Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: I know the crank has a 2 mm stroke but will gen I rods work?  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

• Post Whore
I know the crank has a 2 mm stroke but will gen I rods work?
« on: January 19, 2009, 10:45:01 PM »
Sorry for the idiot question but will aftermarket Gen I rods work on a 08 crank.

I am not askin for myself but I told my buddy I would get him the answer.

Thanks!!!!

~JH
02 BL/BLK
Garrett T28@7psi

Busa pwrd Bonneville car 208 mph+
2X world record holder
NA motor: 1507cc
Fastest 1.5L NA door slammer in the world

Offline Shamrock

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Shamrock Racing
Re: I know the crank has a 2 mm stroke but will gen I rods work?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:29:02 PM »
the gen 2 rods have a smaller wrist pin then the gen1
they moved the wrist pin location up in the piston
Just  depends on what you are going to do

Offline 2wicked

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • RCC Turbos
    • RCCTURBOS
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 09:23:56 PM »
Sorry for the idiot question but will aftermarket Gen I rods work on a 08 crank.

Thanks!!!!

~JH

You will also need Gen 1 pistons, then you will need a real thick base spacer to keep the pistons from hitting the head, then the Suzuki cam chain will be too short so you will have to buy the roller chain conversion from APE. Then if you plan on putting the engine back into a motorcycle you won't get the motor mount bolts back in the head. is there a reason you might want to go to all this trouble?

Richard

Offline TrackRat

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:48:37 AM »

Thanks!!!!

~JH

You will also need Gen 1 pistons, then you will need a real thick base spacer to keep the pistons from hitting the head, then the Suzuki cam chain will be too short so you will have to buy the roller chain conversion from APE. Then if you plan on putting the engine back into a motorcycle you won't get the motor mount bolts back in the head. is there a reason you might want to go to all this trouble?

Richard

so the best bet is to get an 08 crank,aftermarket 08 rods,and cp 08 pistons. less headache--- cost only a little more than the other way :brk:

Living the dream.......One round at a time!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »
Thanks for the answers all....

Richard

No brotha, no reason I would want to go to all this trouble. I wasnt sure if they were able to retain Gen I rod dimensions with the stroke. I am selling a set of rods and was asked if they would work on a Gen II motor.

I was doubtful but ya never know!

(truth is it seems if someone were to make a set of bigger pin 08 pistons the Gen I rods would work. I will have to let the guy know that he will have to talk someone into making custom pistons to save a few bucks on some rods!)

~JH
02 BL/BLK
Garrett T28@7psi

Busa pwrd Bonneville car 208 mph+
2X world record holder
NA motor: 1507cc
Fastest 1.5L NA door slammer in the world

Offline 2wicked

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • RCC Turbos
    • RCCTURBOS
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:15:32 AM »
Thanks for the answers all....

Richard

No brotha, no reason I would want to go to all this trouble. I wasnt sure if they were able to retain Gen I rod dimensions with the stroke. I am selling a set of rods and was asked if they would work on a Gen II motor.

I was doubtful but ya never know!

(truth is it seems if someone were to make a set of bigger pin 08 pistons the Gen I rods would work. I will have to let the guy know that he will have to talk someone into making custom pistons to save a few bucks on some rods!)

~JH

The 18 mm pin is directly under the oil ring, there is no room for a bigger pin, you would have to remove a ring landing, and it you offset the pin you will be back to a 99-07 piston which will hit the head due to the 08s stroke.

Richard

Offline Steve@OrientExpress

• SITE SPONSOR
  • Rider
    • Orient Express Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 08:57:11 AM »
Exactly - while it can be done, its generally not worth the effort or expense. There are plenty of K8 components available now, rods, pistons, etc...
OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Steve@OrientExpress.com
http://www.orientexpress.com

I'm here to help - please email me with any questions for quickest reply!

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 06:33:28 AM »
So you guys are saying all the gen1 1441s out there all have to have gen2 rods and pistons because a 40thou spacer wont allow the head to lign up with the frame holes?So how do turbo motors fit in with 80 thou spacer plates?and strokers with 100 thou spacer plates?I agree if your buying a crank and new pistons anyway you may as well buy gen2 rods but i wouldn,t have thought a 1 mm spacer plate would have been a deal breaker.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far