Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Got-Busa? 2008 Project bike....  (Read 195297 times)

Offline dadofthree

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: Got-Busa? 2008 Project bike....
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
Let us know how it goes. Best of luck  :bike:

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Thanks Alan!  Ya, I've been trying to do it for to long and have had WAY to much going on.  I finally got tired of it sitting and just said screw it, it's time.  Same Turbo (as far as I know), I decided 400whp should be more then enough for a while for what I want.  If I ever need more then that, it will probably become a full blow race bike at that point.  I actually forgot to bring the windscreen with me and wanted pics before I left so it just ended up that way for the shots.  It will be at Wilmington this weekend for its first race so hopefully everything goes smooth... :D

I hit you up on my thread on MH about the details of your kit but I went back and re-read your thread....  Awesome street turbo kit for sure.....exactly what I would want... That turbo is PLENTY  for what most of us do....  A 35R would suck on the street...

Yours made pretty much exactly the same HP as mine did at each boost level.... My compression is prolly a little lower with the JE dish pistons tho...

You're gonna want to put a 4" arm on that thing so its rideable... I ride mine at stock height, 3.5" over, 19/47 gearing and a 14.5lb spring.... Its ALMOST too much for 3rd gear....sometimes it power wheelies 3rd, sometimes not...depends on if I nail it quickly or roll into it.  I pretty much forgot I even have 1st/2nd gear, I don't even try to play in those.  Big spring and low gearing makes it nasty..... I can grab half throttle and it will spin the tire from 40-50 mph in 2nd... :bah:

You're gonna love the shit...
2000 turbo-busa, RCC Stg 2 intercooled, 319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@28lbs
Texas Mile March 09, 225.906 mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14lbs

2013 BMW S1000rr, Brocks CT exh, 185hp

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
Thanks Alan!  Ya, I've been trying to do it for to long and have had WAY to much going on.  I finally got tired of it sitting and just said screw it, it's time.  Same Turbo (as far as I know), I decided 400whp should be more then enough for a while for what I want.  If I ever need more then that, it will probably become a full blow race bike at that point.  I actually forgot to bring the windscreen with me and wanted pics before I left so it just ended up that way for the shots.  It will be at Wilmington this weekend for its first race so hopefully everything goes smooth... :D

Remember to datalog EVERY pass..... You never know when it may pop and you'll need the data if it does... Plus you may need to add some fuel to it out on the track.
2000 turbo-busa, RCC Stg 2 intercooled, 319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@28lbs
Texas Mile March 09, 225.906 mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14lbs

2013 BMW S1000rr, Brocks CT exh, 185hp

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
Figured I would update the thread and give some results of the first time out with the new Turbo build.

We arrived in Ohio the week before the September Wilmington Mile race to see some family and take a little vacation.  Due to the mishap at the last event no other events license or speed runs would count and everyone had to start over going fast.  That meant I would need to do a 150, 175, 200,...shake down run before I could go wide open throttle.  I rode the bike around on Thursday doing some testing and everything worked great.  Got to the track on Friday for tech and the bike ran fine.  The bike was inspected and passed tech with flying colors then covered for the night. 

We arrived early Saturday to be first in line and get the license runs done. Put the key in and the bike won't run.  Cranks and cranks, fires for a second or two then dies.  I figured it was just cold because of the temperature drop over night so keep trying and nothing.  The bike ran fine the day before so I lift the tank to look around and it fires right up.  We looked everything over checked all the fuel lines and wiring and couldn't find anything.  Lowered the tank and went and got in line.  I waited 3 1/2 hours to make my first run; didn't get 500' down the track and the bike starts sputtering and dies.  I keep restarting it and limp it off the track.  Back to the pits, we pull the tank again and start looking at everything.  Can't find a single thing anywhere.  I start pulling plugs and checking connectors, wiring, etc...everything to find something and nothing.  Start it up and do a few test runs up and down the pits, everything seems to be normal so we go get in line again.  There were a bunch of people and both lines were over a 1/4 mile long.  We waited and waited another 2 1/2 hours but the second run never came on Saturday.  We had to leave by 4pm to get back for my daughters Birthday so we only got one failed attempt on Saturday. Bummer...

Sunday morning with the lines, we arrived again extra early to test the bike and make sure everything was okay.  The bike fired right up did a few runs and everything seemed fine.  I got my gear on and headed for the starting line.  Just about to the starting line and the bike starts bucking and surging.  At this point I'm beyond pissed and head back to the pits.  I remove all the fairings and start going part by part, wire by wire, and connector by connector trying to figure it out.  It looks like one of the fuel pump wires (not the lines) may have got bent or tweaked so we fixed it.  I left all the fairings off and went out for a quick street ride to see what it would do.  At that point the bike ran fine.  Did a couple of quick blasts up to 160mph with no issues.  The bike purred like a kitten same as it did before.  I went back and put all the fairings back on.  At that point it was almost 10am so I went and got in line. 

The lines at that point started getting shorter and shorter.  At 11:30 I finally got my first run down the course.  Everything went smooth as butter as I putted down the track watching the GPS closely to make sure I didn't break out of my speed.  I needed to stay within +/- 10mph of the first license speed of 150mph.  As I watched the GPS display 155mph all the way down course I made quick glances back and forth.  Just before the traps I saw 148....then 144...so I gave it a little bit of gas just before the line so I wouldn't go below 140mph.  My first run resulted in a 160.011mph run. 

I almost broke out so I got very lucky on that run.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:24:11 PM by Got-Busa? »
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »
By this point it was approaching noon and we heard that a lot of people leave after noon on Sunday to make the long drive home.  That worked out great for us because I hurried to get back in line to make another license pass.  By this time the lines kept getting shorter and shorter.  It was a little after 1pm when I got my second license run done.  On the 175 license I ended up running 174.643mph!

It was getting late and racing stopped at 4pm so we hurried again to get back in line.  On my third pass I ran a nice and easy run up to 200mph and just shifted into 6th and cruised through the traps running 202.399!  First 200mph pass on the Turbo setup...  :mrgreen:  :thumb:

I looked at my watch and hurried back in line.  It was a little after 3:20pm at this point and I wasn't sure if I'd get another run.  I got up to the starting area and there were a bunch of people ahead but most were bikes.  I was lucky enough to get called into the pre-stage area at 3:50 and there were still 10 people ahead of me.  I thought no way am I going to get another run.  So I just waited and waited and finally they make the radio announcement that it's 4pm.  I thought for sure we were done.  There were still 4 people ahead of me and then Al the starter says I would be the last run of the event.  I got excited that I would finally be able to make a full pass going wide open throttle and seeing what the Turbo was capable off. 

Last run ended up being only 204.542mph!

The good news is I didn't hurt anything on the bike, I beat my previous best of 204.465 when I was stock engine N/A... :lol:

BUT....I found out I have plenty of power I haven't even used and I have a LOT of tuning and experimenting to do with ECU editor.  The boost was turned way down.  I was barely even using 240-260whp and due to the boost spiking a few times from 8psi up to 16.6psi according to the log, the bike just shut down.  Once the computer saw that I reached my boost limit (which I had set very low) the ECU essentially shut the bike down in 5th and 6th gear.  So the bike ran fine through 4th, wheelied just a little in 4th and then once I shifted the bike into 5/6 the bike quit pulling.  It surged on/off as the computer fought to keep the boost below my target setting at half track.  So the bike pulled fine into 4th and essentially coasted through the traps in 6th gear since the ECU wouldn't allow me to over-boost and build power in the last two gears.

I know, rookie mistake on my part but then again it's my first TURBO-bike, first time out with the Turbo, first time at Wilmington, and many other firsts.  I'm really just glad to get back out racing.  I've taken almost two years off racing and have had two beautiful daughters in that time.  It felt good just to get back out to the track, see some old friends, and enjoy the toy again.  I'm looking forward to next year and trying some new stuff and changing the setup a little.  Good to know I've got an extra 200whp left on the table that I haven't even touched yet.  :tu:

Another funny part is I missed the class record by .02mph.....  :hys:

I just want to thank my father in-law Steve for taking off work and coming out to the races to help with loading, unloading, trouble shooting, etc..etc...and everything!  Thank you to my family for the support, Mike and Austin for bringing your pit bike to run around on and help.  Thanks to Charles Freeman at the track for getting ECU editor working again on my laptop, and JP for checking out my logbox.

Also want to thank Rick Livy @ Rick's Custom Cycle for the build!

Richard Peppler @ RCC Turbo's for the kit and all the TURBO knowledge and help!

Thank you Brock @ Brock's Performance, Johnny Cheese, Shane Stubbs, Tom Gates, Bill Warner, Bob Sellers, Guy Caputo, Karl Gunter, and many others I'm probably forgetting.  Thank you guys for taking the time and sharing your knowledge and secrets to the newbie!  :tu:  :beechug:

Until next year when I can turn it up...  :trb:  :USA: ...thank you all!

Remember,.....BE SAFE, GO FAST, and HAVE FUN!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:49:46 AM by Got-Busa? »
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
 :tu:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Mike-Nightrider

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2012, 01:05:51 AM »
 :beechug:
Dragraceteam NIGHTRIDER
1/8: 5.101s..........1/4: 7.801s
227.7mph Woodbridge/GB 2013

Offline Road Weazel

• Rider
« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2012, 03:40:56 PM »
Excellent thread! I'm currently debating on what would be my best choice for breaking 200 and a stock Hayabusa with minor mods is starting to look like my best option.
Thanx!
Weazel
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba..." - HST

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
Did some testing at Johnny Cheeses shop last weekend and things are looking good for the Texas Mile! 

We played with the ECU editor and tested a few things.  The tune looks to be spot on so we'll see how it goes... :thumb:

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
  • Who doesn't love a wet pussy... Cat?
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2013, 11:27:47 AM »
 :tu: :tu:
2003 Katana 7/12: Daily Rider
2006 Busa: "Thing 3", 1430+cc weekend bike
Suzuki GSXR 750 (multiple years): Track bike
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »
I guess it's time to finally update this after all this time.  Life has been more than busy just glad to get back out and do a little racing...  :thumb:

March 22nd:

I had to work in the morning so wasn't planning to race Friday.  I arrived in Beeville TX about 3pm to race on the new Texas Mile track located at Chase Field.  No issues with tech or anything.  Made sure to take my time on the track drive through and look everything over real close.  I wanted to pay close attention to the new course due to previous events.  Everything looked great, they had worked on the transition patches and they felt/looked really nice.  The shutdown was longer than Goliad and they seemed to have did a lot of work with the big patch area at the very end.  After checking everything over I was ready for the next morning shake down runs.

March 23rd:

I arrived at the track at 6:30am (racing starts at 8am) and there was already a GIANT line waiting at the grid.  By the time I got in line I was about three rows back before I would get my first run in.

Considering how far back I was, I ran my first pass just after 9am. 

This was a shakedown run to test the bike as well as the track.  I took off very slow because I wasn't sure how the ECU editor boost control was going to react after the latest updates/changes.  Started off very slow and everything felt perfect, smooth, and no issues so stayed in it for the full mile.

VIDEO of my slow start (THANK YOU Charles): 
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151510459089162

VIDEO down track I found online: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkLSF5Hxt_Y
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:22:54 PM by Got-Busa? »

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »
After the first shakedown, I felt more confident to go a little faster and give it a little more throttle...

