Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: mild web cams, do i REALLY need a $400 set of springs w/ titanium retainers?  (Read 11896 times)

Offline Blackcloud

• Post Whore
no I meant spring. with a turbo motor and stock cams, can i go up to  50/60# springs and still use stock retainers? or am I really taking a big chance of pulling the keepers through the stock aluminum
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:51:23 PM by Blackcloud »

Offline Jay

• Post Master
Probably if you keep an eye on them. Valve tip usually sits .050" below the retainer. If that measurement gets to be more, change them out.

The road race teams with the 1000s just change them out after each race.

Offline mountainmotor

• Post Whore
no I meant spring. with a turbo motor and stock cams, can i go up to  50/60# springs and still use stock retainers? or am I really taking a big chance of pulling the keepers through the stock aluminum

You'll be OK on a Busa because the open pressure with the stock cams will be down a little bit from less lift ,vs a hi-lift cam with more radical rates of lift. Always replace the collets with new during a re-fresh and look over the valve where the collets fit  . Naturally some will depend on time and wear of the spring tops and valves your starting with if used.

The 1st gen Busa generates wear on the exhaust side valve retainers a little earlier than the intake side especially where the shim fits ,but not limited to. Probably because of harmonics or other thats not necessary to stray into a topic about . Just keep an eye on them during maintenance .

To give an idea how long spring tops last in the road race world , Honda HRC recommended changing their CBR1000RR tops and collets and springs at 15000 kilometers of racing . Thats w/o differentiating between sprints or endurance .

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
Not sure bu i think Kibblewhite makes all of them for the vendors...

Not hardly. They only make their own.

Jay

Not what i have been told by other Vendors but was not positive... :thumb:

Offline tyboogie

• Rider
  • Where am I? Don't worry bout it

You'll be OK on a Busa because the open pressure with the stock cams will be down a little bit from less lift ,vs a hi-lift cam with more radical rates of lift. Always replace the collets with new during a re-fresh and look over the valve where the collets fit  . Naturally some will depend on time and wear of the spring tops and valves your starting with if used.

The 1st gen Busa generates wear on the exhaust side valve retainers a little earlier than the intake side especially where the shim fits ,but not limited to. Probably because of harmonics or other thats not necessary to stray into a topic about . Just keep an eye on them during maintenance .

To give an idea how long spring tops last in the road race world , Honda HRC recommended changing their CBR1000RR tops and collets and springs at 15000 kilometers of racing . Thats w/o differentiating between sprints or endurance .

What's a collet ?

Offline Busa Quick

• Post Master

The two halves of the collar "fitted to the center of a spring retainer" which fits around the stem of a valve and traps the spring against the cylinder head are known as split collets.

Black and Purple 04, MY MODS: Turbo, .08 spacer, s2000 injectors, yosh cams 7.2 spring, heavy clutch springs, APE valve springs, raised rev limiter to 11,500 rpm with ignition cut only, using only stock ECM with Petrik reprogramming method,

Offline tyboogie

• Rider
  • Where am I? Don't worry bout it

The two halves of the collar "fitted to the center of a spring retainer" which fits around the stem of a valve and traps the spring against the cylinder head are known as split collets.

Thank you :thumb:

Offline Jay

• Post Master

Keepers??

Offline Blackcloud

• Post Whore
Hey Jay, I just ordered a set of your 65# springs.

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Jay, thats what I always called them. :D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline mountainmotor

• Post Whore
I've called them valve locks , keepers and collets .

Suzuki calls them a - Cotter - and using that can help speed up the OEM phone order if the part number is not in hand , depending who's on the other end of the line .

Offline Busa Quick

• Post Master

Keepers??

I have called them keepers in the past too. I knew what a collet was but, I went to Wikipedia to make sure I could get a good definition that he could understand. Collets are also used in pulleys to help them mate with shafts.

Mark
Black and Purple 04, MY MODS: Turbo, .08 spacer, s2000 injectors, yosh cams 7.2 spring, heavy clutch springs, APE valve springs, raised rev limiter to 11,500 rpm with ignition cut only, using only stock ECM with Petrik reprogramming method,

Offline quizesilver

• Rider
dear broz
i saw the link on this
http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1021910&showprevnext=1

70-752 EXH  Cam .378/.330 Exhaust Cam Only $366.00     
any idea what is this??
meaning it is a exhaust cam regrind to the profile??
or ?

i am lost.

advise is greatly appreciated. thanks

does tis cam need the spring also ?

Offline APE Dustin

• Rider
    • Hayabusa Zone
That cam is just a billet exhaust cam that has a lift of .330.  With that cam you shouldn't need different springs either.

Offline Jay

• Post Master
Not sure bu i think Kibblewhite makes all of them for the vendors...

Not hardly. They only make their own.

Jay

Not what i have been told by other Vendors but was not positive... :thumb:

You would know right away if you had one of ours and one of theirs sitting on the table in front of you. They are not even close.

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
What about carp heavy duty springs with 385 cams on a street/ race bike???  Is this reliable & longivity???

..........YES

Offline busadt

• Rider
so with web 395 web cams can i run just the hd springs or do i have to do the titanium retainers n all?
dwayne thomas