Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: REMEMBERING DAVE OWEN  (Read 33801 times)

Offline TURBO KING

• Fast Rider
  • Post Master
REMEMBERING DAVE OWEN
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »
I am starting a thread for people to post their favorite DaveO stories, pictures or rememberances.

One of my favorite memories of DaveO will be the day I got in the ECTA 200 Club at Maxton in September of 2006.  I had lots of help from DaveO on the tuning end, and lots of help from Scott Guhrie on the riding end.  DaveO gave me his personal 200 Club hat, which I still have.  I wrote on the label the date and Dave's name.  It really meant and means a lot to me.

Then exactly a year later, I remember the day his son Josh got in the 200 Club.  That was a special day, as all of you know who were there.  My first question to Dave was "Do you want your hat back so you can give it to Josh?".  He just started laughing at me, and said "No, Walt, that one's yours, I have another one I'll give him!".

My nickname for him was Obi-Wan, or "OB" for short.  Dave got a kick out of that.  That comes from one very late night (and we've all been there, eh, Todd?) when I called him up, after exhausting every other resource I had.  He picked up the phone and I said "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope!".  I can't tell you how many times I would get a phone call from him, (especially when he knew I was stressing), and I would hear "OB here checking in, what's going on Special K?".  It's hard for me to imagine I won't ever hear that again. 

A week ago a friend called me while I was at a barbecue.  I could hear the panic in his voice, because mine has sounded like that on too many occaisions!  I knew he was getting his bike dynoed that day.  He had one week to go 'till Maxton.  He is one of the smartest people I know and a great wrench.  He barely said hello.  Then, this is a quote: "I need Obi-Wans number!  I'm on the dyno and we can't figure out this electrical gremlin!".  I started laughing and gave it to him.  He told me later, within 30 seconds Dave diagnosed the problem, 3 states away, over the phone!  Unbeleivable.

He recently GAVE me his stock crankshaft off of his bike after I messed up mine.  He wouldn't take any money for it.  So I bought him an American Express gift card in his name instead.  That way he'd HAVE to take it!  He appreciated it.

As I said before, it was always a real dilemma for me when it was dinner time if the if Dave AND the Guthries were in town.  Who do I sit next to?  If I sat next to Dave, I would learn more about engine building, tuning, etc. in 2 hours than I would learn on my own in 2 months.  But if I sat next to Scott & Ellen, I would hear some of the best stories form a lifetime of land speed racing from places like Bonneville, etc., in addition to picking up riding tips and Class strategies.  So, if my bike was running good, I sat next to the Guthries.  If my bike was having issues, I sat next to Dave.  Either way I liked just being around him anyways.  All of us who knew him remember what a great sense of humor he had. 

Speaking of which, I remember the night before Maxton when I was trying to get my ignition kill system to work.  So I kept starting and stopping my bike.  It was 20 degrees out.  I had the garage door open a little bit, but not enough.  The exhaust got sucked into the basement, and set off the CO2 alarm.  This is at 2 AM.  The firetrucks and police come, get everyone out of the house, ventilalte it, etc.  If you could have SEEN the look my wife was giving me from the front seat of that police cruiser with our 2 kids in her lap!  The phrase "If looks could kill" would immediately come to mind!  Of course, I knew Dave was driving down to Maxton at that hour of the night, so after everything calmed down I called him and told him what had happened.  I can still hear him laughing, and telling everyone else in the truck what happened.  I think he made me tell him twice.  Needless to say, by the time I got to Maxton the next day, even the food vendor guy was saying to me "Hey, I heard the fire department was at your house last night!".  Dave loved that story and would frequently kid me about it, or work it into some other joke.  He was the best.

I also recently posted how my son and I went down to Atco Raceway this month to see Dave.  In between his busy schedule of trying to help everyone out, he still found time to take me and my son around to all the top manufacturers like Brock, and all the top riders like the Gadsens.  We got t-shirts, posters, hats autographs, pictures, etc.  Dave made us feel like celebrities down there.  He was in as much demand by the pros at the dragstrip as he is at LSR venues like Maxton and Bonneville.

