Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 200MPH or Bust!!!!  (Read 28956 times)

Offline halvefast

• Rider
  • Rich Halverson
Re: 200MPH or Bust!!!!
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »
AERO is everything.  Your tuck is what it's all about.  You can be 200+lbs, but if you can get SMALL inside the still air pocket beind your screen and body work, you have a better chance of success.

Guy

I'm with you there Guy, I found just shy of 5mph by changing my riding style in one day! :wink:
Just 1/2 fast!
Personal Best so far:
9.44 @ 144mph 64"
9.65 @ 143mph 60"
TexasMile 200mph Club
Oct. 2008 - 202.577mph
http://twitter.com/Halvefast

Offline GenII Busa

• Rider
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2009, 03:07:33 PM »
Accelerating to 200mph in just 1 mile is all together differant that going 200mph on a 5mile course.

No doubt ... that's pretty obvious.  Hitting 200 mph with unlimited road ahead is easier than in a standing mile.

A bone stock GenII will NOT go 200mph.  A modified genII with pipe, PCIII, special fuel, a small rider (Lee Shierts) just barely made 200mph.  here's the article.
http://www.1st-to-the-finish-line.com/news/news-brocks-performance.html

Wow ... that's just hard to believe knowing a bone stock 99 Busa went 194 mph.  The GenII is putting out nearly 25 more HP at the crank then the GenI Busas.  Gen II Busas make ~170 - 175 rwhp on the dyno without ram-air (about 10 HP more @ 200 mph with ram-air) ... which is right about what you need for 200 mph.  Maybe the aeros are not as good on the GenII, or they had a dog for their test bike.

From the article, he went 202 mph and said:
"Of course, we are very pleased to be the first 08 Busa to go over 200mph, but to be honest the bike has a lot more left in it. With more time and tuning, I feel like it will go even faster” said owner and tuner, Brock Davidson."

Obviously, the mods are supplying more HP to go a significant amount over 200 mph.  Every 1 mph in the 200 mph range takes ~ 3 more HP ... so going 205 takes about 15 more rwhp than going 200.  It's significant.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 03:17:41 PM by GenII Busa »

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2009, 03:56:25 PM »
You'll just have to learn for yourself I guess.  Come to Maxton, El Mirage or Texas and try your theories.
Good luck.
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2009, 04:29:44 PM »
i was trying for 5 years to hit 200mph on my NA ZX12, but just couldn't break outa the mid 190's.

Then I put on a very sturdy universal LSR chainguard from Panther Racing (or something like that, i can't remember exactly...)

The very next time out, i went 203.2 (at Maxton last June)!

big :thumb: to Lion Racing!
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »
You crack me up

Guy
Official Site Supporter

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
Accelerating to 200mph in just 1 mile is all together differant that going 200mph on a 5mile course.

No doubt ... that's pretty obvious.  Hitting 200 mph with unlimited road ahead is easier than in a standing mile.

A bone stock GenII will NOT go 200mph.  A modified genII with pipe, PCIII, special fuel, a small rider (Lee Shierts) just barely made 200mph.  here's the article.

Wow ... that's just hard to believe knowing a bone stock 99 Busa went 194 mph.  The GenII is putting out nearly 25 more HP at the crank then the GenI Busas.  Gen II Busas make ~170 - 175 rwhp on the dyno without ram-air (about 10 HP more @ 200 mph with ram-air) ... which is right about what you need for 200 mph.  Maybe the aeros are not as good on the GenII, or they had a dog for their test bike.

"Of course, we are very pleased to be the first 08 Busa to go over 200mph, but to be honest the bike has a lot more left in it. With more time and tuning, I feel like it will go even faster” said owner and tuner, Brock Davidson."

Obviously, the mods are supplying more HP to go a significant amount over 200 mph.  Every 1 mph in the 200 mph range takes ~ 3 more HP ... so going 205 takes about 15 more rwhp than going 200.  It's significant.

It doesn't matter what the HP is look at the gearing on both....
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline GenII Busa

• Rider
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2009, 06:07:53 PM »

It doesn't matter what the HP is look at the gearing on both....

