Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: REMEMBERING DAVE OWEN  (Read 33796 times)

Offline DaveOfriend

• Rider
Re: REMEMBERING DAVE OWEN
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 12:50:43 PM »

Dave and Joe looking out from inside the dumptruck of the finished product.  The only reason why they are up there is because they want to play with the double barrelled air guns that dave, dave, and joe built to blow out snow and parachute men!   :lol:
REST IN PEACE DAVE O
I WILL MISS YOU TERRIBLY!

Offline DaveOfriend

• Rider
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »

Josh is bent over with his friend trying to see if he can get this Flinstone car to go faster.....LOL  I know these pics have nothing to do with bikes but at least you guys can get a good laugh at some of the things that Dave and Josh did out here in MA.  I think Josh was only 12 in this picture and Jake is sitting behind them.  Josh is going to smack me when he sees me for posting these

Kathy
REST IN PEACE DAVE O

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »
Here's two from this weekend that Todd snapped on his phone.

Just an average morning in the pits. Josh by his bike Dave in the background doing his thing. {sigh}

This one is funny and typical DaveO humor. Josh had a checklist on his bike (left side). Something Todd and I always like to see. Daddy Dave decided Josh needed one more reminder (right side)!!!

:)

Debbie

Offline atticdog

• Post Master
  • RIP DaveO my friend
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »

Dave's bike outside Vanson Leathers in Fall River MA April 2006
01 Black/Silver,08 GSXR fork/wheels, Pyramid DB, Corbin seat, gsxr1K footpegs, spedo healer, PCIII USB, 6 over Trac arm and Boosted!!

Offline atticdog

• Post Master
  • RIP DaveO my friend
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 09:34:03 PM »
01 Black/Silver,08 GSXR fork/wheels, Pyramid DB, Corbin seat, gsxr1K footpegs, spedo healer, PCIII USB, 6 over Trac arm and Boosted!!

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2008, 12:59:12 PM »
 DaveO, had some instructions on how to wire up the loggers. So I just emailed him and asked for them. I figured all he could say is no and I'd be right back where I was.
 I get this long email explaining how long he's been doing this and helping folks for free and being undersold on loggers because his comp wasn't including instructions, as his did. And at the end of the email he says, "but since I made you read all of this, attached are my instructions. Call me when you getting going, I'll walk you through it." And he left his cell #!
 After the logger was up and running, I ran some logs, emailed them to DaveO and called him. We talked on the phone for a good hour going over my logs. He walked me through logworks and various tuning techniques that he utilizes.
 The guy is irreplaceable IMO.
Thank you DaveO. :thumb:
[/quote]         

Damn this sounds so much like Dave's personality (humor)................. :( :(

Offline DaveOfriend

• Rider
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2008, 03:21:36 PM »
I just thought of another good story that will make all of you crack up with his humor.

As you know Dave and I use to plow together at night.  Him and Lauren live up next to my parents and so he use to stop by there to plow my 82 year old dad out.  Dave knew if he didn't stop there, my father would be out in the middle of the night shoveling, as he caught him many times doing....LOL..My father and him use to fight all the time about money because Dave wouldn't let him pay for his service.  One night during a nasty snow storm Dave keyed me up on his nextel as he usually did to find out if I was up and out plowing. 

He said, "Hey Punk, you up!"  My response was "Of course I'm up dope, I've been up for 3 hours out here already, where has your old Fart ass been!"  Sleeping of course...LOL

He said, I just got the worst sight of my life!  I was like why what happened.  He said I went by your Dad's house to plow and of course he came running out to catch me to pay me like he always does and he was in his long john skivies.  The man actually chased me out the driveway and down Rte 138 in his underware....ROFLMAO  I laughed so fricken hard at him.

He said, "Your fathers a trip but I think he's going see nyle....I know I spelled that wrong.

I'm still laughing my ass off as I type this.

When I told my Dad on Saturday what happened, he welled up with tears and he was all choked up!  He just stopped by he and he reminded me of this story as Dave always teased him about that.  My father thought the world of Dave because he said it's not too often now adays you come by someone so thoughtful.

Aaaaah uplifting stories.
Kat
REST IN PEACE DAVE O

Offline __NATE__

• Post Master
  • Corpus Christi Tx
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2008, 03:30:47 PM »
Thats awsome KAT ty for sharing the story dave had to be and is one of a kind in my book :thumb: :thumb:
07 BLACK BUSA..
Don't lend out your wife or your bike, someone will throw a rod in either one of them...