I will miss you Dave.  I will always remember you and the great times we had.  You were a really good friend.

Walt

« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 04:56:36 AM by TURBO KING »
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard, DaveO, Rick

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: REMEMBERING DAVE OWEN
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:26:31 AM »
He was like the big brother I never had. He believed in me and my abilities and never thought twice about telling me so.

He helped me get here:

and plotted, skeemed and lied to me to surprise me by being here:

You know how much I loved you for being you and being human. This is a hard day, I have no more words, only tears.

Debbie

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 07:52:02 AM »
Great thread. :thumb:

I first started speaking with DaveO about 2 years ago when I decided to go turbo and log/tune my own bike.
 First I had to buy a logger. I didn't know DaveO at all. I didn't even know he sold them on the board until after I had bought one somewhere else. I did a little search here on installations and read that this guy, DaveO, had some instructions on how to wire up the loggers. So I just emailed him and asked for them. I figured all he could say is no and I'd be right back where I was.
 I get this long email explaining how long he's been doing this and helping folks for free and being undersold on loggers because his comp wasn't including instructions, as his did. And at the end of the email he says, "but since I made you read all of this, attached are my instructions. Call me when you getting going, I'll walk you through it." And he left his cell #!
 After the logger was up and running, I ran some logs, emailed them to DaveO and called him. We talked on the phone for a good hour going over my logs. He walked me through logworks and various tuning techniques that he utilizes.
 The guy is irreplaceable IMO.
Thank you DaveO. :thumb:

Offline ironhead

• Legacy Rider
  • Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 08:18:27 AM »
Dave was there when i was able to run my dads bike with the 1507 stroker that dave had built. He gave me all kinds of tips, walked me through the complete run beginning to end. He patted me on the back and told me to take a deep breath before leaving the line. After my first run at i believe 209 when i rolled up he shook my hand and told me about the look on my dads face when they announced the speed. Not only did he calm me down and coach me through the whole event. He made me feel good too. That is priceless. Dave is irreplaceable.
RIP DaveO. You will be missed.
212mph at maxton thanks to DaveO and busa200
03 Black/Silver

Offline dakinebusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
I have been chatting with Dave since he first showed up on the board.
Our talks were always interesting and highly technical.
He gave me some great hints at how to use my LM1 on a bile with a magneto and no ignition supression.
At one point in the early days I bought his used Ti Force pipe that he used at Maxton.
Now that pipe will remind me of him.
Strong and powerful but not too loud!

Aloha Dave!

Offline grecco

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 08:34:00 AM »
DaveO,

I sent you an email from your site about tuning my bike by reflashing my ecm....

i am so so sorry i will never be able to meet you.
what few words we had concerning my bike, i will never forget.
i feel horrible about this.
i lost a good internet friend and only talked to him for a few minutes.

Rest in peace DaveO.

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 08:48:07 AM »
DaveO, a few years ago you dedicated the better part of an evening on the phone teaching me to degree the cams on my bike as I just wasn't getting it.  Once I thought I had it down I tried to get off the phone as to not rob your entire evening...but you insisted and stayed on until I had everything set.

Since then we spoke many times over the last couple of years shooting the breeze, you got me a nice LC1 thars been working great, you very recently helped out greatly in the gear indicator setup with the very bizarre ecu flash that I requested.

Guys I work with who lnow nothing about bikes know who you are through me.  I  look up to you in more way that you know.  I'm grateful for the few years I had the pleasure of knowing you, and will never forget when I met you in Norwalk.

Rest in peace my friend (holding back tears as I type) you will always be remembered.

