Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: turbo on track day?  (Read 22378 times)

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
turbo on track day?
« on: November 08, 2008, 01:32:09 PM »
I plan on doing some track days next summer (rebuilding bike now)   any tips or advice for setup? I'm only running 6lbs boost, stock wheelbase.  and dump pipe.

Will be my first track day...

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
Re: turbo on track day?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 03:34:08 PM »
recomend you get a 600  already rashed up ,beater if its your first  time on a road course .
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »
Definatly take something else to your first track day, a Turbo Busa can be fun on a road coarse but not by a newbe, and even in the hands of a good rider a Busa is a heavy beast to push hard in the twisties
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:35:20 AM »
I never been to a track day but a  turbo busa would be hand full

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »
I may take the stock busa out for my first time... but still want to play with the other on the track eventually...
  basicly I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the dump pipe scrubing.

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »
 i think you'll be a hazzard to  yourself and  other riders if you take that out for 1st track day.
 Its not about straight line speed.   You 'll probably get attitude from the staff also.
 How you going to feel if you get lapped by SV 650?

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 01:16:12 PM »
im not just jumping on the track. I signed up for beginers training...  I think they keep you behind an instructor for the first day.

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 03:35:23 PM »
I never been to a track day but a  turbo busa would be hand full
a plain old stock liter bike is a handful.

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
  • Representing San Diego's back roads. Woot!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »
Whatever you do, whatever bike you take (a turbo Busa would not be the greatest choice!), make sure you spend the money and...

Buy the stickiest tires you can get for your bike! Do NOT do a track day with so-so rubber!

I highly recommend the new Dunlop N-Techs or Bridgestone 003's. In fact, get the 190-55/17 size rear.
Take off like a 13, flick it like a 6

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »
Thanks Mospeada

I thought michlin pilots was the tire to have.     I will look into the dunlops

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
Thanks Mospeada

I thought michlin pilots was the tire to have.     I will look into the dunlops

Pilots, yes, but only the Race versions. 2CT I think.

However, I had those, and they didn't grip as well as I wanted them too.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »
Whatever you do, whatever bike you take (a turbo Busa would not be the greatest choice!), make sure you spend the money and...

Buy the stickiest tires you can get for your bike! Do NOT do a track day with so-so rubber!

I highly recommend the new Dunlop N-Techs or Bridgestone 003's. In fact, get the 190-55/17 size rear.
If your bound and determined to take the busa, a big +1 on the sticky tires, still not a good idea, if you got a nice looking bike you don't want to crash it even if you don't get hurt your going to bugger up the bike big time, that is unless you just ride around and hold everybody up, in which case going to track day is a waste of time
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline bobu

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »
My pipe scraped at deals gap, surprised me, I wasnt wearing full leathers so I wasnt all out.
I wasnt on the 1000 in the pic, I was on a turbo busa with what I concidered normal length dump pipes.

After 50 years of street, 2 track days improved my corner speed aprox 30 %, if you have chicken strips, and dont loose them on the 1st track day , you will on the 2nd.
I highly recomend good leathers and  RACE PLASTIC
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:33:00 PM by bobu »

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »
im not just jumping on the track. I signed up for beginers training...  I think they keep you behind an instructor for the first day.

I guess it sounded like Im busting on you  and I apologize .
Good on you for taking that first step and getting to the track (well your almost there)
 Whatever  bike you take have lots of fun and report back . Remember  not to many people were born fast on the track  It takes some seat time.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:10:45 PM by zzr12pete »

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 06:55:25 PM »
I plan on doing some track days next summer (rebuilding bike now)   any tips or advice for setup? I'm only running 6lbs boost, stock wheelbase.  and dump pipe.

Will be my first track day...

What track are you going to?

If you're going to hit a tight technical track like Jennings in Florida I would say "no" to a track day with a turbo.  You can't get enough ground clearance with the dump pipe for one and the first time thing.....that would be just plain stupid.