Offline __NATE__

• Post Master
  • Corpus Christi Tx
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »

Ty for any and all Photos you guys and Gals are posting PLZ post more .....
07 BLACK BUSA..
Don't lend out your wife or your bike, someone will throw a rod in either one of them...

Offline shanegsxr

• New User!
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:01 PM »
I am shocked to hear about Dave,   this isn't much of a story but back many years ago up at New England Dragway first time I met Dave I was in front of him going down the strip and then I saw him to my left passing me, so, I gave him the #1 finger wave.  Then we were back in pits taking off the helmets and we were both cracking up he asked "what were you doing up at the top of the track when I was going by " . I told him "I was a little upset I was in front the whole track then you passed me so, I was giving you the finger".  Everytime he passed me it was the friendly gesture. He would wave with 5 fingers and I would with 1.  It was just how we became friends.   From that day on we just laughed about that moment at the track how him and I became buddies.  If I saw him at other tracks he would introduce me as dont pass Shane he'll give you the wave!!! And we both would laugh with him giving me a comfort pat on the back. With that biggest smile
He will be missed up here in NH

prayers go out to all family and friends

Offline nickelcityracing

• Post Master
    • nickelcityracing.com
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 07:20:35 PM »
thanks for all the help Dave, you were a good man and helped alot of people...here is a few pics of when he helped Trillium with Brocks 08 busa...

RIP Dave....  Jody and Trillium
Trillium Muir  241.3 mph
Jody-242.2 mph
Thanks RCC-JE-MTC-Elka-Canadian Mike-Suzuki Canada-Pazzo-Brocks-Hindle-North Bay cycle-Crower Rods

Offline Dash

• Rider
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »
Richie, DaveO and me at SGMP.

In the lanes at Atco, Dave saying Darren, focus and just breath........... that pass was the quickest and fastest lap I had made at the time.....we had just installed an Innovative LM-1 and one of Dave's progressive FI enrichener boxes for the dry nitrous. 

Thanks DaveO !!!

Is it fast?

Offline Texanzone

• Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 09:44:09 PM »
March 08 Texas Mile

Offline FastGixx

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2008, 10:20:11 PM »
Some of my Bestest friends.

Left to right :  Scott, myself, John, Jim, and Dave..

All were so very proud of me when I finally had a decent pass on my old bike.

:cry: :cry:  :cry:

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 06:17:07 AM »
I have so many amazing "Dave O" stories I would love to share with all of you, and I will, but most of all I want you all to know how grateful the boys and I are for everything. Every donation, every kind word, every great story, EVERYTHING! Dave was an amazing person, He has been my best friend for over 22 years no matter what.  He loved you all...the emails, the phone calls at all hours of the day and night, he lived for that! He used to take me to Starbucks on Sunday mornings, just him, me and the cell phone.  We would get our coffee and sit in our favorite chairs in the corner.......and then the phone would ring. Depending on the degree of panic of the person on the other end of the phone, he would walk them thru the dilemma, or tell them he would call back once he got back to the shop. He probably had 4 or 5 calls to return by the time we got home LOL! What ever the case I was more than happy to share this incredible person with all of you. We are all better to have known a guy like "Dave O" Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything!

Lauren
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 06:20:10 AM by DaveO »
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2008, 06:35:22 AM »
I have so many amazing "Dave O" stories I would love to share with all of you, and I will, but most of all I want you all to know how grateful the boys and I are for everything. Every donation, every kind word, every great story, EVERYTHING! Dave was an amazing person, He has been my best friend for over 22 years no matter what.  He loved you all...the emails, the phone calls at all hours of the day and night, he lived for that! He used to take me to Starbucks on Sunday mornings, just him, me and the cell phone.  We would get our coffee and sit in our favorite chairs in the corner.......and then the phone would ring. Depending on the degree of panic of the person on the other end of the phone, he would walk them thru the dilemma, or tell them he would call back once he got back to the shop. He probably had 4 or 5 calls to return by the time we got home LOL! What ever the case I was more than happy to share this incredible person with all of you. We are all better to have known a guy like "Dave O" Thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything!

Lauren

Lauren,
I have never met you but I do feel some of the pain you and yr boyz are going through.  We'll all miss Dave terribly.