Greg
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 10:02:49 AM »
To say Dave Owen is irreplaceable is the understatement of the century.  he will be sorely missed by family, friends, and the sport in general :cry:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline GuzziGirl

• New User!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »
My sadness is beyond words. We had spoken so much of the importance of being close to his boys and he was so excited of being able to embrace quality and quantity time by moving  back north... He will be watching you all now... so  you all be carefull out there and remember all his teaching and his love and passions. I have a few pictures to share but I  haven't figured out how to paste/download them  here ... I feel for all of you who knew him and loved him. He will always stay in  our hearts.[

Offline SPEED KING

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »
My sadness is beyond words. We had spoken so much of the importance of being close to his boys and he was so excited of being able to embrace quality and quantity time by moving  back north... He will be watching you all now... so  you all be carefull out there and remember all his teaching and his love and passions. I have a few pictures to share but I  haven't figured out how to paste/download them  here ... I feel for all of you who knew him and loved him. He will always stay in  our hearts.[

GG,

Email them to me at quickturbo@aol.com and I will host and post them for you..please tell us more about how you knew Dave...

Thanks.

John
First sidecar over 200mph @ 218+ also the fastest ever record!
Fastest Open bike over a mile from 2005-2008 @ 259.393
Fastest NAKED record El Mirage @ 240+ come get some!
Fastest bike ever at ELMO 240.197  "NAKED BABY"
Congrats to Richard Assen 260.7

Offline BLUR AKA SIDEWAYS AKA KING OF SOUTH FLORIDA

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 07:49:52 PM »
One of the moments I remember most was one night I was having trouble with my Datalogger. I called Dave and left a message. He called me back a few minutes later and didnt sound to good. I asked him what was wrong and he said he had a migraine headache and had been in bed for two days. I told him just to call me back when he felt better. He said no. I said yes just call me when you feel better. He insisted we figure it out. He talked me through it even though he was in so much pain that he would stop talking mid sentence because it hurt so much. I almost hung up on him because I felt bad but it was like helping me was really important to him.....and it was. He even called me back that night to make sure it was solved. This is the Dave I knew and Im sure many of you knew. Not only one of the best people in the motorcycle world...but in the world because I know this must have been how he carried himself in his personal life.

Miss you Dave

William

Offline busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 10:47:18 PM »
I REMEMBER EARILER THIS YEAR WHEN I STARTED FLASHING MY STOCK ECU I WAS A BIT HESITANT TO TAKE THE BIKE OUT BECAUSE I DID'NT KNOW WHAT WAS GOING ON WITH THE AIR FUEL RATIO, SO I CALL DAVE TOLD HIM MY CONCERN, THIS WAS LATE IN THE AFTER NOON AND HE WAS GETTING READY TO GO TO THE RACE'S HE TOLD ME HE WAS WORKING WITH BROCK AND RICKEY THAT WEEKEND, WHEN I CAME HOME FROM WORK I HAD AN EMAIL WITH A TRACKING NUMBER FROM INNOVATE DAVE HAD THEM SEND ME A DL-32, 2 XD-16, LC1 AND A PRESSURE TRANDUCER. I HAVE NEVER MET DAVE JUST TALK ON THE PHONE AND OVER THE NET, THEN HE SEND ME AN EMAIL WHEN HE GOT BACK FROM THE RACE THAT I CAN JUST SEND HIM A CHECK, HE WOULD NOT LET ME PAY HIM WITH PAYPAL BECAUSE HE WANTED ME TO SAVE ON THE FEES. TO SAY THE LEASE I WAS MORE THAN SUPRISE..WE STAY IN CONTACT AFTER THAT HELPING ME TUNE MY BIKE AND FLASHING THE ECU, WHEN EVER I FOUND ANYTHING NEW IN TESTING THE ECU I WOULD LET HIM KNOW...I CONSIDER DAVE A DEAR FRIEND, YOU WILL BE MISS BY MANY, MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I NEVER GET TO ME YOU FACE TO FACE HOPEFULLY WE WILL IN THE NEXT LIFE..
DWIGHT     

Offline Team Millholland

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:17:46 AM »

We just rolled in from Maxton late last night, first time in eight years of going we came home sad.
This thread is perfect because so many people will have great stories and they need to be shared to the folks who never got the opportunity to meet or know Dave'O.