If you're going to a wide track with sweeping turns like Moroso I'd say......be careful.  I'd also say try to get another bike to practice with for your first time and work on rider position, throttle control, and finding your race lines.  The other suggestions such as good leathers, new tires, and seat time aren't a bad idea either.

Remember.....you're not going to be Rossi or Spies your first time out so ride within your limits.  The speed thing is addicting and you will want to go faster so work on mastering corners with skill before power.  My $02.

Jason
Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure.

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa
Ninja 250.........daily driver

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 07:12:08 PM »
I also recommend Schnitz's 1 inch *raising* links and a tall (190/55) tire to help with what little ground clearance we got.

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
I got the raising links on my list. (was told soupy makes them now) anyone tried them?
     Ive got about a quarter of inch chicken strips on both stock and turbo busa
making race plastics from the extra set I have.(no head light, tail light, signals...)
 still havn't decided on what leathers to get... I plan on getting the one piece.
my mesh icon suit is allowed for training group, but I plan on going ahead and getting the leather anyway.

Offline JHerheim

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 07:19:58 PM »
Been there done that.   Fun, fun fun.    dump pipes are a no no  period.  You will hit them.  You may crash.   Air filter sticking out will also be a no, no. 

If you could cover those things it will be great.    I did one and smiled all day long.  Nothing quite like power wheelies on command and getting the handle on wheel spin.    And the first knee down sensation is kinda weird. 

Ride within your limits.  NO BODY WINS AT A TRACK DAY,  it's not a race.

Offline megawatt

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »
I wonder if the turbo ever made it to the trackday?

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 07:36:39 AM »
no I still havn't made it to a track day...   low oil pressure toasted my motor and im just now getting back on the road.

I just picked up a 03 gsxr 1000 for cheap so this will end up being my track bike
1070cc
je pistons, carrillo rods, web cams, adjustable sprockets, billet clutch basket

Offline megawatt

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
 :thumb:

Offline macon454

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 09:28:20 PM »
Track days are Awesome, You cant never get enuff of them. :thumb:
181.552 mph Texas mile on a B-King 3/28/09

Offline shakabusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 10:42:13 AM »
I know how a turbo works so just watch yourself and take it easy until you find what's comfortable and safe.  Se if you start to drag your dumps and get off them quick;  Hopefully you won't drag them at all.  Go fast if you like in sections you feel safe to do so.  Above all...have a great time.  Few riders have th nuts to do what you're doing;  Please above above all have a safe ride.  Please let us know how it goes.  You might have to put some sort of shorty pipe on it instead of the dump if you want to continue.  The reason I'm so interested is because I love motorcycle road racing a la Keith Code California Superbike School and I'm building a turbo.  Peace and Good Luck, nic

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
a dump pipe will scrape

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
Turbo-Hayabusa+little or no track experience=high probability of spectacular high-side.

Offline Pan

• Rider
  • Aussie Hayabusa Track bike
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 06:35:51 AM »
Has anyone noticed this thread started nearly 5 years ago?
Hayabusa Track bike

Offline shakabusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 11:59:10 PM »
It sounds like you got the answer you were looking for and the dump pipe will be a problem.  Not knowing anything about your experience the equation for a spectacular high side also looks sound.  Its no big deal to put it off and use another bike for your first day.  I stand corrected as I missed a couple of important pieces of the puzzle. I like the idea of GP style meg or some other pipe and much more importantly you getting some experience first.  I'm doing 2 days at the California Superbike School for my first track experience Aug 26-7 at New Jersey Motorsports Park.  That's on top of 20k miles since September of last year all the while studying Twist of the Wrist !! and, more recently, participating in the CSS Forums which is truly like going to college.  My tubo goes on in February.  Here's hoping we both have great experiences on our turbo Busas on the track.  We won't be the first to do so that's for sure.
Just noticed the thread is old so I guess I'm the one who currently needed answers!  Thanks.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 03:22:46 PM »
Has anyone noticed this thread started nearly 5 years ago?
Yeah, I noticed that, ether the dude never got to the track or he's still there  :lol: