Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: '99 with 46,000+ miles  (Read 4039 times)

Offline omgang

• Rider
'99 with 46,000+ miles
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:45 PM »
I'm planning on installing a new clutch over the winter.  I've seen a number of posts regarding cleaning the oil pickup screen to remove clutch material but usually in regards to 'busas that are raced.  The original factory clutch is still in it.  I'll be replacing with a Suzuki clutch (thanks Spencercycle).  Looking for advice.  Do I need to drop the pan and check/clean the pickup screen?

Thanks,
OM Gang

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
Re: '99 with 46,000+ miles
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:49:53 AM »
How bad is the clutch? Is this the first time it will be changed? When you have the clutch apart it will tell you a lot about how much clutch material may or may not be in your pickup screen.
Orient Express Top Street Bike 2011 Season Champ Englishtown NJ

Offline omgang

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 10:39:58 PM »
I've done the fuel pump screens twice then bought a 2000 model pump.  I've checked it once since installing it and the screens look good.  Injectors went to RC Engineering last winter for cleaning/flow testing.

Yes, it's still the original clutch.  I had it apart three years ago and it looked good with no coloring of the steels.  Within the last couple months I've noticed clutch engagement has moved towards the end of lever travel.

I guess I'll order a pan gasket just to be on the safe side.  Is there anything else I need to inspect, or do, while I have the pan off?

Thanks,
OM Gang

Offline omgang

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:39:45 PM »
I've got the pan off (finally).  I disconnected the oil cooler line and will be removing the oil pump pick-up.  Are replacement o-rings something I can find locally at an auto parts store or ?  The fiche shows 20.3 ID for the pickup o-ring but doesn't specify a size for the oil cooler o-ring.  Does anyone know what ID that one is?

Thanks,
OM Gang

Offline omgang

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 10:25:25 PM »
More questions:

I have a set of Barnett clutch springs (yellow).  Should I run the used stock springs, a new set of stock springs, the full set of Barnett springs or some combination?  I've also read posts about shimming the springs with .100 or .180 shims.  The bike never see's the track.

Do I need to soak the fibres over night in engine oil before installation?

Thanks,
OM Gang

Offline RACNRAY

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
The weak link in most jap clutches is in the lack of spring pressure. I am a proponent of installing h.d. springs in any skoot as they will extend the life of the plates due to a reduced risk of clutch slippage.
When i built my Y2K into a 1363 back in Y2K i installed stronger clutch springs. It still has the original plates and the skoot has almost 65,000 miles on it.
Use the Barnett springs, they are just a bit stronger than the stockers.
Soaking the plates overnight is ok.
BTW...i had some customers with over 55,000 mls on their Busaa b4 they were sold or traded with the original clutches, tho they were not drag racing the skoots.
HOPE THIS HELPS
RACNRAY
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:29:45 PM by RACNRAY »
TRUE HAPPINESSS IS RAILIN' MY BUSA IN THE TWISTIES!!

Offline omgang

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:38:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I've got a slave support installed so I should be OK heavier springs.  I've been considering installling 3 of the Barnett springs with three of the factory springs just because I don't want a real heavy clutch pull if I don't need it.

OM Gang