is complete from where the previous owner wrecked the bike. I will paint it tomorrow.

To save time I borrowed this tank from my friend Kent at Airtech. This was Noonans old tank, but I do not think it ever made it to a bike as I had to have a bung welded in for the gas cap.

Also had to weld in the flange for the stock pump, my friend Shannon did all of the welding as I suck at welding aluminum.

Stock pump installed

Tank installed! The tank was designed to sit lower, however with the stock pump it made it sit up a few inches so I made spacers to mount the tank to the old tank mount location. It works well and I can get way down on the tank and aribox.

I got the bike fired up today and took it for a test run! I am very happy with the way the bike is running. I hope to get to the dyno before next week so I can flash my ecu and make a few changes. If I have time I will add a dry shot of NOS, which at this point I do not think that is going to happen. The injector cleaning definately helped as the throttle is smooth and crisp, the bike seems more responsive and I believe there is some more power there.

A big thanks to J. Noonan, B. Moreland, K. Riches and R. Nelson for all of there help and support.

Scott

Offline Smokin Ya

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »
Great pics and a very cool build.  Im curios to see what kind of gain youll see on the dyno from the header and cleaned injectors and new air box.  Keep us posted :thumb:

Offline isiahstites

• Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 11:07:37 PM »
I had to cut part of the mid-pipe to accomodate my megaphone. Also welded in the 02 bung for my data logger.

After I finished the bodywork repairs I painted everything.

Front view of the bike

Side shit with everything painted. I still need to make a bracket to support the megaphone. The exhasut sounds mean, but then again all busa's sound mean. I also need to flash the ecu and get down to the dyno.