I already mentioned that a re-gear would probably be in order,  It's obvious that re-gearing would be needed to match the power ... that's always true in a top end run.

It just surprises me that someone hasn't gotten very near to or has hit 200 mph on a GenII Busa that's bone stock with maybe a one tooth re-gear to take full advantage of the power.  That's all.

So does anyone know what the record is on a completely bone stock GenII with maybe some re-gearing?  If it's less than 194 mph I'd have to wonder what's going on.  :?  And I'm not talking about a standing 1 mile run, but a run for true top end on a stretch long enough to get there.

I believe that 99 Busa that did 194 mph by Cycle World was putting down 160 rwhp.  GenII Busas should put down about 175 ~ 178 rwhp which should be good for about 198 mph if all conditions and gearing is perfect.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:55:36 PM by GenII Busa »

Offline ex-skydiver

• Rider
  • Ontario
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2009, 08:02:40 PM »
Karl:
I wish you had told me that the magic chain guard was your secret, I could have saved a ton of $ that I've spent on this turbo project.  Amazing how quickly all those $20 and $30 parts add up.
03 'Busa
01 'Busa RCC Stage I Turbo
H-2 project.  Who knows?
No results worth mentioning

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »
GenII_Busa,

I don't know if you mean all stock with just a re-gear or what but a UK magazine (I believe TWO) did just that not long after Brock went 200 at Maxton.  They broke 200mph on a 1.5-mile runway but it had the basic mods (Gen-I Yosh pipe, PCIII USB, TRE, and re-geared)...
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline GenII Busa

• Rider
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2009, 09:28:07 PM »
GenII_Busa,

I don't know if you mean all stock with just a re-gear or what but a UK magazine (I believe TWO) did just that not long after Brock went 200 at Maxton.  They broke 200mph on a 1.5-mile runway but it had the basic mods (Gen-I Yosh pipe, PCIII USB, TRE, and re-geared)...

When I say bone stock I mean zero mods to the engine ... just like off the showroom floor, except of course disabling the speed limiter.  But yes, a re-gear would have been the only change to the bike.  Just wondering if anyone has done that, and if so what the official results were.

Offline GenII Busa

• Rider
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
You'll just have to learn for yourself I guess.  Come to Maxton, El Mirage or Texas and try your theories.
Good luck.

Well of course we all know a bone stock GenII Busa will not do 200 mph in a standing mile - and I'm not asking that.  We all know there's a big difference between a standing mile top end run and a full out top end run with basically unlimited distance to get to max speed.

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2009, 04:10:22 AM »
John,
Yes indeed, that chainguard made a buncha difference!  196.8 in Texas with Trac chainguard, 203.2 at Maxton with the Cougar Racing (not sure of name, but GREAT service) chainguard, no other differences.
I'm thinking of putting 2 of em on for March at the Texas Mile!

How is yr turbo coming along?

Karl:
I wish you had told me that the magic chain guard was your secret, I could have saved a ton of $ that I've spent on this turbo project.  Amazing how quickly all those $20 and $30 parts add up.

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2009, 06:53:42 AM »
John,
Yes indeed, that chainguard made a buncha difference!  196.8 in Texas with Trac chainguard, 203.2 at Maxton with the Cougar Racing (not sure of name, but GREAT service) chainguard, no other differences.

Karl:

Karl, you're testing me aren't you.
Official Site Supporter

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2009, 06:56:20 AM »
John,

Karl:

Karl, you're testing me aren't you.

Guy,
you make such great parts and have un-equalled customer service; I figure you are beyond "testing"!
(but i can always try, although I am running out of big cats...:D)

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2009, 07:15:58 AM »
Lynx, Cougar, Lion, Puma, Leopard, but only the Tiger is know to be a Man eater and drag it's prey off into the wild to devour.

See you soon my friend.
Official Site Supporter

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »
GenII_Busa,

When I say bone stock I mean zero mods to the engine ... just like off the showroom floor, except of course disabling the speed limiter.  But yes, a re-gear would have been the only change to the bike.  Just wondering if anyone has done that, and if so what the official results were.

It won't happen.  Based on aero alone, the Gen-II doesn't have the power to do it...