We've known Dave since he was helping Brock out with the Suzuki 600 SS team and Chad was racing for Kawasaki. The last couple of years we've been fortunate enough to have gotten to know him better, not just as a racer but as a person and a friend.
Everyone here know's what a fierce competitor he was but some may not know how much of a caring father he was. For those that were there when Josh made the 200 Club they can relate when I say that was Dave's proudest moment of racing. We talked of the father/son bond often and he was stoked to be moving back to spend more time with the boys.

Dave'O was so much more than a racer, tuner, builder and coach........he was a great guy that loved the competition that racing brings. Saying he will be missed is such an understatement.
I've already read on other post from different forums of how he spent time (that he usually didn't have) helping folks out, that was Dave. It didn't matter if you were a paying customer or somebody that he didn't know he would make time for you. He was such a gifted and talented man, our sport is so much better because of Dave's involvement.

Above is some shot's from the June meet........except for the last one and that's my way of thinking about Dave smiling down on us.
He called last week wanting me to bring my leathers for Josh to borrow and before he hung up he said " Only give Chad rice cakes and water for the next 48 hours, we've got an all-motor record to take".  They never got the chance but we sure have the memories.

GodSpeed Dave'O, may you Race In Paridise and Rest In Peace. You will be missed our friend.
Dan & family

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »
I'm dazed, sick in the gut, still can't believe it. RIP DaveO.

At the last meet a big group of us went to dinner at Capt Larry's and I sat next to Dave, we talked about Prostar mostly, and about all the folks he's tuned for and helped to win. Such an incredible loss for all of us.

Dean

Offline Team Millholland

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »
Here's a picture from that evening Dean with Dave'O next to you. What a group that night with Charlie to his left, the Texas Gang, Sal, Vincent, Deb & Todd and so many more. I'm glad we've got a bunch of photo's over the years......so many great people.

Dan

Offline 1197Kaw

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 03:54:45 PM »
This is the day I first met Dave. He gave me a kick in the but and got me to focus on what I was doing. I just installed a data logger and made not one but two passes without turning it on.

This is one of the proudest most satisfying days I have ever had. At the time these were the fastest all motor bikes to run at maxton. Each tuned by Dave.

I am struggling to digest what has happened. It does not seem possible.
E.C.T.A. 200 Club (All Motor)

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »
I tap this with watery eyes.

Like many folks I "met" Dave on this forum quite a while ago.

Also, like many folks, I was amazed that the fastest NA guy in the world was VERY attentive my lil issues.

Dave sought me out at a Memphis Prostar to say hi and i couldn't believe how he took the time to pay attention to a nobody, me.  Then Dave somehow kinda adopted my "program" and issues with my junkyard 1427 ZX12, often calling me out of the blue with solutions.  The top of the mountain Busa guy calling a Kwak guy with advice.  Whatta guy!

A couple years ago, I was pestering Dave about how I could pay him back for all his help.
"Karl, this isn't about money, this is about friendship"

Since I couldn't pay him money, I called his house at a time when I knew he wasn't there and introduced myself to Lauren.  She arranged a day where Dave would be at home and take surprise delivery of a giant live 15# lobster.  Lobster for the Owen family!

When he came to the Texas Mile last March, Dave made 4 passes on my heap while Charlie was burning up the track with his DaveO built & tuned Busa.
(don't ask what the guy was doing to the chik in blue w/his right hand, its a "Texas Mile" thing...)

I feel sooooooooooooooooo fortunate to been able to yak with him last week end at Maxton

Like other folks have said, Dave was absolutely one of a kind.

Like something being ripped outa yr guts.

Bye Dave, good bye.

Karl
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:54:43 PM by entropy »
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 06:51:17 PM »
I tap this with watery eyes.

Like many folks I "met" Dave on this forum quite a while ago.

Also, like many folks, I was amazed that the fastest NA guy in the world was VERY attentive my lil issues.

Dave sought me out at a Memphis Prostar to say hi and i couldn't believe how he took the time to pay attention to a nobody, me.  Then Dave somehow kinda adopted my "program" and issues with my junkyard 1427 ZX12, often calling me out of the blue with solutions.  The top of the mountain Busa guy calling a Kwak guy with advice.  Whatta guy!