Well this pass was going great and smooth.  Just after the 3/4-mile sign (estimate around 220ish) I felt something hit my left leg so I let up and coasted through the lights.  I start thinking WTFO was that and look down.  My front lower fairings on BOTH sides ripped completely off and disintegrated. 

At this point I was kind of pissed because I wasn't sure what to do next since I still had a full day and a half of racing left.

I went and took a break and just relaxed for a while.  By this point the temps had gotten into the high-80's and it was starting to get HOT!

After a bit of looking and talking to my buddy Bob Sellers, he said "just run it naked!"  I thought about it for a second and said...."OK!" :lol:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:17:51 PM by Got-Busa? »

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2013, 10:31:40 PM »
March 24th:

I was up early again and still three rows back..lol.

I also went ahead and taped my ram-air openings close this time in hopes of a little help due to no lowers.

I also decided to turn up the boost for day two since the bike was a complete dog in 1st-4th gear.  With the boost turned up and the weather conditions in our favor I made my third run.

You can tell by my half mile speeds that I've still got a long way to go in the first half mile...

At this point I was like a kid on Christmas morning! :D  I couldn't be happier because I met my goal of over 220mph but.....

I still had a lot left on the table fighting wheelies through 4th gear.  I was going to just pack it up and go home but figured I would try one more time and see if I could get a cleaner start and first half.

On my second run I was a little cleaner starting but still BIG wheelies and wheel spin in 5th/6th...

The run wasn't anywhere close to being clean but at least I know I have plenty more on the table for improvement.  Just happy to be back racing and get some runs in safely this weekend.  I'll be back for more with more tuning/tweaking and progress.  But for now I'm VERY HAPPY with the results.

I want to thank a LOT of people for helping me get to this point.   

Rick @ Rick's Custom Cycles
Richard @ RCC Turbo's
Johnny Cheese Performance
Bill Warner
Bob Sellers
Tom Gates
Shane Stubbs
...and many many others you know who you are!  :thumb:

Of course thanks to my family, wife and kids for allowing me to continue my hobby after these last few tough years.  Love you guys!

BE SAFE, HAVE FUN, AND GO FAST!!!!  :thumb:   :USA: :trb:

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2013, 07:51:32 PM »
Some photos...

What NOT to do with toes, elbows, knees... :lol:

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2013, 12:32:06 AM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:50:26 AM by Got-Busa? »

Offline Texanzone

• Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2013, 05:58:24 AM »
good job and I voted for you

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »
Registered and voted for ya bro,great job and good luck. :tu:

(off your ass and on your feet you slackers,no reason not to get Josh 1000's of votes off this site :thumb:)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2013, 11:06:21 AM »
Thank you guys!  :beechug: :USA:

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:11 PM »

Offline Dolphin

• Administrator
  • Rider
« Reply #144 on: April 06, 2013, 12:39:06 PM »
Entered into The Ultimate Hayabusa challenge--> http://ultimatebusa.com/contests/showentry/1407676?showH2HDetails=true  PLEASE vote for me!

Done, 5 stars!

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2013, 11:10:31 PM »
Appreciate the support everyone! :thumb:

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »
Time for an update with the latest changes:

OEM was coming up on 6-years old and decided to try one of the new Lithium battery's from SHORAI!

Saved about 5lbs over the stock (sorry about the pic quality, they are from my phone this time).

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:59:20 PM by Got-Busa? »

Offline Ezduzit

• Post Whore
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2013, 01:57:11 PM »
How much?

Sent from my busa.

Long and low!

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #148 on: May 01, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
Depending which you choose, they are anywhere from $140-170 for the Shorai.  Others can be $170-200+.

I paid $143 shipped! 

Offline Ezduzit

• Post Whore
Re: Re: Got-Busa? 2008 Project bike....
« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »
Depending which you choose, they are anywhere from $140-170 for the Shorai.  Others can be $170-200+.

I paid $143 shipped!

Ok, about time for me to replace mine.

Sent from my busa.

Long and low!