Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Thinking about getting Carbon Fiber Wheels  (Read 6592 times)

Offline maniacbusa08

• Apprentice Post Whore
Thinking about getting Carbon Fiber Wheels
« on: September 04, 2008, 09:03:32 AM »
Whats your take?   been reading about these Expensive carbon fiber wheels and they sound impressive but can they be trusted?  I know the composite is extremely hard ( thanks to the SCI channel  :D) but is it able to handle whatever comes with different road hazzards whether it be pot holes or the accidental front end wheel slam from coming down wheelie too hard?   average price is arround 3000

here is the description:

BST Carbon Fiber Wheels - Suzuki GSXR1300 (2004-2007)

The BST 5 spoke carbon composite wheel is made using the latest technology, materials and manufacturing processes. This lightweight and exceedingly strong wheel is suitable for both racing and street racing use. The wheels have been tested at Rim Technology, Eurotype Test Centre and German TUV, and passed all the tests for road certification. And most important of all, our wheels are unique in that they are created as a single unit - we dont bond pieces together.

Set includes Front and Rear Wheels
Unique - monococque (single unit) design with 5 hollow spokes and are suitable for both street and race use.
Save you anything between 40- 60 per cent in weight, and more importantly, are designed to deliver the lowest Moment of Inertia - the critical factor that affects the performance of the bike.
Engineered with carbon fibre and maximise on its properties of high strength and low weight.  We have reduced the weight in the spokes and rim without compromising strength. The weight is therefore concentrated in the hub, which means that rotational inertia is reduced, making the bike easier to handle, and allowing you to accelerate quicker and brake later. So not only is the wheel lighter, but it is engineered for maximum performance.
Entire process is managed under ISO9002 standards. BST design the tooling, moulds, wheel and the hubs and manufacture them onsite. Cutting machines such as those used in the aeronautical industry ensure that the process is guaranteed and repeatable to certified high standards. Layup is done in a clean room (dust-free, temperature controlled).
Wheels are cured in an Autoclave at 125 degrees C and 6 bar of pressure. This ensures the best compaction and surface finish.
Carbon fibre that BST use is a woven and unidirectional format, and is embedded in a resin matrix made from toughened epoxy. Pre-preg is used as the machine application of the specific resin systems ensures the most controlled and even application and therefore the highest quality material for use in the BST wheels.
TUV certification for wheels (GSXR1000 front and rears, Ducati 916-998 series and 748 fronts and rears, others in process)
DoT and JWL compliant
Aerospace FAR25 qualified materials
Manufacturing facility is TUV certified, and ISO 9002 compliant
Complete traceability in manufacturing process and materials used including the hubs
Manufacturing process allows for full identification (each has its own Serial No) and traceability (based on the process used for critical parts in the aerospace industry)
Nesting and cutting machines are the same as those used in the aerospace industry - each wheel pattern is cut and the part is numbered simultaneously guaranteeing correctness and uniformity
Wheels passed all tests for road certification carried out by Rim Technology (UK government certified facility) and Investmech test center.
Corner fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.
Radial fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.
Torsional fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.
Impact test carried out as specified in JWL

Offline 112jtp

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • YOU MUST BELIEVE TO ACHIEVE
Re: Thinking about getting Carbon Fiber Wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
i have had my bst rims for bout a year no complaints very light very strong and very nice.this bike is no joke over 207 at maxton,06r1000 on motor. hows that for a test!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:17:15 PM by 112jtp »

Offline maniacbusa08

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
man in your opinion is that money well spent?  im seriously considering it but dont want to make a 3 thousand dollar mistake

Offline Bruce Bohannon

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:32:57 PM »
There is a reasonable used market for these...... so it may not be entirely a $3,000 mistake.   

Offline StreetnTrack

• Restricted
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 02:52:08 PM »
We have sold several sets for the '08 and all the guys love them.

Offline SuperBikeFan08

• Rider
  • Bird Gang MC......Bitch!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »
How much do they weigh compared to stock?
President Obama, I Support Gun Control... I Practice It Everytime I Go To The Range For Target Practice!!! LoL

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
How much do they weigh compared to stock?
I believe a rear is around 6lbs lighter

Offline SuperBikeFan08

• Rider
  • Bird Gang MC......Bitch!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 02:58:59 PM »
$3000 is alot of money for just 6lbs in my opinoin.  Get a turbo if you dont already have one... :thumb:

If I had 3gs to drop on my 08,it would be chrome all under it!!! :lol:

BTW:If anyone has a nice chrome swingarm that will fit my 08,holla at me :wink:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 03:07:23 PM by SuperBikeFan08 »
President Obama, I Support Gun Control... I Practice It Everytime I Go To The Range For Target Practice!!! LoL

Offline Tony B

• Rider
  • 06 GSXR 1000 & 08 Hayabusa
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 02:10:57 AM »
The Carbon Fiber wheels do look nice. But I agree money could be spent making more power

Offline jimmyt1222

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
I'm also considering getting Carbon rims. I'm also considering buying my own private island, and after the purchase of the island is complete I'm going to invest tons of money into curing cancer. Now that I have it all planned out, I just need money. But seriously, I wish I could afford some carbon rims. And before I did that, I would put the 3 grand into a turbo. Good for you considering the carbon rims, If you get em' let us know how you like them. I say, if you have that kind of cake to spend on rims then do it.

Offline 112jtp

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • YOU MUST BELIEVE TO ACHIEVE
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »
 its just a little weight(but it is in the right place)  it is unbelievable how much lighter and more nimble the bike feels by just changing into the BST'S. :smokin:
the money you have to spend to get them is another thing. lll save the turbo mission for another project . with all do respect chrome is a waste of money , it just ads weight and makes you slower especially chrome wheels.  :smokin: :rfl: I want to go fast real fast and i will do what ever it takes . Remember this is a 1000 on motor .i have carrozeria wheels on the busa they just look good not much weight difference.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:45:28 PM by 112jtp »

Offline jettscott

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 07:30:26 PM »
Yeah, so this isn't exactly the same thing, but... after breaking or bending EVERY wheel I tried when I was racing motocross quad, I finally went with Hiper Carbon Fiber wheels and am still on the first set I bought.  I am sure that the manufacturing process has advanced since then, but if I knew that CF wheels for a bike could stand up like my quad's wheels.... I'd have no problem paying that kind of cash for them.   If you can actually justify the need, I'm sure they'd be worth it.

Offline Tony B

• Rider
  • 06 GSXR 1000 & 08 Hayabusa
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »
If the cost isn't an issue then def get them. Heard a lot of good things about the bst's just haven't tried them out yet