Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: How much do shops usually charge for the following..  (Read 11605 times)

Offline Nakedbusa

• Rider
Re: How much do shops usually charge for the following..
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 01:38:51 PM »
Brake pads and fluid and whatever else needs to be changed w/ brakes       Factory brakes are $40.00 each for the front and $30.00 for the rear EBC HH fronts are $38.00 and the standard rear are $28.00  Labor is $45.00 for the front and $37.50 for the rear. Flush is $37.50 for brakes and clutch and the fluid is $7.00 for the factory Suzuki or I carry the Motul for a little more.

oil filter and oil     Oil filter is $10.00 for a factory Suzuki filter and oil starts at $4.50 a qt for Suzuki 10W40  labor is 30.00

sparkplugs     $5.00 each and $75.00 labor

airfilter     Factory Suzuki filter is $35.00  K&N is $75.00  No labor charge if we do plugs, $37.50 if its only the filter

battery     Yuasa battery is going for $90.00  Chinese battery (not reccomended) about $50.00  battery tender $35.00  No labor for battery install

coolant fluid     A complete flush with Suzuki Antifreeze $18.00 per half gallon, Engine Ice at $17.00 per half gallon or the Maxima Coolanol at $15.00 per half gallon. Labor is around $75.00 
                       The cooling system should be flushed every 2 years to keep it from eating the system.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 01:40:44 PM by Nakedbusa »

Offline Steve@OrientExpress

• SITE SPONSOR
  • Rider
    • Orient Express Racing
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 04:21:06 PM »
Ok, but I warned you...

A long time ago, I wrote this for the ZRX owners. Then, I wrote it again as an article for Road Bike Magazine. Basic brake bleeding...

http://www.zrxoa.org/webpages/techinfo/brake/bleedbrakes.html

Now, as mentioned above, when replacing pads, it is very important to clean the pistons BEFORE pushing them back in. An old toothbrush, some simple green and water, or some brake clean (quality brand, not the cheap stuff that will strip paint) works well for loosening up the crud. Clean until spotless.

When you push the pistons back into the calipers, that fluid needs to go somewhere. Chances are, it will go up, and over fill the reservoir on the master cylinder. So, using a Mity Vac if you have one, or a paper towel if not, soak up 1/2 the old fluid that is in there first, to make some room for what is coming up. Keep an eye on it as you go, so fluid does not pour out every where - it WILL eat your paint and ruin the finish on most surfaces. Or, you can attach a hose to the bleeder, crack it open, and push it out that way... but might be harder to do if you are alone... Whatever is clever.

The whole reason you clean first is to A) avoid damage to the dust and fluid seals and B) avoid excess contamination of the brake fluid and system with dirt/dust.

I would use the old pads to push the pistons back - don't risk damage to the pistons with a screwdriver.

Avoid compressed air around the caliper and piston seals. Chances are it will blow past and put air and crap in the system.

One of the best fluids on the market right now is Motul RBF 600. About $15 for a pint, and very high wet boiling point. Only some super expensive Castrol SRF is perhaps better ($80+ per quart!). One pint is all you need. Regardless, wet boiling point is what you need to look for - the higher the better. AVOID any DOT 5.0 fluids (silicone) they are not compatible with the system on your bike, and the water issue can lead to caliper, master cylinder and slave cylinder issues (clutch). You can safely use DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids, and DOT 5.1 is ok.

And finally - one of the best brake system upgrades you can do is a set of high quality braided stainless steel brake lines with fresh fluid. Orient Express is pleased to offer the superb Spiegler line of brake lines. In stock today, and available in a range of custom colors (may require a short wait). Spiegler braided stainless brake lines make your lever feel firm, and help to communicate what is happening to your fingers better when you squeeze. They do this by eliminating flex and expansion under pressure, and by transferring more of the applied pressure at the lever directly to the calipers.

The next best is a good bleed - before every time I go to the track :-)

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Steve@OrientExpress.com
http://www.orientexpress.com

I'm here to help - please email me with any questions for quickest reply!