One thing:  did you say Dave was calling and receiving calls from more folks than just me?  :wink:
He always made me feel that my tiny issues were #1 on his list.

the lobsterman
Karl
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008, 07:10:51 AM »
Dave always answered any and all of my questions, and if he didn't answer he would call back. When he called it was, "What's going on Thomas? Dave here"  then I would ask if he was busy, and he always was, just got home from this track, getting ready for the next track. Always gave his advise, same way at the track even when he was there with Charlie. He wanted Charlie to get that record and he didn't want to ride the bike because he didn't want to take anything away from Charlie. When we talked about my bike he always mentioned Walt and Walt's bike, he cared for you a lot. He told my wife all about Josh and how proud he was of him. Keep your heads up and know he's in a better place, I know it's hard. Hopefully, everyone keeps donating  :thumb:

Offline SLEEPERBUSA

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »
I've never been so messed up over a man that I've never met in person.  :grn:
I had the chance to meet him in Texas the time when he was here, and I missed that race.
A move that I will forever regret!  :cry:
I knew he was a busy guy, so I tried to make my calls short. Short to the point that I even forgot some things that I needed to ask.
 Like Tom said, he was always busy.
I would ask, are ya busy, I can call at another time. He would say, There is no good time, what ya got?
You guys and gals that have actually been fortunate enough to shake the man's hand, feel honored, not all of us were that lucky! :thumb:
208.6mph/ Texas Mile. 10/24/2010

Online busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2008, 09:19:52 PM »
IT'S SO HARD FOR ME TO READ THESE POST WITH OUT TEARING, DAVEO WAS ONE OF A KIND AND HE WILL BE DEARLY MISS BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN... :cry: I WAS GOING THROUGH MY PHONE TODAY AND AT THE TOP OF MY PHONE BOOK WAS DAVEO CELL NUMBER I SAT THERE LOOKED AT IT AND REMEMBER FEELING BAD ABOUT CALLING HIM ALL THE TIME, SO I WOULD  JUST TEXT HIM INSTEAD KNOWING HE WOULD CALL ME RIGHT BACK..."DAVE MY FRIEND I MISS YOU MORE AND MORE EACH DAY"   

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 08:18:49 AM »
Here's the story that goes along with one of the pictures I posted above. I had written this on another board a couple of weeks ago where we are recounting our very first visit to the Bonneville Salt Flats during Speed Week 2008. A trip I was trying to make happen for 5 years and a trip Todd was trying to make happen for over 30 years.

Quote from: DahMurf
So we're chatting & rolling up in line and I'm looking around taking pictures and stuff and all of sudden I'm doing a double take!   Then I'm running down the line yelling like an idiot because I've spotted none other then DaveO!!! Now this brat never told us he was going to Speed Week! He was sending me weird messages all week but I couldn't really figure it out!!! Well now that I'm seeing him it all makes sense! He knew he was coming but kept everyone quiet about it so he could surprise us!!! Now you have to understand, Dave is like my big brother. If you would have asked me who is the one person (other then Todd of course) that you would want to be there at Speed Week that would have made it absolutely perfect, I would have said DaveO!! Like how cool is this!!! Once Todd figure out why I was running around like a lunatic he snapped our pic!

What I love most about this picture is the giant smile on his face! That was one of those whole body I'm happy to be here at this moment in time smiles. I swear I could have knocked him down when I ran over to hug him! I was just so excited to see him!

My heart still aches but I can't help but smile when I see his smiling face in this picture. I will miss you deeply my friend and it has nothing at all to do with bikes!
Debbie

Offline Anton

• Post Master
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2008, 12:20:13 AM »
Love you Dave! Awesome person, Rest in Peace!

Offline jasontmc

• Post Whore
    • We all know one.
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2008, 11:50:15 PM »
My best memories of Dave will be from Speedweek in August 2008.

Dave came out to Bonneville last minute to help tune our busas.

I had never met Dave but i had heard nothing but good things about him. To say i was looking forward to working with Dave was an understatement.

Unfortunately one of our busas wasnt running and we were 8 hours late getting away from the shop. Dave met us in the back parking lot of the hotel at 11pm. Dave chewed me out for not having the bikes fully prepped. Dave also told us that he was used to working out of a transporter.  I told Dave "This is Bonneville friend and that rusty open trailer is our transporter!"
Dave replied  by singing a sweet banjo  tune. I rebutted with a goat noise that Dave apparently knew courtesy of Richard!!

Throughout the week Daves phone never stopped ringing. Ecu reflash questions, DL32 wiring info, tuning info it never ended.
No was not in Dave's vocabulary.

The entire week of racing was a blur and there was many good meals courtesy of Scott and Ellen Guthrie and plenty of lively conversation between the crew.

We ended up setting 5 records including the fastest Bonneville open bike record ever at 253.297mph.

Dave was also there comforting my father and crew after my crash. We had a great time with Dave and i was looking forward to continuing our relationship in the following years.

I was going to call Dave on the friday before the Maxton meet but it was getting late with the time change and i didn't call. There was many things i wanted to talk to Dave about but these will have to wait until we meet again.