A couple years ago, I was pestering Dave about how I could pay him back for all his help.
"Karl, this isn't about money, this is about friendship"

Since I couldn't pay him money, I called his house at a time when I knew he wasn't there and introduced myself to Lauren.  She arranged a day where Dave would be at home and take surprise delivery of a giant live 15# lobster.  Lobster for the Owen family!

When he came to the Texas Mile last March, Dave made 4 passes on my heap while Charlie was buring up the track with his DaveO built & tuned Busa.

I feel sooooooooooooooooo fortunate to been able to yak with him last week end at Maxton

Like other folks have said, Dave was absolutely one of a kind.

Like something being ripped outa yr guts.

Bye Dave, good bye.

Karl
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:11 PM »
Unfortunately it was a sad day at Maxton losing Dave !! Dave was a sincere highly skilled racer,tuner,builder and all around motorcycle enthusiast. At first we planned on just going home very sad, we had the bikes tied down and everthing. But someone from above told us to leave our trailer there over night. So after we heard what Josh said and did Sat afternoon (as strong as superman)
 we returned Sunday morning and Mark and i back the truck up and were ready to hitch up and somebody from above again!! said where you going you have records to set, Steve i didn't come up there to tune your bike for nothing!! and btw thanks for the pancakes!
So Mark and i unloaded and we set 3 records on 3 runs. So he tuned us for 3 records without even being there, now thats a tuner!
Dave you will be truely missed!! God bless you and your family. GODSPEED!!!!! Steve,Mark and Larry! Nobodys taking your record i'll make sure of it!

My record is your record!!!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 08:04:15 PM by knecum »

Offline __NATE__

• Post Master
  • Corpus Christi Tx
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 09:56:55 PM »
Man its so hard to read all these story's with out tearing up I met him for a brief second at the Texas mile and wish I could have had more dealings but he is one of a kind....

PLZ IF YOU HAVE MORE PICS OF DAVE PLZ POST THEM I DONT CARE IF ITS JUST DAVES BACK STANDING WITH YOU AT THE STARTING LINE WELL TAKE IT.....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 09:59:29 PM by __NATE__ »
07 BLACK BUSA..
Don't lend out your wife or your bike, someone will throw a rod in either one of them...

Offline Team Millholland

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 10:30:20 PM »

Charlie and Dave, look how focused those two are!
What a team with Charlie riding and Dave tuning.
Like the rest of us Charlie is hurting, he knew him so well.
Dan

Offline MET

• Post Master
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 10:59:28 PM »
I met Dave about 7 years ago, on a Busa run in CT.  We had fun that day pushing the bikes.  We became friends that day and forever.  I have many many stories over the years.  Dave and I always kept in contact even when we were both moving around to different states.  Too many stories to write at the moment, because I am still in shock about lossing a good friend.

Dave I will miss you, as a fact I already do.

Mike

Offline TURBO KING

• Fast Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 11:45:13 AM »
This picture is from Kathy Souza, a good friend of Dave's. 

"I took this picture  2 summers ago at Joe Beloli's wedding in Taunton, MA.  This crew of guys have been friends with Dave for soooooo long.  They all use to ride together, go to Daytona, and many other things.  This was his bike family in MA."

Top Row from left:
    Dave O, Dave Paiva, Joe Beloli, Joey King, Nelson, Craig Faria
Bottom Row from left
     Ronnie Oliveira, Bubba, Stevie
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard, DaveO, Rick

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 12:09:38 PM »
WOW! Dave with long pants!  :bah: Shocking!

:D

Debbie

Offline DaveOfriend

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 12:15:48 PM »

This picture was taken in my fiance's dumptruck of Dave and one of his many close friends Joe at the 2001 Taunton Christmas Parade! Dave was not just competitive in Racing but him and Lauren did everything they could do get Dave and I first place in our first parade. By the way, we did get first place that year. Dave helped with wiring up the trailor for sound, waxing trucks, painting, and anything else under the sun. Enjoy the pictures to come from MA kathy

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:20:36 PM by DaveOfriend »
REST IN PEACE DAVE O
I WILL MISS YOU TERRIBLY!