Offline ex-skydiver

• Rider
  • Ontario
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
Karl:
I should be bringing the baby home in the next few days so I can install a Black Panther chain guard.  I'm just waiting for a call to say come and get it.
03 'Busa
H-2 project.  Who knows?

Offline GenII Busa

• Rider
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2009, 12:37:33 AM »
GenII_Busa,

It won't happen.  Based on aero alone, the Gen-II doesn't have the power to do it...

Yes, we all agree that a bone stock GenII Busa will not do 200 mph ... but the question is what is the highest top end anyone has tested a showroom bone factory GenII Busa to with the speed limiter disabled, of course - and maybe a slight regear?

If it can't do over 194 mph or even over 196 then the aeros must be worse than the GenI
Busa.  15~20 more rwhp should be good for about 5 or 6 more mph on the top end vs. a GenI Busa ... theoretically of course.  But if it doesn't show some improved top end, then something is holding it back like bad aerodynamics and/or an ineffective ram-air system.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:39:17 AM by GenII Busa »

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2009, 08:31:10 AM »
AERO yes, but not the bikes aero, the rider is/was the unknown factor.  If you had put the same rider on all of the test bikes you would have a better comparison.
Official Site Supporter

Offline Mospeada

• Post Master
  • Representing San Diego's back roads. Woot!
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
GenII_Busa,

Yes, we all agree that a bone stock GenII Busa will not do 200 mph ... but the question is what is the highest top end anyone has tested a showroom bone factory GenII Busa to with the speed limiter disabled, of course - and maybe a slight regear?

If it can't do over 194 mph or even over 196 then the aeros must be worse than the GenI
Busa.  15~20 more rwhp should be good for about 5 or 6 more mph on the top end vs. a GenI Busa ... theoretically of course.  But if it doesn't show some improved top end, then something is holding it back like bad aerodynamics and/or an ineffective ram-air system.

Ha! I WISHED it was just a matter of 15-20 rwhp to get 6 mph for 200. At those speeds, 20 rwhp is just not enough, you need a lot more my friend.

At those speeds, aero's and efficiency play a bigger role for top end.

Personally, give me a 2nd Gen, pc, TRE de-restrictor, a clean/lubed non-O-ring chain, poor man's bearing mods/ceramics, no head wind, no mud flap, small box mod, ram air seals, ram air screens removed, pry'd rear brake pads, no mirrors or bar end weights, 50 psi in the tires, Pazzo shorties, and a REALLY damn good tuck and I *MIGHT* touch 200 mph....

....if I'm lucky. With a tail wind.

And perfect conditions.
Take off like a 13, flick it like a 6

Offline ex-skydiver

• Rider
  • Ontario
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »
Karl:
I'm just going to head out to the garage and install my Siberian Tiger (extended) Chain Guard.  This plus 259 hp should get me going faster than last June.  Still lots to be done.  Maybe it will take until  this June.
03 'Busa
H-2 project.  Who knows?

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2009, 01:57:42 PM »
Karl:
I'm just going to head out to the garage and install my Siberian Tiger (extended) Chain Guard.  This plus 259 hp should get me going faster than last June.  Still lots to be done.  Maybe it will take until  this June.

hey John,
cool!  turbo! Siberian Tiger guard.  that'll work!

June at Maxton?  Gary & I will hopefully be there to cheer you on.

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2009, 02:18:27 PM »
Yes sir, I like June. Hope to see you there.

Offline GBUSA

• Post Whore
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2009, 01:43:58 PM »
 8) 8)
9.36@148 wit bone stock motor @ 60"

Offline GenII Busa

• Rider
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »
GenII_Busa,

Ha! I WISHED it was just a matter of 15-20 rwhp to get 6 mph for 200. At those speeds, 20 rwhp is just not enough, you need a lot more my friend.

At those speeds, aero's and efficiency play a bigger role for top end.

Depends if you're talking 200 mph in a standing mile or 200 mph top end with unlimited road to get there.  20 rwhp really should give you 5 or 6 mph on the top end at those speeds if nothing else changes, and you have miles of road to get to terminal speed.