As many of Dave's friends and family struggle to come to grips with the loss of Dave hopefully we can all take some solice in the fact that Dave helped many people and made a huge difference in his chosen field.

He was a great man, father and friend.

Take care Dave,

Your friend
The fastest banjo playing canadian,
Jason!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:52:40 PM by jasontmc »
Sponsored by: CATALYST COMPOSITES, RCC Turbos,
Scott Guthrie Racing, Helmet House, NJK Leathers, Atomic Speedware, Innovate, Bridgestone, Dumonde tech oils, Spider grips, Boost by Smith, Worldwide Bearings.

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 09:33:07 PM »
So I took my busa out for the first time since this all happened. It was good and bad and fun and scary all at the same time but it needed done. Nothing like twisting the wick on the highway on ramp to put your balls in your throat and remind you just how very alive you are!  :thumb: It still needs some more doing but I'm going to take it slow & do it at my pace. This has hit me a lot deeper then my own wreck.  :? I'll go on to ride and I'll go on to race but right now, I'm just taking a step back and taking my time to absorb all that has come with this.

Ironically I do some of my best, clearest thinking while I'm riding. It sounds like the last place you should be distracted by thinking but somehow that heightened sense of awareness gives me a clear path to think.

Well anyway my thoughts wandered to some great DaveO memories. One that I hold dear is how much he believed in my abilities to ride. Not quite enough to let me ride HIS bike, :twisted: but enough so that he pitched me as a rider for another team. In fact, Friday night at dinner he reiterated that to me. "You should have been riding that bike and I told them that". Wow, is there any greater compliment? I always said to hubby I'll know I made it as a racer the day DaveO lets me ride his bike! LOL  We all knew that was like asking to take out his teenage daughter! lol (no he doesn't have a teenage daughter, it's a figure of speech) If you read back through old posts you'll see me continually torment him with "when you gonna let me ride your bike?" It was an ongoing joke with us. I actually really didn't want to ride his bike nor did I feel confident enough to even seriously ask. I would have been a ball of nerves if I ever did knowing how much he cherished his bike!

But at any rate, all of those thoughts led me back in my memories from earlier this year on an unbelievable offer Dave made to me. I thought I'd share it with y'all cause it's a testament to how giving he was! He knew how hard I was working to get into the 2 club. He knew I really wanted to do it on my bike. We were all pretty sure I could get it done but there was always that chance I'd suffer an unrecoverable melt down. His offer to me was if I couldn't get it done with what I had that he was willing to pull his engine out of his bike and let me put it in mine to ride and get in the 2 club. I was absolutely astounded when he offered! He did all this thinking and checking on his own to come up with a backup plan for me. I really didn't have a back up plan. This was a make or break thing for my bike. I knew if I melted it down the game was over so we gave it our best shot. I just can't even put into words how big that was for him to offer me the use of the heart of his bike. Wow! I loved Dave like a big brother and I know he loved me back just the same. I miss him but I'll never forget what a big heart he had!

Debbie
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 08:47:05 AM by DahMurf »

Offline DaveO

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:06 AM »
Hello All...

Still having a really hard time putting into words all things I want to say to everyone, but please know the boys and I thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for everything you have all done for us, and for eachother. We think of you all as our extended family! Man, I remember the first time we pulled into Maxton,,,,I thought what are we doing here??? Everytime after that it was,,,Do we have to go home already! And the first time I met Brock in Atco. From everything Dave had told me about him I imagined this guy larger than life....and here comes this little bald PUNK (whom I love by the way). That is why they say you can't judge a book by its cover! It is amazing what you can accomplish in life....For those of you who have never been here, Dave did almost all his work from our tiny basement. His friends from the area used to call it the Pentagon! You had to have clearance to get into the basement because of all the secrets going on! He did not have a fancy shop, or a shiny showroom. Just a tool box, a lift(that friends bought for him) and a huge love for what he did and the people he met along the way! Thanks for sharing your stories! Believe me I have many more to share!

Lauren
220.312 at Maxton...ALL MOTOR

www.NewLimitsTuning.com

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Offline narider

• Post Whore
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2008, 07:54:10 AM »
Hello All...

Still having a really hard time putting into words all things I want to say to everyone, but please know the boys and I thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for everything you have all done for us, and for eachother. We think of you all as our extended family!

We can hear and feel your words whether you're writing them or not, so take your time... but you can bet we all cherish everytime we see something come in from you. 
You're a sweetheart Lauren, and we all love you guys (none as much as me.. but hey) ;-)
Todd