Offline BLUR AKA SIDEWAYS AKA KING OF SOUTH FLORIDA

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »
Brakes are so over rated.

Offline TT32VGT

• Rider
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
Brake pads and fluid and whatever else needs to be changed w/ brakes       Factory brakes are $40.00 each for the front and $30.00 for the rear EBC HH fronts are $38.00 and the standard rear are $28.00  Labor is $45.00 for the front and $37.50 for the rear. Flush is $37.50 for brakes and clutch and the fluid is $7.00 for the factory Suzuki or I carry the Motul for a little more.

oil filter and oil     Oil filter is $10.00 for a factory Suzuki filter and oil starts at $4.50 a qt for Suzuki 10W40  labor is 30.00

airfilter     Factory Suzuki filter is $35.00  K&N is $75.00  No labor charge if we do plugs, $37.50 if its only the filter

battery     Yuasa battery is going for $90.00  Chinese battery (not reccomended) about $50.00  battery tender $35.00  No labor for battery install

coolant fluid     A complete flush with Suzuki Antifreeze $18.00 per half gallon, Engine Ice at $17.00 per half gallon or the Maxima Coolanol at $15.00 per half gallon. Labor is around $75.00 
                       The cooling system should be flushed every 2 years to keep it from eating the system.

wheres your shop at?

Offline Nakedbusa

• Rider
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 06:04:44 PM »

wheres your shop at?

I'll shoot you a PM. If I say on the open board I get my hand slapped.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 06:45:25 PM »

wheres your shop at?

I'll shoot you a PM. If I say on the open board I get my hand slapped.
Your prices seem fairly reasonable, considering your west coast, i geuss thats why you may have work and some others do not :thumb:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline TT32VGT

• Rider
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »
well I was just gonna bring it to cycle center, they sell suzuki motorcycles, but you speak highly of Mattei's Cycle Supply
 so I guess I should check them out. 
Just did a little search and found this:
Mattei's Cycle Supply
5479 Crowder Blvd
New Orleans, LA 70127-2901
Phone: (985) 290-1582

stand up guy for sure. just called him and hes gonna throw on a new tire and change the battery along with going through the bike.

thanks!!

Offline 07vigorblue

• Restricted
  • Rider
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 01:54:56 AM »
just do it yourself i think every one should learn how to do basic maitnence on their bike
My cell incase anyone should want to call me is 812-498-5956 (larry)
1 Smokin HOT fiance named Brittani
07 BUSA, TRE,Yosh Ti Race Header w/ single stubby,sm.air box mod,soupys drop kit,drk. smoke DB,BMC race filter,PC3,pair delete,grab rail hump mod,blk

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 06:49:17 PM »
just do it yourself i think every one should learn how to do basic maitnence on their bike
We have gone over this several times, some guys are just not comfortable doing there own work, and should not be faulted for it
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
Steve, do you stock Galfer lines?
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline TT32VGT

• Rider
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
Don't bother with the dealership. You have Keith Salles and Brad mattei down you way .  I'm in Jackson, MS btw. Keith is Dragasixtyinchbusa on here and he can get you in touch with Mattei Cycles  :thumb:
Man, thank you for recommending Brad Mattei.  I dropped my bike off at his shop today.. There are very few people that impress me, and Brad was one of them.  I just dropped off my bike today and already I can see why you recommended him to me.  What a stand up guy.  Already he is a pleasure to deal with.  A+ customer service, second to NONE.

Offline bigbill1441

• Post Master
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 07:37:30 PM »
yes i deal with brad on many occasions he is a all around great guy. :thumb:

Offline Zmydust

• Post Master
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
No problem, I'm happy you found a good place to have your work done. :thumb:
8.74 @166  9 PSI

Offline TT32VGT

• Rider
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »
A+ for Mattei Cycles!  I got my bike back today from Brad and he really went above and beyond my expectations. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:24:37 PM by TT32VGT »

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 09:22:51 PM »
Thats cool you had a good experiance with a shop, cause that does not happen much any more